Crossfit.What do people think?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Cross fit is the zumba of the weight lifting world.
    It's useful- it's something that gets you moving. It teaches you things.

Can zumba be good? yes- is it going to a dance class? nope.

Can cross fit be good- yeppers- Is it pure weight lifting or real training?- nope.

So- just be aware- it's a thing. It's not full training- it's not power lifting- it's not straight oly lifting.

But it can be good- and it's useful and it's a good workout.

Did the crossfit box you were a member of not include teaching the lifts? Have a structured strength program? Have open gym times?
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options

its' not strange- it's about the same thing.
    That's what I'm saying though- zumba is a cardio class that includes dance- but it's not dance training.

Cross fit- it's not actual weight training- it's just a workout- with weights.

Ok, I see your comparison. Your right, it's not weight training. It's weight training, gymnastics training, metabolic conditioning, and endurance training.

Cross fit WODS aren't training programs- they are just workouts. They don't have long term goals other than "get better at doing X workout"

That's if you go to an affiliate that trains to improve a specific bench mark workout. Personally, I disagree with that programing philosophy because, as you stated, it's short sighted. The real long term goal of Crossfit is to get better at everything and well written programing achieves this.

People who do the cross fit games- they don't actually train at a box doing cross fit wods. They run oly type training programs in the off season and then ramp up the cardio and "cross fit games" appropriate work. But believe you me- they have fully fleshed out OLY lifting type training programs. They aren't just randomly running Fran as the box decides.

This is very true. The average Crossfit games athlete has a two to three a day training schedule. Athletes have been known to also do powerlifting, gymnastics, and endurance training in addition to their met con training. Long gone are the days when the average Crossfit athlete can make it to the games as an individual competitor.

And please don't take my commentary as a negative- I don't have any issue with Zumba or Crossfit. I think they are both fine and appropriate and good.

I don't take your commentary as a negative. It is an interesting point.

[/
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Cross fit is the zumba of the weight lifting world.
    It's useful- it's something that gets you moving. It teaches you things.

Can zumba be good? yes- is it going to a dance class? nope.

Can cross fit be good- yeppers- Is it pure weight lifting or real training?- nope.

So- just be aware- it's a thing. It's not full training- it's not power lifting- it's not straight oly lifting.

But it can be good- and it's useful and it's a good workout.

Lol

I don't think you've ever been to crossfit
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Not my personal cup of tea to be honest. I have some friends who have done crossfit and I can't say that they looked any different than when they weren't doing it.

I will say that they were super annoying with their Facebook posts of the workout that they did, post workout selfies and pictures of their meals. If you're going to do it just don't be like those people.

This exactly.

I deleted my Facebook about 6 months ago and I must say that it's sooooo nice not to see those Facebook posts anymore!

Anywho, I've known someone who hurt themselves badly from cross fit. But I also know those Facebook posters who love it.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Not my personal cup of tea to be honest. I have some friends who have done crossfit and I can't say that they looked any different than when they weren't doing it.

I will say that they were super annoying with their Facebook posts of the workout that they did, post workout selfies and pictures of their meals. If you're going to do it just don't be like those people.

This exactly.

I deleted my Facebook about 6 months ago and I must say that it's sooooo nice not to see those Facebook posts anymore!

Anywho, I've known someone who hurt themselves badly from cross fit. But I also know those Facebook posters who love it.

I know someone who hurt themselves badly by crossing the street without looking where they were going.

You can get hurt doing anything. Sometimes it's your own fault. Sometimes though, it's just not your day.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I swear I live in a parallel universe when it comes to the crossfit culture of the box I went to. They had solid programming, great coaches, and none of the push till you puke nonsense. I saw next to none of the negative stereotypes that are repeatedly called out. I do like crossfit, it's fun and will get you fit. I see it as a jack of all trades, master of none kind of thing, but that's ok.

I also have to very much agree with JoRocka that the games athletes train very specifically, following solid strength programs & working on thier skills. They don't just do random Wod's
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options

This exactly.

