Do protien shakes keep YOU full?

Options
2»

Replies

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I don't ever count on a protein shake for full satiety. I do find they work well for me when paired with something else. For example, this AM I had a protein shake with a scoop of powder, a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, and a handful of strawberries (plus water to add liquid). That, plus a half a sweet potato, made for a good, filling breakfast for me. But on it's own it's a snack, not a meal.
  • AgentFlex
    AgentFlex Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    No, I only use them occasionally to meet my protein goal. And it is usually dumped into a bowl of cereal, so that it becomes food.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Not much. I keep protein shakes/powder for if I am struggling to meet 1200kcals (illness, severe stress) or as a quick way to add protein to certain foods (cottage cheese/yogurt, chia seed pudding)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    heck no. I just use them before a workout to keep my sugar stable, or if I had a too-low protein day to make up for it.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Always struggling to not be starving after a shake. I use it simply to keep up the protein level in my diet which I struggle to make each day.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    More bloated than full. I prefer solid foods with protein and fats for more satiety.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    No, but that's not what protein shakes are for. I use protein drinks once or twice a week, only on the days that I won't be getting enough protein from my regular food. They aren't a replacement for a meal; they are a supplement to your regular nutrition.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I like to have one with breakfast, but not in place of breakfast. Lately I have been drinking a protein shake that is 100 calories, 2 g fat, 6 g fiber and 15 g protein mixed with 10 oz of unsweetened almond milk. It goes well with a pack of oatmeal to carry me through until lunch, but not all by itself. I also sometimes use one for a snack, but it doesn't last long.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds gross, But since i have issues getting my calories in i take alot of shakes. I have taken to no longer mixing in my blender, I leave small chunks of powder so when i drink it theres some texture to "chew" on....makes me feel like i actually ate something. Most people find that so gross haha. To each their own.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I don't use protein shakes as a meal replacement, only as a snack and to help meet my protein goals. The shakes I do are 160 calories, 30g of protein. It holds me over for 2-3 hours, maybe more. If I were to have 160 calories worth of chips, I would be hungry again in an hour, tops.
  • athinastyles
    athinastyles Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not really a shake because I mix my protein with water but because I drink it right before dinner and I always tend to eat close to nothing because of it (maybe it's just the liquid that fills me up). But by reading the other comments I guess it might be just me.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    No. I just really like to chew.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I think they're an ok snack and useful for staving off hunger but no, they don't keep me full.

Today my afternoon snack/lunch was a soy protein shake and a banana, and tea of course :)
    I had breakfast at 10:30am and only just had dinner before 7pm. I wasn't chewing the walls while dinner was cooking so yea, I suppose the protein shake and banana did their job.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    No it does not at all.

And I do not need to give up 250 calories for a protein shake. I only need 125 calories for 28 grams (my choice of powder and unsweetened cashewmilk). I get a lot of bang for the buck.

However this is a really small amount of calories but I always I do prefer to eat my calories.
  • OlyCapitalChick
    OlyCapitalChick Posts: 236 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Not what so ever. Hate the stuff. I could drink gallons of it and I would be hungry again.
    I stick with ostrim for a quick snack and quest bars (not the powder for shakes)
  • juma4474
    juma4474 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've tried many different shakes some keep my feeling full, many do not. The one I am using now keeps me full and satisfied until my next meal and it is only 160-180 calories depending upon what I mix in with it.