Advice needed

Options
I've put on about 20 pounds since the beginning of the year and I started lifting in February. I'm currently 5'4 112 pounds. I've gained a decent amount of muscle in my arms and legs, but now I'm starting to get love handles and that awful lower belly fat. I don't want to lose the weight I've worked so hard for. Is there anything else I can do to get a flat stomach?

Replies

• princessterrie16
    princessterrie16 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just try crunches and other workouts that focus solely on your abs while continuing your normal routine that you did to gain the weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just try crunches and other workouts that focus solely on your abs while continuing your normal routine that you did to gain the weight.

That isn't how it works and doing crunches only makes her have a strong stomach.

OP, you have two options.. first, do a cut with a small deficit (10% less than TDEE) and continue to progressively lift. Once you reach a flat stomach, you can do another bulk to add more mass or not bulk and be happy with your new, lower weight.

Or you can try a recomp. Eat around maintenance, continue to lift heavy and hope for some offsetting fat loss with muscle gains. This can be painfully slow, but some like it more and can cope with the time.
  • tautclothing
    tautclothing Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Princess - he's right, working the abs don't remove fat from there.

If you're finding you're getting fat depositing on your tummy and wasit it's more than likely your diet that needs looking at, but without knowing what you're eating it's hard to give further advice :)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Princess - he's right, working the abs don't remove fat from there.

If you're finding you're getting fat depositing on your tummy and wasit it's more than likely your diet that needs looking at, but without knowing what you're eating it's hard to give further advice :)

The types of food the OP is eating has not impact on fat deposits either. Genetics determines where the fat deposits are... body composition (particularly body fat %) will determine the rest.
  • tautclothing
    tautclothing Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Genetics determine where the fat is stored, but what you are eating has a 100% impact on if it is deposited there or not.
    Everything revolves around your diet - that's the basics.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Genetics determine where the fat is stored, but what you are eating has a 100% impact on if it is deposited there or not.
    Everything revolves around your diet - that's the basics.

I would say, how much food you are eating will have the impact, not necessarily the specific types of foods..

We might be saying the same thing but in a different manor.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    You are both saying different things, but they are complimentary statements. Let me organize it. Genetics determines where the fat will be stored in your body. Your diet determines how much fat your body creates. As a general rule of thumb, genetics excluded, if you are trying to LOSE fat, your diet will need to have a balance that promotes that sort of loss. For example, if you are meet your daily caloric goal, but say your protein is super super low, and your diet mainly consists of carbs and fat, that means not only is your body processing the fat it NEEDS, but it's also processing the extra fat, and since your body has a limit to how many carbs it needs, the excess carbs get converted into fat as well, so it's a double whammy. You might still lose weight or maintain your weight, but your body fat % will get worse. Hope this all makes sense.

In summary, it's not always just enough to meet your caloric goal if you are shooting for certain physical appearance goals...you will also have to pay attention to what you eat that makes up that caloric goal.
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Crunches won't get rid of love handles.

Op, start with lowering your cals, start with a deficit of 100-200 and work from there.
    You're getting fatter cause you're eating at a surplus right now.

Since you're lifting as well, keep the protein high and see what works for you in terms of carbs and fats.

Weigh yourself AND measure your different body parts every week.
    Based on the numbers you're getting, tweak and adjust your macros and calories.

• hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

That isn't how it works and doing crunches only makes her have a strong stomach.

OP, you have two options.. first, do a cut with a small deficit (10% less than TDEE) and continue to progressively lift. Once you reach a flat stomach, you can do another bulk to add more mass or not bulk and be happy with your new, lower weight.

Or you can try a recomp. Eat around maintenance, continue to lift heavy and hope for some offsetting fat loss with muscle gains. This can be painfully slow, but some like it more and can cope with the time.

Thanks. Found this super helpful.