Lacking Energy...Tips?

Lately, I've been incorporating more cardio into my routine (in addition to my typical lifting sessions). Necessary for summer. I'm not restricting my calories as much as before, minimal fat gain, moderate muscle gain (probably just finally getting the muscles to "pop" due to the additional cardio - losing excess fat layer that was covering them), so I'm satisfied with the results I'm seeing. However, I've been lacking energy more and more each day. I do drink coffee, sometimes, and like Monster Zero (although I hate drinking it because of all the bad stuff they add to it), but I'm wondering if anyone has any additional tips for increasing energy? Vitamins, supplements, etc.?

My day usually consists of a 1-1/2 hour work out (30-minutes or so of cardio + an hour of lifting and stretching...I take my time between sets, not a consistent lift), 8-hour work day and 3-hour commute, plus I am the "woman" of the house so I make dinner, do the errands, etc. and don't usually get to bed until 11PM or so (wake up at 5 or 6AM). So I'm running on fumes by the end of the week and really don't have the money for espresso every day haha!

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    How are your macros?

I can see you're a very busy woman so it would be normal to feel fatigue at times. Maybe you need to take a rest day? Perhaps there's no need for you to do extra cardio etc.

Prolonged fatigue will lead to burn out and also leave you vulnerable to getting viruses easily.

Look after yourself ok!
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    I think ginseng is supposed to help. Half the energy drinks out there have some in it
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    So you're getting 4-5 hours sleep?

Seems like your body's telling you to rest.

No supplement or diet can make up for lack of rest.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    It sounds like a lack of sleep and too much training load, but that's just a guess. How intense is the cardio, how often, do you have recovery days, etc?
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    How are your macros?

I can see you're a very busy woman so it would be normal to feel fatigue at times. Maybe you need to take a rest day? Perhaps there's no need for you to do extra cardio etc.

Prolonged fatigue will lead to burn out and also leave you vulnerable to getting viruses easily.

Look after yourself ok!

I typically meet my macros every day. Protein is usually around 130 grams, same with carbs, and sugar is around or below 40 grams (although not a medical necessity, it does help decrease the effects of Lupus). I take one rest day per week, sometimes two if I feel I really need it, but that's what my body has been used to throughout my entire training period (8-months) so it's funky that it's now throwing me off. Hmm.

I definitely don't want to get a sneaky virus or become burnt out!
  • peaceout_aly
    AmyG1982 wrote: »
    I think ginseng is supposed to help. Half the energy drinks out there have some in it

GINSENG! Great call!!!
  • peaceout_aly

I should have noted that even prior to working out (I've been on this routine for 8-months) I was always known for being sleepy, however I can't wake up later (damn adult life! Alarm clock has me trained to be up way too early...I wake up before it most days) or get to bed earlier (I'm a busy bee, I always find something to do before bed that distracts myself...cleaning, cooking, prepping for the following day, etc.) Maybe I need to focus on napping. Definitely need some rest.
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member

I should have noted that even prior to working out (I've been on this routine for 8-months) I was always known for being sleepy, however I can't wake up later (damn adult life! Alarm clock has me trained to be up way too early...I wake up before it most days) or get to bed earlier (I'm a busy bee, I always find something to do before bed that distracts myself...cleaning, cooking, prepping for the following day, etc.) Maybe I need to focus on napping. Definitely need some rest.

I don't get enough time to sleep at night properly.
    I keep myself sane by taking naps whenever I can.
    Even if it's a 20min window, I'll take it.

Sometimes these half hour naps get me more energised than my entire nights sleep put together.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    B vitamins help my energy levels a lot too. I find it easier to get through the work days now that I take one first thing every morning.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Could be iron deficiency, could be lack of sleep or overworking. You're training ridiculous which is fine, but you need to give your body time to heal
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    It really sounds like you juat need a good rest and perhaps some power napping would revive you. Our bodies soon let us know when they need rest.

If it persists it would be a good idea to go to the doc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Low iron? Not enough rest? Too low of carbs? Those are usually the possible issues.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Kms9947
    Kms9947 Posts: 4 Member
    I was having that problem too. Doctor told me to start taking a good multi vitamin like centrum, a super b complex with at least 100mg of Thiamin and calcium and a d3 vitamin. Also to drink a propel water after working out because there is no dyes in it and there are electrolytes that your body needs to recover from working out. Also to get at least 8hours of sleep if at all possible your body needs rest and time to revamp for tge next day. Good luck :-)
  • Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Alkaline water.
  • peaceout_aly
    Ant488 wrote: »
    Alkaline water.

looking into this!
  • peaceout_aly
    OP, is this like humble bragging?

??? take it how you want, i suppose. didn't realize that asking for tips regarding lack of energy was considered bragging.
  • peaceout_aly
    Kms9947 wrote: »
    I was having that problem too. Doctor told me to start taking a good multi vitamin like centrum, a super b complex with at least 100mg of Thiamin and calcium and a d3 vitamin. Also to drink a propel water after working out because there is no dyes in it and there are electrolytes that your body needs to recover from working out. Also to get at least 8hours of sleep if at all possible your body needs rest and time to revamp for tge next day. Good luck :-)

getting 8-hours of sleep is the struggle! thank you for all of your tips! GNC here I come!
  • Fluffy2Fit2Shredded
    Fluffy2Fit2Shredded Posts: 40 Member
    I drink tons of water, found myself weaning off and eventually stopped drinking coffee altogether! And having more energy from not being dehydrated, look up how much water helps! Eat carbs 4-5hrs before workout (night before if workout early AM or during lunch if workout after work etc) for energy you'll need for your workouts, and look into foods with natural energy boosting properties like bananas, etc. that are either quick release or good an hour before, without taking in high sugar foods. YouTube it! Good luck!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    A 3 hour commute is killer. My suggestion: delegate. If you do all the cooking and errands and what not, start splitting up those chores. You really need time to wind down a bit in the evenings and try to get to bed earlier.

Or, naps help but it doesn't sound like you have time during your days for that.