May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Superb race report for a great experience, lenny.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    5/26 - And another! I am starting to get concerned that I will have to miss the HM I have scheduled for June 4. Anyone have advice for making sure I can do it without killing myself if I miss any more days?

@karllundy the number one thing you can do is get well. Get your sleep, take your meds if needed, and stay hydrated. Your illness is the greatest threat to your race at this point.

Beyond that, I wouldn't worry. There is very little loss of fitness for the first 10 days of no activity. Your last run was May 21st so that takes you to May 31st. After 2 weeks of no activity you'll lose just 6% of your fitness. If you can get in one or two decent runs between now and June 4th, I think you'll not see any appreciable loss of performance.

As far as your structural systems...bones & muscle...they take longer than fitness to build up in training and also take longer to degrade. No worries there.

You can read more about the this and the studies behind it here:
    https://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/losing-running-fitness/
    and here:
    https://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/how-long-does-it-take-to-lose-your-running-fitness/

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - Thanks for the info! Also, your race last night sounds fabulous! I would love to do something like that...especially on a weeknight!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    At track and field....ironically my least favorite day of the school year....probably because I can't race....lol this old short dude would whoop all the kids in the 800m...and the 6th graders are the same size as me so that's no excuse!

@skippygirlsmom you got his! You'll make your goal!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    May 1 - 17 km run.
    May 3 - Light parkour 2 km run.
    May 5 - 8 km slow & gym.
    May 6 - 7.5 km slow & yoga.
    May 7 - skipped bike ride.
    May 8 - 19.2 km mixed. 6 km hike.
    May 9 - Rest
    May 10 - 8.3 km tempo
    May 11-18 - Rest & lost runs. Zero point zero.
    May 19 - 8.1 km fast. Two PRs HR175
    May 20 - 8.3 km tempo. HR163
    May 21 - 30 km Mountain Bike. No run.
    May 22 - 12 km moderate, a little walking. HR149
    May 23 - Rest
    May 24 - 8.5 km slow HR134
    May 25 - 10.5 km HR149
    May 26 - Brick workout 21.7 km bike, ice cream, 8.1 km run.

Total 117.1 km goal 120 km.

Ice cream in between the bike and run was probably a mistake. Big mistake.

Finally got the road bike out, trying to find some trails here, the problem being that one is expected to ride the sidewalk / path when those are designated for bikes so I need to find places where paths either don't exist or they are set up wide enough for speed. Charging down a path at 30 kph is stupid if there are casual users on the paths.
    Average speed was 26 kph which was fine, given this was new areas and a lot of tentative riding.

Saw a bike accident also at an intersection and was prepared to help out but the guy was walking it off and had 3-4 people already there. When I rode back an ambulance had arrived. Stay safe people. Also saw a few rabbits, a falcon and a little dead mole. I did not throw beads or dress the roadkill.

Decided that since it was hot, why not grab an ice cream before the run and stopped at the gas station. Tasty but a terrible idea. My run was already rough coming off the bike but the ice cream made me want to quit for the first 2 km. My stomach settled and I did get the planned 8 km. It's warm and humid here (23°C / 73°F) and feels hotter but there are thunderstorms for later & Im going to German/English language thing later so no chance to run in the evening.

Today's thought: This training stuff is going to kick my butt.
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7.... good report.... I love the trailrunning/ultra community...
  • PoppetsMaster
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn... lmao @ you being old... I have a daughter older than you and gf who is younger... lol...
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @7Lenny7-That sounds like an awesome race. Congrats on the PR!

@karllundy-You will be fine! A little story to (hopefully) ease your worries. I ran the Charleston marathon in January of 2015. It was only me second full and the first that I was running solo and was hoping for a sub 4, which was a far cry from the 5 hours I did with my friend 2 whole years prior. 3 and a half weeks before the race I came down with a major illness. I was practically crippled and could not walk or even pick things up (all of this turned out to be related to the immunosuppressant that I take for a different condition, but that's another story). Anyway, I missed a whole week of running and I was completely freaked out. I was supposed to be hitting my last strong week before my taper and I couldn't even stand up. At the advice of the experienced folks on this site, I just tried to trust in my training up to that point, entered into my taper as normal after I recovered and ran my race as planned. The race went perfectly and I got a huge sub-4 PR. In retrospect, despite the toll it took on my body, I think that extra week of downtime actually gave my legs some much needed rest.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Ice cream in between the bike and run was probably a mistake. Big mistake.

