Crossfit.What do people think?

Options
Just found out there a is a crossfit gym in my town. So i started doing some research and found some mix reviews. What do you lot think? does it really make you as fit as they say they do on all these websites?

Replies

• jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    There are lots of threads on this if you search the boards.

Personal Opinion? Not for me. I think it can get too group-think oriented, and it has the potential to cause a lot of injuries if you happen to have a negligent instructor/gym. Its also pretty expensive.

Counter point? Some people seem to really like the sense of community, and there are lots of people who have gotten very fit from their programs.
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Not my personal cup of tea to be honest. I have some friends who have done crossfit and I can't say that they looked any different than when they weren't doing it.

I will say that they were super annoying with their Facebook posts of the workout that they did, post workout selfies and pictures of their meals. If you're going to do it just don't be like those people.
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Do it. like anything else you get out what you put it in. Be consistent, work hard at skills you need to learn. The community at the box is probably unlike anything else you know.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Not my personal cup of tea to be honest. I have some friends who have done crossfit and I can't say that they looked any different than when they weren't doing it.

I will say that they were super annoying with their Facebook posts of the workout that they did, post workout selfies and pictures of their meals. If you're going to do it just don't be like those people.

This made me LOL because the annoying facebook part is so true (though I reserve my annoying gym posts for instagram where I don't know anyone in real life :p ), I personally lost 70 lbs doing crossfit and got in insanely good shape. Someone just posted a thread on this with a good number of responses both pro and con http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10384188/crossfit/p1
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I was never really fond of any workout until I found Crossfit. I started so weak and overweight, I never thought I could do Crossfit. Little did I know, making the decision to sign up would be the best decision I would ever make!

The sense of community is amazing, you learn to really challenge your body like you never have before, and you learn how to properly lift and use good form. You can always try it for yourself and see if it's for you, you never know until you try!

I will add too after seeing you're a dude, my husband started it lately after doing years of weight lifting. He's getting more toned and defined now than he ever did lifting by himself in the gym. He loves it!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    whatever gets you up and moving is great. Some people love it. Its too much craziness for me personally, i can't keep up in the classes, but lots of people like that high energy stuff. i'm more into slow and steady workouts these days. Its a good workout if you don't go overboard and get hurt.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I have friends that love it. I went to two classes in the last week so I'm definitely not a regular. Before that I had been to three classes because of Yelp and a friend invite. I like group classes so I am a fan of that aspect. Of the gyms that I have been to especially the most recent one the instructor has been great on form and assisting me as it was my second class with him. Last night he gave me an alternative to an exercise because I am just not used to lifting Crossfit style, I suppose you could say. Going forward I could see myself taking a class once or twice a month because the exercises and workouts can get repetitive in my opinion.

I would say check it out. By your original post it sounds like it's the only CF gym whereas here they are on every corner. Every gym now offers a free class or even a week at some of them. That's a good way to test it out.
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Cross fit is the zumba of the weight lifting world.
    It's useful- it's something that gets you moving. It teaches you things.

Can zumba be good? yes- is it going to a dance class? nope.

Can cross fit be good- yeppers- Is it pure weight lifting or real training?- nope.

So- just be aware- it's a thing. It's not full training- it's not power lifting- it's not straight oly lifting.

But it can be good- and it's useful and it's a good workout.

Huh? Strange comparisons. Who in the world ever thought Zumba was the same as a dance class or Crossfit was the same as power lifting or Oly lifting? What does "not full training" even mean?

I don't do any power lifting and I'm quite sure I do "full training" for my goals.
  • amymac87
    amymac87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband got into CrossFit 6 months ago and he loves it. He has lost 40 Pounds and really likes the community aspect. He played football growing up and in college and he says that CrossFit reminds him of it. He also knows proper form and would only go to a gym that encourages good form. I do not like the CrossFit atmosphere and prefer putting headphones in and ignoring everyone at the gym - so however you are best motivated.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Can cross fit be good- yeppers- Is it pure weight lifting or real training?- nope.

So- just be aware- it's a thing. It's not full training- it's not power lifting- it's not straight oly lifting.

Huh? Strange comparisons. Who in the world ever thought Zumba was the same as a dance class or Crossfit was the same as power lifting or Oly lifting? What does "not full training" even mean?

