On days you just can't...

Options
What do you do to motivate yourself on days when you literally just can't? Monday was cardio, Tuesday was Barre Legs and yesterday was supposed to be the 21 Day Fix Abs. It was a rough day at work and 10 mins in the video I just couldn't do it. My head wasn't in it. So I went for a 45 minute walk.

I'd like that to not be a habit what do you do to motivate yourself?

Replies

• aliciapastorlecha
    aliciapastorlecha Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have to say, you went for a walk, so this is good, you just could have chosen to sit on the couch, but you decided to move.
    I am part of an online fitness support group that is quite awesome, so if there is a day I lack motivation, I post it on their wall (it is on facebook) and then I get a lot of members telling me to post a picture after my workout is done. I have found that being part of a fitness support group really has helped me to stay motivated and not missing any workout.
    Are you doing the 21 day fix?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    I just do it. Like work or anything else that adults have to do.

so much this.

I am one of those people that once I set a goal that's it.

• Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I have my main workout. That is lifting 3 days per week and yoga once a week. I consider that the same as my job. I only miss if I'm really sick. No excuses, ever. I do not make plans during those hours, if something comes up I tell them I can't make it until x time. If I don't feel like doing it, tough stuff, I have to. It's my "job". That being said...I have only programmed 4 workouts a week in, so I can still find time to have a life and get the things done that I need to do. When I'm not doing my regular workouts I usually still do things like hike, run, bike, etc. Those are just do as I can type of workouts. Though, you did say you tried to do a workout and ended up going for a 45 minute walk instead. I would call that a win...as long as you also adjusted your eating for the fact that you burned less calories in your workout.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    You know what.... I might not. And I'm quite the adult. Sometimes you have to listen to your body. Doesn't sound like you're slacking off for the 5th consecutive day or anything

This. There are those days. And rest days are important. I just don't let it happen two days in a row because that's when bad trends start (unless I am sick or injured). That said, sometimes when I feel like skipping it, I do use the "Just Do It" mantra, because I always know that once I get started, I will immediately feel better.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I find that once I start a workout, I can usually make myself get through it. But, I also don't stick 100% to a workout schedule. So, if I am doing P90X (as an example), I don't necessarily follow the calendar exactly. If it is plyometrics day and I am not feeling it, maybe I do chest and back instead, assuming that workout is scheduled for the same week (just being careful not to work the same muscle group two days in a row). Or if I am sore from an upper body workout, maybe I work my legs the next day instead of using a kettlebell.

It works for me to have a little flexibility in my schedule (lately because I seem to have strained a pectoral muscle so I am giving the upper body strength training a rest until I feel better). It took me a long time to get to this point -- I used to think everything was ruined and I would go on an eating binge if I messed up with one workout, but I've been able to get myself out of that mindset and I am much better off as a result. If walking 45 minutes is a release for you, log it as exercise and move on.
  • Gemmi73
    Gemmi73 Posts: 23 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If I have started my workout, I'll bring down the intensity and simply finish. If I'm feeling de-motivated before the workout, I'll pull up some motivational videos on Youtube.
  • neela1880
    neela1880 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do indoor walking workout or something low impact like a dance when I don't feel like workout
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't typically take rest days so if my body just can't, I just take one instead.
  • JessicaThompson12
    JessicaThompson12 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    What do you do to motivate yourself on days when you literally just can't? Monday was cardio, Tuesday was Barre Legs and yesterday was supposed to be the 21 Day Fix Abs. It was a rough day at work and 10 mins in the video I just couldn't do it. My head wasn't in it. So I went for a 45 minute walk.

I'd like that to not be a habit what do you do to motivate yourself?

I think you did the right thing. That's the general suggestion: if you don't feel like working out, give it 10 mins. Most of the time you'll keep going. This time you chose not to and did something else instead. I don't consider this a "just can't" day at ALL. You tried, made a decision, and then found an alternative. Win!

Usually lazy days I can get through. It might not be the best workout but I've done it. But yesterday was different. I was mentally tired. Thank you for making me feel better! I'm taking a day off work tomorrow to get my life together to avoid being so rundown lately.
  • JessicaThompson12
    Options
    Gemmi73 wrote: »
    If I have started my workout, I'll bring down the intensity and simply finish. If I'm feeling de-motivated before the workout, I'll pull up some motivational videos on Youtube.
    I'll have to check these out. Motivation from Pinterest usually works for me too.
  • JessicaThompson12
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    You know what.... I might not. And I'm quite the adult. Sometimes you have to listen to your body. Doesn't sound like you're slacking off for the 5th consecutive day or anything

This. There are those days. And rest days are important. I just don't let it happen two days in a row because that's when bad trends start (unless I am sick or injured). That said, sometimes when I feel like skipping it, I do use the "Just Do It" mantra, because I always know that once I get started, I will immediately feel better.

Exactly. Tonight it's back to the abs video.
  • JessicaThompson12
    Options

Listen to your body or your brain. Thank you!
  • JessicaThompson12
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    I have my main workout. That is lifting 3 days per week and yoga once a week. I consider that the same as my job. I only miss if I'm really sick. No excuses, ever. I do not make plans during those hours, if something comes up I tell them I can't make it until x time. If I don't feel like doing it, tough stuff, I have to. It's my "job". That being said...I have only programmed 4 workouts a week in, so I can still find time to have a life and get the things done that I need to do. When I'm not doing my regular workouts I usually still do things like hike, run, bike, etc. Those are just do as I can type of workouts. Though, you did say you tried to do a workout and ended up going for a 45 minute walk instead. I would call that a win...as long as you also adjusted your eating for the fact that you burned less calories in your workout.

Yup. I don't depend on the exercise calories so anything I "earn" from them is just extra.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I'm having one of those days today. My body feels wiped out. I am taking it as a sign that my body needs to rest, so instead of a full gym session at lunch, I just went for a 30-minute walk outside. It is a nice day today so it was good for clearing out my head as well. Hopefully that's all I'll need and I'll be able to get back at it tomorrow.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I do what you did, which is at least try. Most of the time I'm glad I pushed myself and feel better afterward, but then again...I do have that occasional day where it just isn't gonna happen and I have to walk away. And that's perfectly fine. We all have our "off" days for whatever reason. I say at least give it a shot though because more times than not you'll be glad you did.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I just do my workout in the morning so I'm fresh and not tired. I'm often fatigued so it's the best way for me to make sure I get my workouts in. also I really enjoy what I do at the gym so I always look forward to doing it. it's important to make sure you're doing something that you like to do so that you won't even want to make excuses to not do it. because of these 2 factors, the only time I miss my workout is when I'm physically ill, like super ill, exhausted, no energy whatsoever.