Decided that since it was hot, why not grab an ice cream before the run and stopped at the gas station. Tasty but a terrible idea. My run was already rough coming off the bike but the ice cream made me want to quit for the first 2 km. My stomach settled and I did get the planned 8 km. It's warm and humid here (23°C / 73°F) and feels hotter but there are thunderstorms for later & Im going to German/English language thing later so no chance to run in the evening.

LOL Did you see my post yesterday? I ran 4 miles, ate ice cream from sonic, then biked 5. You just did it backwards :)
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @lporter299 - Wow! Thanks for the encouraging story! OK, I am feeling better about things now. But, I still want to run.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    ...chafing nipples suck....first time that's happened to me.....it's going to be a long day now.
    Someone may have mentioned this already, but check out compression shirts. I was pretty weird about them at first, I didn't want to run in anything showing off all my manly curves. But I never run in looser fitting shirts any more. The person who recommended compression shirts to me (in these threads) told me they wished someone had given him that advice at the beginning. I agree, I wish someone had told me in the beginning too.
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn My husband tried the nip guards. They are a bit expensive and do fall off. He's found round Band-Aids to work fine. But they can sweat off too. Seriously, idk why you guys would run in a shirt in the heat. Someone once suggested cheap deodorant. Good luck.
    Same happened with me. Also with medical tape, had the strips come off between miles 8-10 every time. For me compressions shirts was the only solution, and I have run fulls with no body glide, tape, anything, no issues at all.
  • PoppetsMaster
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning... compression shirts are what fixed it for me too... I always wear one for every run...
  • PoppetsMaster
    Options
    Good article from UltraRunning magazine on running in the heat...

https://www.ultrarunning.com/featured/heat-stress/
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    ...chafing nipples suck....first time that's happened to me.....it's going to be a long day now.
    Someone may have mentioned this already, but check out compression shirts. I was pretty weird about them at first, I didn't want to run in anything showing off all my manly curves. But I never run in looser fitting shirts any more. The person who recommended compression shirts to me (in these threads) told me they wished someone had given him that advice at the beginning. I agree, I wish someone had told me in the beginning too.

I wear compression half the time. They were in the wash today. Saturday for my long run I'll be wearing compression
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I use duct tape. Very cheap. I'd advise you to trim the hair in the nip area though lol.
    Will have to try out compression.
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    Great race report @7lenny7! Sounds like a good time!

@karllundy, I agree with all of the others, you should be OK as long as you rest to get over it.
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ - I saw your Strava run yesterday with the crazy climb! Your slopes far exceed mine! I had to go 12 miles along the hilliest 12 miles I have yet strung together starting from my house to get my 1400 feet yesterday. The only reason I'm giving you any elevation challenge is just because I'm a bit worried about that hilly 50k I signed up for that supposedly has almost 7000 feet of elevation gain! :scream: So I've been doing lots of hills over the last week. I could use the mountains you live by right now for sure!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Almost an hour this morning of strength training, then about noon a 3 mile run. 82 feels like 87 with 69% humidity. I decided to do 3 one mile out and backs, leaving a water bottle and my enduracool towel in my driveway. Full sun but wore a hat. First mile wasn't bad. Second decent. Third I was thinking about how stupid I was gonna look calling 911 for help. Ha. Pace per Garmin was 10:03. But per Strava with my water breaks cut out I ran 9:55/9:20/9:05. Mad at myself now. I really thought I was running slower. I just felt so hot and felt in slow motion. I guess I'm gonna have to set my watch to buzz if I'm running too fast in the heat....before I kill myself.