I know someone who hurt themselves badly by crossing the street without looking where they were going.

You can get hurt doing anything. Sometimes it's your own fault. Sometimes though, it's just not your day.

I have friends here on MFP who do CrossFit and friends who do not do Crossfit. Based on a quick mental count, I don't think any of my friends who do CrossFit are currently injured. However, I can count quite a few injured friends whose focus is mainly cardio (running/jogging) with some general strength training.

There are LOTS of stories out there on people who were runners all their lives, and their bodies can no longer put up with the wear and tear that running entails. The most common change I've read about is switching to triathalons to see if that reduces the wear and tear, but it does not. In the end, they find a nice home with CrossFit and their bodies recover from that "dangerous" sport :smile:
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    I enjoy crossfit as it allows me to do heavy olympic lifting in an environment that is friendly and encouraging. A lot of crossfit comes down to finding a good gym that focuses as much on form as on time. Some gyms don't put the effort in to make you efficient and proper with all your lifts and it ends up hurting you. I think it is a great mix of cardio and lifting especially with the gyms that divide class into two parts, heavy lifting or oly for the first part and then a WOD or more cardio focused second portion of the workout.

That being said, I never post about my gym times or anything on any social media and I haven't drank the paleo cool-aid. In all, crossfit is what you make of it, just make sure to learn form before going too fast or too heavy.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Nope not for me.
  • Amym26
    Amym26 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents (as I've never done cross fit, it's out of my budget). But why not try it? I think too many people forget that the most important part of fitness, is to find something you actually ENJOY. If you don't enjoy it, you will not keep it up.
  • CrossfitOCRunner
    CrossfitOCRunner Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love crossfit and I am in the best shape of my life because of it. I am also healthier than I ever have been, as it has cured my back issues and other issues/imbalances. It's not for everyone, but at a good box its definitely worth a try. its tough because every box isn't the same and every coach isn't always good. But its a wonderful form of exercise with a good balance of strength and stamina. As an endurance athlete, I do crossfit endurance to be able to lift heavy and run long. let me know how it goes!
  • Obeg
    Obeg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    CrossFit is the toughest thing I have ever tried to do. (Much tougher for training for 2 marathons that I have run). As I sit here - I can still feel my shoulders and quads are sore from Monday and Tuesday. I took off yesterday and my 44yr old body is telling me I should take off today. I think I will just go lift and hit the sauna, hot tub, and pool instead and repair for the partner WOD on Saturday. It is very tough and it changes every day so your body has a hard time adjusting. That is what is awesome and hard about it. If you are slow to recover or not 23 and gifted, it will be even tougher for you. But is very rewarding.

The moral of my rambling - I think the above is why some hate it. It's too hard. It's too different. It "looks funny". It makes your hurt. --- Conversely I think that is why many love it. It's hard. It's different. You do new, funny things everyday. It makes you hurt. And those rewards and sense of accomplishments are what keeps you coming back as well and expressing your accomplishments that you worked so hard for and are so proud of to who you think are your friends on Facebook,

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Amym26 wrote: »
    Just my two cents (as I've never done cross fit, it's out of my budget). But why not try it? I think too many people forget that the most important part of fitness, is to find something you actually ENJOY. If you don't enjoy it, you will not keep it up.

Biggest deterrent to me is the cost. I won't say not ever, but man, it's expensive. (To be fair, I also consider personal training very expensive.)
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Amym26 wrote: »

Biggest deterrent to me is the cost. I won't say not ever, but man, it's expensive. (To be fair, I also consider personal training very expensive.)

Same for me. I've seen deals where you can take X number of classes for $50 or something similar, but I've always held off because even if I like it, there's no way I could justify spending upwards of $150/month on a gym right now.

