breakfast that keeps you full longer

Options
my easy go to breakfast is usually a breakfast sandwich. english muffin with a fried egg and turkey ham. it keeps me full for maybe a hour. sometimes i still feel hungry after eating it! what are some breakfast ideas that will keep be full until lunch?

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I scramble 2 eggs with salt, pepper, about 10-15g of shredded chicken on a tortilla wrap. Don't usually have problems with hunger til just about lunch time.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, oatmeal, leftover chicken, eggs with avocado. Think protein!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of soy milk for breakfast, then I'll have a good-sized snack mid morning: some cheese, high-fiber crackers, a piece of fruit, sometimes an ounce of almonds. The soy milk tides me over until I have my snack, and then I'll also have a mid afternoon snack so as a result I'm seldom hungry.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Breakfast for all 7 days of the week is a big high-fiber tortilla wrapped around chopped and sauteed celery, onion, mushroom, meat, egg, fat, and salsa. On work days I add a protein shake to the meal. It's usually about 500 calories. I have no trouble waiting for lunch.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Orgain protein shakes for breakfast. Plant-based and organic none of the harmful additives or chemicals that can harm our bodies. I add a quarter of an avocado or a tablespoon of olive oil or tablespoon of peanut butter and I'm full until lunch. Plus a whooping 24 g of protein to start my day and very easy just throw it in the blender with almond milk and I'm done.
  • mirrors2001au
    mirrors2001au Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just started changing up my breakfast routine, previously would have some oats and some type of eggs, recently some avocado / thin slice salmon / eggs on slice of toast, really noticed difference in getting through to lunch without hungry at all
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    200g egg white omelette with spinach, mushrooms, onions, topped with 60g avocado and 100~ cals of an interchangeable carb source, usually fruit, but sometimes potato or squash
  • mccokat
    mccokat Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal. If you make it the night ahead, you only have to hear it up in the morning, and I find it super filling. You can make it however you want too, with protein powder or matcha or banana (my fav) to spice it up.
    It's not super protein filled necessarily, and I find it works better in cooler weather.
  • GolfingDad5
    GolfingDad5 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    2 eggs and a Greek yogart.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with egg whites mixed in is one of the few things I've found that will keep me full all morning. My usual recipe is: 33g oats, 10g bran, 10g cocoa powder, cinnamon, 12g PB2, 70g egg whites, and then 1.5 tablespoons low sugar jam and 12g peanut butter mixed in when it's cooked. Sometimes I'll also add things like chia seeds, flax seed, banana, frozen raspberries, maple syrup, coconut, etc.

Leftovers are good too.
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I usually have a banana, Greek yoghurt and granola. If I'm extra hungry I have extra fruit, but it's not usually needed.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    7 tablespoons of egg whites (fried, omelette, or scrambled), 3 pieces of Canadian bacon, cheese toast, and for a carb addition I will do a small amount of hash-browns (a frozen choice from my local grocer)
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I rotate among 4 breakfasts

a protein smoothie made w/ 1-2 scoops of protein powder and frozen blueberries. Doesn't keep my full till lunch so not really what you're looking for but it does travel well

scrambled eggs made w/ any veggies or leftovers I can find in the fridge. At the very least it is handfuls of sauted spinach, onion, green pepper & eggs. Corn, squash or potato is good. Just about any kind of leftover fish is good in there. I love this with a pack of wholly guacamole and some salsa, no cheese. this is great and pretty fast & cheap. Doesn't travel well as I like my eggs fresh. My husband and I usually enjoy this on weekends.

Oatmeal. I mix 1 c steel cut oats & 2 c water and bring to boil the night before. Turn off heat and let sit over night. In the morning, stir in a c of either greek yogurt or milk and heat it up. eat w/ walnuts, fruit, etc. portable, easy, cheap.

Greek yogurt and fruit. I use plain yogurt. Maybe add a T of maple syrup or my homemade jam if I'm craving sweet. sometimes I stir in some cereal or raw oats or chia. this keeps me fuller than oatmeal, its cheap and portable.

• Can_Do_Gal
    Can_Do_Gal Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Large amounts of red bell peppers, mushrooms & spinach (I get frozen chopped spinach) sautéed in olive oil. Add eggs & scramble them in. If I want to spend the calories, I add Kashi brand frozen waffles, sometimes with some (real) maple syrup. I like big breakfasts & eat a much smaller lunch.

Basically, add some veggies & possibly another source of fiber. FWIW, I don't bother with bread products that aren't high fiber. They just don't seem like a good calorie to satiation payoff me. I haven't found an english muffin that works for me, but Kashi products & Joseph's tortillas do.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    250(ish)g cottage cheese/greek yogurt mixed with 17g crunchy peanut butter, 6g PB2, 10g chia seeds, and sometimes 40g sugar free jelly. I combine it with an apple (100-200g) and 3-6 cups of black coffee for a total of about 410-480 calories. It has 35-40g of protein, helps me meet my fat goals (I'm always struggling to hit it -I'm a volume eater), and I'm getting some slower-acting carbs that won't send me into the 300s thanks to the fat within the meal.
  • jmac4263
    jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Protein shake, eggs, ham, yogurt and granola.... Any of those normally keep me fine until my next snack 3 ish hours later
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Fruit with nut butter, Greek yogurt with high-protein granola, scrambled tofu with veggies and black beans, or a protein shake. I eat a banana on most mornings, either with peanut butter or in a protein shake. If I get enough protein for breakfast, I'm good until lunch.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    mccraee wrote: »

Oatmeal. I mix 1 c steel cut oats & 2 c water and bring to boil the night before. Turn off heat and let sit over night. In the morning, stir in a c of either greek yogurt or milk and heat it up. eat w/ walnuts, fruit, etc. portable, easy, cheap.

Do you let it sit on the stove overnight?
  • ryaneli1209
    ryaneli1209 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Here's what I eat.

2 eggs
    1/2c black beans
    1/2 can chicken or tuna
    1-2 wedges laughing cow cheese
    Hot sauce or salsa

Mix them together but in a pan - it takes 2 minutes.

It keeps me very full for 3+ hours and is delicious and high protein.

If I'm truly still hungry (very rare), I'll have fruit.
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    An appropriate answer to OP's question depends on individual daily calorie target and macro nutrient goals. At 2200 calories per day and targets of 55% fat, 25% protein and 20% carbohydrate (this is a blood sugar control diet for my diabetes, as well as weight loss), my typical breakfast is 4 eggs-broken yoke and fried with cooking spray, 3 links of brown and serve type sausage, and a banana. This generally keeps me satisfied from 9:30am to 4:00pm.
    The negative is that the carbs from the banana pushes the meal over target, as does the fat in the sausage to a lesser degree, so later in the day I have to make sure to have a couple servings of really lean meat to get my day fully back in ratio.