Is this just a phase?

Options
Hey everyone! So I'm giving this fitness thing a try. I'm 24, weigh 275, and measure 5ft 10in. I prep and cook all my food. Currently eating 1900cal. Also been keeping track of my water intake. Which is 128 oz/day. I just started monday but I been having a bit of an issue. I feel good most morning but once afternoon hits I feel dizzy, hungry and have a headache. Is this normal? I used to eat like a pig. Big meal in the morning, snack midday, and a huge meal for dinner. Is my body "reacting" because I'm not giving it what its accustomed to Or am i doing something wrong?

Replies

• endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yes, it's just an initial phase. Very short for me actually.

Eat something before you get dizzy or a headache. Try hard boiled eggs, cashew, nuts. Get up, walk around. Sometimes a bit of caffeine coffee might work. Losing weight is all about cutting back in the long run (weeks, months), not suffering.
  • JButlerEagle
    JButlerEagle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My first ten days was kind of like that. My biggest trouble pre-diet was sweets. So I really think the headache part was sugar withdrawals. Eased quickly. But there isn't need to be hungry. Do find snacks that are healthy but filling. Good luck to you. Don't give up!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Consider eating around 2200 for a few weeks, then ramping down to 1900. It could be too big of a change too fast. I do agree with the poster who said to eat something before you get dizzy. It can take some trial and error to find the right eating pattern, and it can change over time too.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    gonze1019 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! So I'm giving this fitness thing a try. I'm 24, weigh 275, and measure 5ft 10in. I prep and cook all my food. Currently eating 1900cal. Also been keeping track of my water intake. Which is 128 oz/day. I just started monday but I been having a bit of an issue. I feel good most morning but once afternoon hits I feel dizzy, hungry and have a headache. Is this normal? I used to eat like a pig. Big meal in the morning, snack midday, and a huge meal for dinner. Is my body "reacting" because I'm not giving it what its accustomed to Or am i doing something wrong?

Do you have any medical isdues, such as diabetes?

I have never experienced what you describe, but I imagine it could be from too many changes too fast. If you can't resolve it with smaller more frequent meals, I suggest a doctors visit.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    My first ten days was kind of like that. My biggest trouble pre-diet was sweets. So I really think the headache part was sugar withdrawals. Eased quickly. But there isn't need to be hungry. Do find snacks that are healthy but filling. Good luck to you. Don't give up!

At first I had sugar cravings and carb withdrawal symptoms also. Once thase played out it was nice to be free of the sugar cravings. I agree that the first week or so were the most difficult, but it got easier. (I realize that not everyone has this.)

I had a dull headache the first week from dropping coffee and iced tea consumption down quite a bit also. I ended up having to add back unsweetened ice tea and to drink more water every day to compensate for the drop of fluid from fruit juices beverages I previously had.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Is your "1900" calories an accurate 1900 calories? Are you using a food scale?

While many people (who do not use a food scale and therefore make guesses) underestimate their calorie intake, there are some people who overestimate their intake and end up struggling on "1900" calories which is more like 1300.

If you are getting an accurate calorie amount via a food scale, the next thing is to look at is any foods you have cut back/cut out of your diet - you could be having "withdrawal" symptoms. After that, it's time to see the Doctor.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What are you eating in the morning? Is it carb heavy?
  • gonze1019
    gonze1019 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    Is your "1900" calories an accurate 1900 calories? Are you using a food scale?

While many people (who do not use a food scale and therefore make guesses) underestimate their calorie intake, there are some people who overestimate their intake and end up struggling on "1900" calories which is more like 1300.

If you are getting an accurate calorie amount via a food scale, the next thing is to look at is any foods you have cut back/cut out of your diet - you could be having "withdrawal" symptoms. After that, it's time to see the Doctor.

Yes, its a accurate count. I get the calories from packages and using the calorieking website. I measure/weigh all my food. Oils, veggies, and proteins. I weigh it all. I'm guessing it is a form a withdrawal. I had a blood test done a week before I started and the Doctor said I was in the "normal range".
  • gonze1019
    gonze1019 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What are you eating in the morning? Is it carb heavy?

For breakfast I have 1 slice of organic sprout bread. 1/2 avocado. 2 eggs scrambled in 1/2 TBS of olive oil with 1 serving of soyrizo topped with 1 oz of spinach.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If you're average-ish with your movement before you started counting and weighing food, you were eating an average of ~3150 calories per day. Now you're eating 1900. Yes, this is just a phase. I agree with the above poster that said maybe bump things up to 2200 for a while, until your body is used to the calorie intake. Then you can drop back to 1900.