Opinion from all of the runners out there

Options
I recently started training for my first 5K. I am eight weeks into the C25K program and can now run over three miles. It took me this long to state it but I now consider myself a runner. If I don't get to run, I miss it. I crave it, I love it. I love how I feel after my run. I am planning to go get fitted for a good running shoe at a specialty store but wanted to ask the opinion of other runners, which running shoe brand do you prefer and why?

Replies

• elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I got fitted at a running store once and they were the worst running shoes that I ever had. I love Nike's and they have always worked well for me. I have a Nike outlet near me and I always get my shoes there. I try on pretty much every shoe there and run laps around the store in them. I've never had a problem with the shoes I have picked myself.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I really don't stick to one specific brand. I would pick the ugliest shoes if they helped me prevent injuries. LOL I think getting fitting at a running store is your best bet.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i'm right there with ya!!!. i finished c25k in April. i am currently running 5 miles a couple times a week supplemented by 2-3 mile runs during my lunch hour and strength training, i'm the same i absolutely miss it when i dont to it. Your shoe is going to depend on what kind of stride you have and what you're looking for, my first pair was new balance my sencond pair where aasics. while the aasics are better looking i still like the feel of my new balance more and my next pair will be new balance.
  • RunMickey7
    RunMickey7 Posts: 12
    Options
    I've used Asics, Saucony, and Mizuno. You need to find out if you overpronate or not--which basically means if you strike the ground with the inside of your foot. Check out your current shoes and see how they are wearing. Good shoes can help you not to get a running injury. Some shoes have balance control which help with the way your foot strikes to correct it.
    Be sure to get a bit bigger size. I have space in a 7.5 even though I wear a size 7 for street shoes. BUT I should have bought a size 8 (a whole size larger than regular shoes) to compensate for swelling. If you don't, you could suffer from some very ugly toenails and some unneccessary blisters (I'm speaking from experience). This didn't really happen to me until I ran a half marathon.

Good luck! Keep running smart!
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Hooray for running!!! I was an Asics girl for about 15 years. I loved them! But, they were shoes that fit my feet and my needs. Make sure you get shoes that fit YOU! It will make your experience so much better.

I'm now in the Vibram 5 Fingers, and it's a completely different experience. I'm really enjoying the sport again.

Keep up the good work!
  • jipper44
    jipper44 Posts: 111
    Options
    I live for asics :) Since I got fitted and started wearing them, they've never let me down. I could put on a brand new pair and go on a long run immediately, no breaking-in necessary.
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a $100 pair of Asics, but I honestly haven't noticed any difference between those and the generic ones from Target that I got for $20. (In fact, I still wear the Target ones sometimes because I kind of like them better.)

I envy that you've become somewhat "addicted" to running. I wish that would happen to me. I ran my first 1/2 marathon in May, and I've only managed to go out running twice since then, and each time I've only made it about 2 miles. I'm having a really hard time getting out there now that I don't have anything specific that I'm working toward. Even when I was training for the 1/2, I still didn't like running. I got to the point where I didn't HATE it like I used to, but I still have a really easy time talking myself out of doing it every day.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I stick with Brooks. They make an awesome shoe, and they make them in wide widths for people like me who have duck feet.
  • greatdaneaddict
    greatdaneaddict Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Love my Asics!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I am liking my current New Balance running shoes :)
  • Shua456
    Shua456 Posts: 211
    Options
    Go to a running store and have them fit you for a running shoe. Every runner is going to have different needs based on their stride, the width of their foot, the way they land, etc..... What is a great shoe for one person is going to be an awful shoe for the next person.
  • greatdaneaddict
    greatdaneaddict Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Be sure to get a bit bigger size. I have space in a 7.5 even though I wear a size 7 for street shoes. BUT I should have bought a size 8 (a whole size larger than regular shoes) to compensate for swelling. If you don't, you could suffer from some very ugly toenails and some unneccessary blisters (I'm speaking from experience). This didn't really happen to me until I ran a half marathon.

Good advice. I normally wear an 8, but I wear a 9.5 in a running shoe. And I am an overpronator also! Make sure to find that out when you get fitted.
  • MissJecka
    MissJecka Posts: 5
    Options
    Get fitted for a running shoe! Nobody here can tell you what will be best for YOU.