I don't do any power lifting and I'm quite sure I do "full training" for my goals.

its' not strange- it's about the same thing.
    That's what I'm saying though- zumba is a cardio class that includes dance- but it's not dance training.

Cross fit- it's not actual weight training- it's just a workout- with weights.

Cross fit WODS aren't training programs- they are just workouts. They don't have long term goals other than "get better at doing X workout"

People who do the cross fit games- they don't actually train at a box doing cross fit wods. They run oly type training programs in the off season and then ramp up the cardio and "cross fit games" appropriate work. But believe you me- they have fully fleshed out OLY lifting type training programs. They aren't just randomly running Fran as the box decides.

And please don't take my commentary as a negative- I don't have any issue with Zumba or Crossfit. I think they are both fine and appropriate and good.

• Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Search the Forums and you'll find lovers and haters. Most of the haters (repeat most) I don't think have ever tried it. They hate it for other reasons and if you read their comments you'll probably be able to figure it out.

Those how love it, LOVE it. I'd focus on what they say and why. I'm close to hitting my 1 year anniversary doing CrossFit and I can tell you I'll never go back to just working out in a gym on my own. I'd die of boredom.

What I love -
    • Class setting makes working out fun
    • Every day is different
    • It's never easy - you have to challenge yourself every day
    • You push yourself harder than you ever would working out on your own
    • If you are competitive, you'll compete with yourself ever day
    • If you want, for fun you can compete with others, which helps push them to be better, their doing the same then pushes you to be better
    • You'll learn proper form (assuming you don't have a horrible coach)
    • You'll expand your workout shoe collection (inside joke)

My wife started several months ago and LOVES it as well. After picking on me for refusing to miss a day of class, she finally realized what it's all about and it's the first thing she's done and found she can stick to in 20+ years.
  • Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Sticking to any program will make you fit. Try it and if you like it great if you don't then try something else. I've been doing it for almost 2 years and would never do anything else and have gotten great results. Most places will give you a free class or two.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

That's what I'm saying though- zumba is a cardio class that includes dance- but it's not dance training.

Cross fit WODS aren't training programs- they are just workouts. They don't have long term goals other than "get better at doing X workout"

People who do the cross fit games- they don't actually train at a box doing cross fit wods. They run oly type training programs in the off season and then ramp up the cardio and "cross fit games" appropriate work. But believe you me- they have fully fleshed out OLY lifting type training programs. They aren't just randomly running Fran as the box decides.

And please don't take my commentary as a negative- I don't have any issue with Zumba or Crossfit. I think they are both fine and appropriate and good.

But part of every session of CrossFit includes working on specific movements/form/strength. Then you do the WOD.
    Lots of people have specific goals with CrossFit.
    The CrossFit box I used to go to didn't just randomly run workouts, there was a method to his madness.

There is also open gym time where people can come in and work on specific lifts or movements. Lots of the competitors regularly do this.

I agree about CrossFit competitors having Oly lifting programs. The guy who runs the box I used to go to had his own powerlifting coach as well. He also did the WODs.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I thought CrossFit was to fitness what Paleo is to nutrition: better than whatever else you're doing and the hot thing right now. I'd do it, but I can't afford to spend $43,000 a year on a gym membership (yes, that was intended to be hyperbolic).
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

But part of every session of CrossFit includes working on specific movements/form/strength. Then you do the WOD.
    Lots of people have specific goals with CrossFit.
    The CrossFit box I used to go to didn't just randomly run workouts, there was a method to his madness.

There is also open gym time where people can come in and work on specific lifts or movements. Lots of the competitors regularly do this.

I agree about CrossFit competitors having Oly lifting programs. The guy who runs the box I used to go to had his own powerlifting coach as well. He also did the WODs.

Is your Zumba-Lifting-With-Weights-Fit™ now part of your triathlon training? ;)
    TIL that it isn't "real training".
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I tried it before. Let me just say that I'm very competitive and I will kill myself to get the same lifts as a twenty year old working out next to me. Which is not good for me . :) I found that the box I went to did train you properly for the lifts, but when it came to the WOD (workout of the day) It was very competitive and form went to hell in a hand basket to be the first to finish. I know a lot of people who have been injured from the workouts. I now have a bad wrist and a shoulder that still bother me from 5 years ago doing this. Some people love it though.
  • katsoslim
    katsoslim Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know who has done it, loves/loved it. The only negative is becoming one of those "crossfit obsessed people". Lol. I vote to give it a try.