Crossfit.What do people think?

Options

Replies

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Traditional lifters primarily don't like crossfit because it won't get you bigger or stronger (compared to other forms of training).

I'm no gung-ho supporter of crossfit and certainly don't think it's the best form of training for everyone or suited for all goals but I find these comments that it's not "real training" or you cant get stronger compared to other forms of training pretty amusing. Even before I started training for competitive crossfit (which someone has already stated is more pure strength and endurance training than "Wods") I went from a 135#deadlift, 125# squat, 45# snatch and 75# Clean and Jerk to a 300#deadlift, 250#squat, 140# snatch and 170# Clean and jerk. If that's not getting strong ( compared to other forms of training) I really don't know what is. The point about not getting bigger did run true in my circumstance, I got smaller and shredded instead of maintaining high body-fat.

That's awesome. I never said you couldn't get stronger by doing Crossfit.

Here's my point: If you were to go to a personal trainer with a goal of getting stronger, how many would prescribe a Crossfit training protocol vs. a more traditional powerlifting protocol?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I neither love or hate crossfit but it really bothers me when people who do it automatically assume that they are way more fit/ better than those who don't do it (I have seen it in this thread). I train hard and am very fit and I don't do crossfit. I don't seem to see people who do other forms of training going around saying how much harder and more fit they are.
  • Gemmi73
    Gemmi73 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was a CF owner for 4 yrs and currently train in a CF gym (as well as at home). I would say try it. It's motivating to be able to do various (weightlifting, Olympic lifting, etc) training in a group setting. However, all CF gyms aren't created equal. Like others have said, make sure you get exercise form down before you start going all out in metcons and such.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    56jsmmsplgwn.gif

Those are not real pull-ups no matter what anyone says. :)
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    56jsmmsplgwn.gif

Yep. Dead hang for life.
  • Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I neither love or hate crossfit but it really bothers me when people who do it automatically assume that they are way more fit/ better than those who don't do it (I have seen it in this thread). I train hard and am very fit and I don't do crossfit. I don't seem to see people who do other forms of training going around saying how much harder and more fit they are.

We must be reading a different thread - not seeing this.

Me too, I have read everything in this thread and do not see anyone stating any of this.....?

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    56jsmmsplgwn.gif

This is the picture I get when I think cross fit. Poor form, poor technique, an injury waiting to happen. Same sense I got when I saw a Cross Fit competition on TV. Maybe Cross Fit is a good exercise program, just in some practice... not so much.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Traditional lifters primarily don't like crossfit because it won't get you bigger or stronger (compared to other forms of training).

I'm no gung-ho supporter of crossfit and certainly don't think it's the best form of training for everyone or suited for all goals but I find these comments that it's not "real training" or you cant get stronger compared to other forms of training pretty amusing. Even before I started training for competitive crossfit (which someone has already stated is more pure strength and endurance training than "Wods") I went from a 135#deadlift, 125# squat, 45# snatch and 75# Clean and Jerk to a 300#deadlift, 250#squat, 140# snatch and 170# Clean and jerk. If that's not getting strong ( compared to other forms of training) I really don't know what is. The point about not getting bigger did run true in my circumstance, I got smaller and shredded instead of maintaining high body-fat.

That's awesome. I never said you couldn't get stronger by doing Crossfit.

Here's my point: If you were to go to a personal trainer with a goal of getting stronger, how many would prescribe a Crossfit training protocol vs. a more traditional powerlifting protocol?

With the goal of getting stronger at what? Pull-ups? Power lifting? Olympic lifting? Taking out the trash?

