Constipated

Options
Since, I have started diet I am facing constipation and gas. I include fiber in my diet even more when I was not counting calories . I drink loads of water. Eat cucumbers etc. What should I do now? I cannot rely on laxatives for long.

Replies

• brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    You really shouldn't be relying on a laxative, if at all possible. Do you drink coffee? I find that within 15-20 minutes my morning cup has moved my bowels. Have you just recently begun to eat more fiber? That can cause some slowness in the bowels but your body will adjust if you're also taking in adequate water. How many grams of fiber do you eat per day? It's under your nutrition menu. You should get anywhere from 25-38g of fiber (low end for women, higher for men). I average in the 25g area and haven't had any troubles recently. I definitely used to have problems when I had less fiber.
  • mis1022
    mis1022 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    High fiber things like fiber now bars and fiber one cereal do not work for me. I have to eat an apple every day and when I need extra relief I have raisins or dried apricots. Those two work every time for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    High fiber grains plug me up. Fruits and vegetables do it for me. Add a bit of magnesium in the meantime, maybe.

ETA: consider changing one of your settings to show FIBER to see what you're getting. Then ponder if it's mostly from grains (I did see some legumes), and play around with things a bit.

good luck
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    I have had bowel issues in the past....prunes. Sun sweet brand in the yellow ziploc bag. And a strong cup of coffee. Coffee actually sucks liquid from the bowels though, so drink lots of water too!
    I know it's a horrible feeling, maybe once your body gets used to the extra fiber, it will regulate. I don't know, I'm not a doctor. The above is what has helped me in the past.
    Good luck!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Try some wheat bran. I buy Bob's Red Mill and have about 5 grams every day mixed in to my oatmeal or some cottage cheese or yogurt. That's been the best thing ever for me.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i was having that problem. i discovered a serving of apple sauce every time i ate took care of it for me. prunes, too.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    How many days? By the 5th day if no bm without lax, get to a doctor.

Are the lax working? I really do not like to talk poop, but are you getting the feeling that you are emptying your bowls with the lax when you go, and do not feel like a blockage?

Do not consume any more fiber than what is in your foods. When I felt like this, I did not feel like consuming a lot of food unless it was warm soup, part of it was I was bit nauseated, the other part was I just did not want to digest more food on top of food still in there.

Do you drink coffee or hot tea. This is my morning trick and although it might not be yours, have you or can you give it a try? Preferrably a stong cup of coffee?

This is going to sound gross, but if you do not want to ingest more lax by mouth (stimulants), a saline enema like Fleet (and these work great) are really cheap and work in 10 - 15 minutes or even a Fleet Glycerin Suppository.

My biggest thing was if I could just get it to move a bit on its own it would eventually start going and it will eventually, I went 5 days or so. I do not have trouble like this any more.

Drink water or something like Pedia Lite. I cannot stress staying hydrated during this. If you are on day 1, 2, or 3 try these out. But get to the doc if cannot go naturally by the 5th day..

Goal 1 is to get it do it on its own
    Goal 2 find what may be going on in your diet that may have caused this. I am going to assume not on low carb diet, you are not taking fiber supplements,not on medications, etc..
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    15-20g Psyllium husk powder and/or Magnesium capsules work for me, make sure you drink plenty of water. If i don't go everyday I feel horrible.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Put 1 T chia seeds in your cereal. Add them to anything, actually. Good fiber there.
    Also, try some lentil dishes. And beans and chickpeas. Tons of fiber there.
    You can also take magnesium supplements and some fish oil to lube everything up.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    More jack Daniels in your diet
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »

Make sure you weigh it and log it first though.

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    The cucumber might be responsible for the gas (it has that effect on many people). You could try 500 mg of Vitamin C twice a day, plus 500 mg of magnesium at night. Don't take laxatives - they actually are counter productive in the long run.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    The cucumber might be responsible for the gas (it has that effect on many people). You could try 500 mg of Vitamin C twice a day, plus 500 mg of magnesium at night. Don't take laxatives - they actually are counter productive in the long run.

Yes, and the last thing you want is to become reliant on laxatives. They should be the last resort.

• absentmindedhousewife
    absentmindedhousewife Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Too much fiber without a lot of water and not enough fats in your diet is going to plug you up and give you gas.

You're an engine. You gotta have some oil in the pan.
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options

Make sure you weigh it and log it first though.

It's like 100 cals a shot, turns me into a werewolf
  • Christine_72
    Options

Too much of that stuff makes me vomit out both ends :confounded:

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My daily fiber total is similar to what you had yesterday. 44 is a bit over recommendations for a male. One type of fiber is soluble, one is not. Both are important, but problems can arise if a person has too much of either. I seem to have a good mix of fiber because I don't have the constipation problem. My breakfast tortilla is made with brown rice fiber and claims to have 11 mg insoluble fiber. I also have brown rice with one meal so I'm sure to be getting at least 12 mg insoluble. The fiber I get from the rest of my diet is probably soluble, but frankly it's hard for me to know for sure. With too much soluble, it collects a lot of water. With too little insoluble, pooh velocity is reduced. With too much insoluble, pooh velocity is so great that nutrient absorption is reduced.

You might try moving some of your sources of fiber from the soluble side to the insoluble side.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers are a terrible source of fiber: a whole cuke has only 2g.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    My daily fiber total is similar to what you had yesterday. 44 is a bit over recommendations for a male. One type of fiber is soluble, one is not. Both are important, but problems can arise if a person has too much of either. I seem to have a good mix of fiber because I don't have the constipation problem. My breakfast tortilla is made with brown rice fiber and claims to have 11 mg insoluble fiber. I also have brown rice with one meal so I'm sure to be getting at least 12 mg insoluble. The fiber I get from the rest of my diet is probably soluble, but frankly it's hard for me to know for sure. With too much soluble, it collects a lot of water. With too little insoluble, pooh velocity is reduced. With too much insoluble, pooh velocity is so great that nutrient absorption is reduced.

You might try moving some of your sources of fiber from the soluble side to the insoluble side.

What a very informative poop and fibre post :+1:

• Lunasash
    Lunasash Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Some things we can use in the hospital setting that work well:
    1. Warm prune juice
    2. Hot tea
    3. Colace (over the counter stool softener, not a laxative).
    4. Senna laxative is mild and can be used for longer terms.
    5. EXERCISE!