Do you need to eat salads?

Options
canadacatman
canadacatman Posts: 224 Member
edited May 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Do you really need to eat salads to lose weight and get healthier. I do not like eating salads but I love veggies. I try and have 2 cups each with lunch and supper but was told I should start having salads as the veggies are raw and you get more nutrients from them, is this true.

Thanks

Replies

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I'm on coumadin, and have to watch my intake of greenery. So no, you don't need to eat salads to lose weight.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Some nutrients are lost (not totally, but decreased), but some nutrients get more available during cooking. Eating some raw and some cooked vegetables can be smart. I do that every day :D Actual salads is on my menu maybe three-four days every two months.
  • Anaris2014
    Anaris2014 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Salads are a really good way of padding out a meal so that you feel full and are better able to resist the temptation of the dessert tray.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    No
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do you really need to eat salads to lose weight and get healthier. I do not like eating salads but I love veggies. I try and have 2 cups each with lunch and supper but was told I should start having salads as the veggies are raw and you get more nutrients from them, is this true.

Thanks

Not true about raw veggies being necessary.
    Eat the veggies that you cook.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Anaris2014 wrote: »
    Salads are a really good way of padding out a meal so that you feel full and are better able to resist the temptation of the dessert tray.

You could do that with any veggies, though.

No, you don't have to eat salads.
  • Kib13
    Kib13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Salads aren't necessary. I eat them because I enjoy them. If you don't enjoy them, definitely get your veggies in a different way.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Salads are handy as they provide high volume for low calories. Only soup and popcorn do this as well.

Every once in a while I get sick of salads, usually mid winter when fresh veggies are just not as nice. At those times I switch to cooked veggies like spaghetti squash, green beans, and so on.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Thanks

You can lose weight without eating a single salad. Eat them if you want to, but don't feel like you have to.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    No. Eat what you like.
    You do not have to eat any vevetables to lose weight if you have a calorie deficit. You should eat them in some form because they are good for your health.
  • kommodevaran
    edited May 2016
    Options
    After sleeping on this - not liking salads doesn't make sense! 1) the usual salad vegetables are neutral in taste and 2) you can put whatever you like in a salad, almost anything can be called a salad (etymologically, it's "vegetables with salt"), yes, even cooked vegetables.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    After sleeping on this - not liking salads doesn't make sense! 1) the usual salad vegetables are neutral in taste and 2) you can put whatever you like in a salad, almost anything can be called a salad (etymologically, it's "vegetables with salt"), yes, even cooked vegetables.

I don't find them neutral in taste at all
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i love salads but they are absolutely not necessary

just a calorie deficit. fill your allotment with whatever you'd like. i just ate thin mints for breakfast
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Thanks

Nope
    I hardly ever eat salads.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I never make salads at home, but I do eat side salads when I'm out somewhere.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »

Fascinating! Romaine/cos, not even iceberg?
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I love salads and have one every day for my lunch, never get bored of them as there's so many different foods you can add, and it's a great way to get loads of nutrition in one meal if that's what you're interested in. But as you asked no you don't need to eat a salad to lose weight.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »

Fascinating! Romaine/cos, not even iceberg?

I agree, the taste isn't neutral IMO. We all have different types palates and hey, if we all liked the same thing, we'd be boring! Lol

I've started this journey (again) two weeks ago, and the only salad I've had was a grilled chicken house from zaxbys. Well, one day I ate a handful of spinach with lemon juice on it with my lunch. Does that count as salad? Lol
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of salads. I actually don't mind the taste (don't find them neutral at all), I'm just not a fan of the whole eating experience (often feel like my horses look and sound eating a flake of hay). It's not that I WON'T eat them (sometimes I crave them, and there's a few places I eat that have great salads that aren't swimming in gross dressing). I still eat a fair amount of veggies, either cooked or raw. I like to make quinoa salads and put tons of fresh veggies in those. I also find something like that more satisfying and filling than a green salad (though I'll usually mix in some leafy green, too). I think as long as you are eating them (and they aren't typically swimming in butter, smothered in cheese, or beer battered and deep fried), it doesn't really matter.