Here's my point: if you were to go to a personal trainer with the goal of getting stronger at the power lifts you would train power lifting specifically and of course you would get stronger at dead lifting/squatting/bench pressing than you would with crossfit because that's what you're training specifically. If you were to go to an Olympic coach with the goal of getting stronger at the clean and jerk/snatch then of course you would get stronger at the clean and jerk and snatch than you would with crossfit because that's what you're training specifically. Crossfit is a general preparedness program designed to make you stronger in many different areas not to make you the strongest powerlifter or the strongest olympic lifter or the guy who can curl the most. I'm certainly not disagreeing with you that specific strength goals are best achieved through specific types of training, a good personal trainer would develop a program that supports an individuals specific goals. This is why I personally don't train traditional crossfit programming anymore, because my goal is not to get stronger in many different areas but a few very specific areas.

You said "it won't get you bigger or stronger (compared to other forms of training)" which I think is deceptive to someone who isn't really familiar with crossfit programming. This is why I pointed out that you can indeed get get stronger (compared to other forms of training).
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    56jsmmsplgwn.gif

Yep. Dead hang for life.

This is where people need to realize they are 2 distinct and separate movements. Well 3 if you count butterfly pull ups. Its not about which is a "real" pull up. Its about using the appropriate movement for the task at hand.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Crossfit. Safer than say, climbing Mt. Everest, but probably costs you a bit more however.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I love it but the expense is really adding up. I may quit after this month even though I enjoy it. It's a great interval/strength workout that I can't replicate on my own. It's hard to do anything like it at a normal gym because etiquette requires you not take up half the equipment to set up a circuit. It also gets you to do workouts that are much harder than MOST people would do on their own with more variety than most would do. Plus, sometimes I just don't want to do it but as with any class environment, quitting is much harder than when solo. There's risk of injury but if you find a good gym and listen to your body and modify accordingly, you'll reduce the risk.

Crossfit is just one class-based HIIT workout that emphasizes strength. There are plenty of options out there.

I'd say it's a great workout with reasonably high but manageable risk of injury and high cost.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    56jsmmsplgwn.gif

Yep. Dead hang for life.

This is where people need to realize they are 2 distinct and separate movements. Well 3 if you count butterfly pull ups. Its not about which is a "real" pull up. Its about using the appropriate movement for the task at hand.

Next you're going to tell me push presses and military presses are different and one of those isn't wrong and/or cheating...
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love it and I'm the strongest I've ever been in my life (at 43) - and getting stronger and more fit every day.

For some reason the term CrossFit brings out a multitude of haters, but I would say give it a try and judge for yourself.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I know several people who love it. I saw one girl with bandages on her hands - I asked her what happened. She said she ripped off all the callouses and skin from her palms doing 100 pull ups.... Okay. Why? What's the point?

My husband works with several guys who do it and overuse injury seems prevalent.

I understand it can be a fun, hard workout. I just don't understand the intense high reps of exercises when performed with poor form cause injury.

Of course, the same is said about running. I guess I just have never met runners as intense about running as crossfitters are about cross fit.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I know several people who love it. I saw one girl with bandages on her hands - I asked her what happened. She said she ripped off all the callouses and skin from her palms doing 100 pull ups.... Okay. Why? What's the point?

My husband works with several guys who do it and overuse injury seems prevalent.

I understand it can be a fun, hard workout. I just don't understand the intense high reps of exercises when performed with poor form cause injury.

Of course, the same is said about running. I guess I just have never met runners as intense about running as crossfitters are about cross fit.

http://www.endurancesociety.org/infinitus.html
  • Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    A bit too expensive from me and I have a hectic schedule that would make it difficult to make classes, but people seem to like it. I stick to DVD programs, my indoor soccer, and traditional lifting
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    One of the best parts of crossfit for me (or at least the gym I was at) is the focus on mobility and recovery. I feel like all of my olympic lifts became a ton better by really focusing on mobilizing the hips, ankles, and shoulders on a daily basis. I really was never able to squat correctly before learning and working on the techniques to open up the areas needed for those lifts. Of course you don't have to do crossfit to learn those but for me it was a huge benefit instead of just going to the gym and jumping into lifting heavy right away
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    What do I think about CrossFit?

I know they call their gyms "boxes" and I think that is pretty lame.