I fully recognize the reason behind it being so expensive, since it's basically small group training, but it just isn't in my budget at this point. Also doesn't help that there's not really a super convenient Crossfit gym near me. There's one nearby but the hours don't work for me, and the ones with hours that are better are too far to drive. :(
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Neither love nor hate it. It's another way of training that fits for some and not for others. I like kickboxing and jiu jitsu for conditioning, better than CF, but for many that would be boring or not "hard" enough.
    So like anything else, if it's some you can stick to and enjoy, then do it. I have a friend who's slightly younger than me and is in great shape in CF and even won his class in a competition at last year's Olympia.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Obeg wrote: »
    CrossFit is the toughest thing I have ever tried to do. (Much tougher for training for 2 marathons that I have run). As I sit here - I can still feel my shoulders and quads are sore from Monday and Tuesday. I took off yesterday and my 44yr old body is telling me I should take off today. I think I will just go lift and hit the sauna, hot tub, and pool instead and repair for the partner WOD on Saturday. It is very tough and it changes every day so your body has a hard time adjusting. That is what is awesome and hard about it. If you are slow to recover or not 23 and gifted, it will be even tougher for you. But is very rewarding.

The moral of my rambling - I think the above is why some hate it. It's too hard. It's too different. It "looks funny". It makes your hurt. --- Conversely I think that is why many love it. It's hard. It's different. You do new, funny things everyday. It makes you hurt. And those rewards and sense of accomplishments are what keeps you coming back as well and expressing your accomplishments that you worked so hard for and are so proud of to who you think are your friends on Facebook,

Well said Obeg. I'm 47 and I'm in the best shape of my life. Even better I think than when I was playing sports in High School and College way back when. I truly believe CF is the fountain of youth. I know a lot of 40-50 year olds at our box feel the same way.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I did a CrossFit trial, it was the boot camp or on ramp class, plus a few classes once I passed that. It was good, I liked parts of it, wasn't a fan of parts of it. That said, my trainer got certified as a CrossFit instructor after I had been working with him for a few years, he now owns a CrossFit gym and he includes some CrossFit type training in my workouts and I love that. I have also been to his classes and enjoy them. The cost is probably the biggest draw back fro me. I like to be able to do other workouts and at the prices, I feel like I would have to stick with just CrossFit. From what I hear, I would follow the advice of others and make sure you find a good box that has good trainers that watch your form and care more about form than speed.
  • SamAdamsLoL
    SamAdamsLoL Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel like CrossFit is a thing that people either do it and Love It, Do It and hate the Environment/Pace and don't go back or Judge it from afar.

Personally I do it (and LOVE IT). I use this website to Track Macros and Cals for CrossFit since I'm too scrawny and need to bulk up.

Started CrossFit went from 6'0" 186 to 149 in 1 Year [which is fine] but, I sacrificed Muscle for Gymnastic-type Fitness. Now I'm about 157 concentrating on Olympic Lifts more than body weight movements (still go to all Classes at CF just also go to Strength/Oly on Monday Nights).

Cf is a great for overall fitness. Just make sure when you shop a Box, look for quality of Coaching over EVERYTHING ELSE. Even if the place is a dump; take some Emergen-C if the Coaching staff is stellar.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Traditional lifters primarily don't like crossfit because it won't get you bigger or stronger (compared to other forms of training).
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Traditional lifters primarily don't like crossfit because it won't get you bigger or stronger (compared to other forms of training).

I'm no gung-ho supporter of crossfit and certainly don't think it's the best form of training for everyone or suited for all goals but I find these comments that it's not "real training" or you cant get stronger compared to other forms of training pretty amusing. Even before I started training for competitive crossfit (which someone has already stated is more pure strength and endurance training than "Wods") I went from a 135#deadlift, 125# squat, 45# snatch and 75# Clean and Jerk to a 300#deadlift, 250#squat, 140# snatch and 170# Clean and jerk. If that's not getting strong ( compared to other forms of training) I really don't know what is. The point about not getting bigger did run true in my circumstance, I got smaller and shredded instead of maintaining high body-fat.