I made the mistake of not getting fitted for running shoes when I was ready to move from 5Ks to a 10K. After running my 10K I lost one big toenail and half of three other toenails! Why? Because I didn't have the right running shoes or the proper socks.

The most important thing to do is get assessed for what kind of shoe you need. Go to a real running store (not a Sports Authority or ****'s Sporting Goods or similar place) and have the person look at how you walk and measure you. Tell them about any aches and pains you have, any previous injuries, how often you currently run, and what your goals are.

Also, be sure to AVOID cotton socks! The runner's rule is "cotton is rotten" for a reason: cotton holds onto moisture and heat... moisture + heat + friction (from running) = blisters! The running store you go to will have these socks for sure. They will be pricey but I purchased 3 pairs over 4 months ago and haven't needed to by more yet!

Once you know what running shoe and socks work for you, you can just find them online for cheaper than your running store. For me, I spent $120 on my Brooks Ghost 3 shoes when I got fitted... since then I've gotten them on Amazon for no more than $80... but the point is that I got fitted for them and know they're the best for me.
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I've used Asics, Saucony, and Mizuno. You need to find out if you overpronate or not--which basically means if you strike the ground with the inside of your foot. Check out your current shoes and see how they are wearing. Good shoes can help you not to get a running injury. Some shoes have balance control which help with the way your foot strikes to correct it.

Good luck! Keep running smart!

Totally true! I wear Mizunos because I overpronate... and definitely get a size that gives you room in the toe! Both of my big toenails bruised and fell off after I ran my first 1/2 marathon because of the swelling. If you go to a place like Roadrunner Sports, they have a thing called the Shoe Dog where they assess the way you run to find a shoe that fits!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I wear Brooks, but that is neither here nor there. Asics, New Balance, Mizuno, Nike and lots of other companies make good shoes, they just don't happen to fit me right.

All that matters is what feels good to you.
  • jenkins1103
    jenkins1103 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The shoes that I am fitted for are the Women's Nike Vomero's...You cannot go by what brand you like or what color you like...you need to go by what the specialty store fits you with, becasue when running the shoe is what counts...Good Luck with running...
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Check out what the running stores have. I dont understand how people say that "they arent any better than $20 Target shoes" because they are usually very good quality and last their due time. Ive found Asics Gel to be good in weight, comfort, and support. But, whatever feels good for your running stride..
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have the nike free's and i loveee them. They were awesome when i was just running 3 miles and less, but they have started to lack the support i need on the 8 mile and up runs. I have in soles, but i think i need to upgrade to a little more cushioning. Honestly though, they might just be worn out. I give the Nike free's two thumbs up!
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    Love my aasics, also alternate them with Rebok ZigTech, both are great to run in.
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for a running shoe! Nobody here can tell you what will be best for YOU.

I made the mistake of not getting fitted for running shoes when I was ready to move from 5Ks to a 10K. After running my 10K I lost one big toenail and half of three other toenails! Why? Because I didn't have the right running shoes or the proper socks.

The most important thing to do is get assessed for what kind of shoe you need. Go to a real running store (not a Sports Authority or ****'s Sporting Goods or similar place) and have the person look at how you walk and measure you. Tell them about any aches and pains you have, any previous injuries, how often you currently run, and what your goals are.

Also, be sure to AVOID cotton socks! The runner's rule is "cotton is rotten" for a reason: cotton holds onto moisture and heat... moisture + heat + friction (from running) = blisters! The running store you go to will have these socks for sure. They will be pricey but I purchased 3 pairs over 4 months ago and haven't needed to by more yet!

Once you know what running shoe and socks work for you, you can just find them online for cheaper than your running store. For me, I spent $120 on my Brooks Ghost 3 shoes when I got fitted... since then I've gotten them on Amazon for no more than $80... but the point is that I got fitted for them and know they're the best for me.

I just wanted to second this as well. I think i would rather run barefoot than in ill-fitting cotton socks. Those dri-fit running socks are worth their weight in gold. GOLD.