Lean Protein Sources

Options
kfricky
kfricky Posts: 3 Member
I recently started tracking macros (30% carbs, 35% protein and 35% fat), and I am having a real hard time meeting my protein requirements. Everything that I was eating that I *thought* counted as protein is really getting calculated as fat (some dairy, peanut butter, eggs) or carbs (beans, nuts, etc.) Other than plain chicken breast, canned tuna, and egg whites, what are some easy, portable foods to help with my protein intake? (p.s. I drink a 125 calorie protein shake immediately after strength training, 3 days a week, but only on those days).

Thanks!

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Keep checking. Somebody will post a link to a spreadsheet of every protein source known to man. I don't have it with me.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I learned to love plain greek yogurt in smoothies and 1/4c egg white/whole egg for breakfasts! (Im not a huge meat eater and I don't do shakes)
  • Enjcg5
    Options
    I also found oatmeal with 10g of protein/packet. I have it with unsweetend almond milk and it's under 300 calories.
  • Fluffy2Fit2Shredded
    Fluffy2Fit2Shredded Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just add more powder to your protein shake! Those things are usually 30g per scoop, or pick up some protein candy bars to mix it up inbetween all the other protein food sources. You can YouTube a list of foods.
  • kfricky
    kfricky Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do use plain greek yogurt as a substitute for mayo, sour cream, etc. However, when I put it in smoothies, I usually use frozen fruit which ends up in a carb explosion! :)
  • Enjcg5
    Options
    kfricky wrote: »
    I do use plain greek yogurt as a substitute for mayo, sour cream, etc. However, when I put it in smoothies, I usually use frozen fruit which ends up in a carb explosion! :)

True. I do 1c greek yogurt, 1c frozen fruit, 1T chia seeds and water. Berries aren't too bad carb wise.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Shrimp are easy to toss on a salad. Cottage cheese is another choice. Jerky is a little high in calories but its very portable. Good luck!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I often add lowfat dairy (cottage cheese or greek yogurt) to my breakfast (which is otherwise eggs and vegetables). Other good sources are most any seafood or lean meat (not just chicken -- turkey, pork tenderloin and chops, lean cuts of beef, game).
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Any type of bean is full of protein. I add them to my salads, toss into my meal mixture for dinner (in tacos, spaghetti, ect). I make a bean and tomato salsa that I like on everything! Hummus and veggies, my kids love this.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    hummus, turkey pepperettes, babybel cheeses, greek yogurt with honey... :)
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, Tofu, All pulses ( beans, chickpeas, lentils, etc)
    As mentioned by other posters yogurt, cheese, lean meats
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    A lot of lean proteins taste good cold or room temp also. Any kind of round roast, top, bottom or rump, top sirloin, sirloin tips, pork tenderloin, marinated grilled chicken breast, any low-sodium deli meats excluding things like balogna or salami etc. egg salad made with mostly whites and some yolk with light mayo, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt. Obviously the meets will give you the most protein averaging 20 to 30 g per 3 ounce cooked serving.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Keep checking. Somebody will post a link to a spreadsheet of every protein source known to man. I don't have it with me.
    This one? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also/p1
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I take a protein bar (whatever I have around), chop it into eighth of an inch size pieces and mix it in 4oz fat free plain Greek yogurt. I also struggle to get enough protein. That helps.
  • baja1984
    baja1984 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think I have something that's exactly what you're looking for. In fact I have a friend who was in your same boat who is now a fitness competitor and coach. Is Facebook or email easier to send you information and get in touch with her?
  • doddsar127
    doddsar127 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am in a wellness program at work. It is led by a nurse and a nutritionist and we meet weekly for an education session. I wear a FitBit and it is connected to MyFitnessPal (MFP). The first three weeks, I was using the default macro calculator in MFP. With about four pounds down, I recognized that I needed to change the percentages to a higher protein percent to keep feeling full and to keep my sugar levels balanced. I have been having the same difficulty you described. Everything I thought was protein is showing as fat.

Here's what I learned so far from the program... Your body can only manage 15-20 grams of protein at a time...I found a good shake (not chalky) called Premier Protein (30 grams) which comes in vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate. It head grams of protein so I drink 1/2 for a mid morning snack and the rest later... Usually for a midday snack. I have no time to make shakes... (I work in an intense environment). Besides, those I have tried all taste terrible to me (including Shakeology which I could almost tolerate but why force yourself to tolerate food? It won't last as a habit... I want to like it. Next... I break up my lunch hour into three segments of twenty minutes. The first is to eat, the second is to rest, the third is to walk... This gives my body time to start to digest my food, the walk gets my body to use it.

Other sources of protein I like are fish... Frozen Cod or Haddock in sealed individual packages defrosts in the pouch under cold water in about ten minutes. Take the fish out of the pouch once it is defrosted and soak it in a little mix of orange and lemon juice while putting a tablespoon of coconut oil (solid at room temp) into a foil lined baking pan. Put the fish in the pan, Sprinkle with old bay seasoning and bake at 350 degrees Fairenheit for six minutes on a side.. Yum. (Cleanup is easy... Throw away the foil...) lol

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    kfricky wrote: »
    I recently started tracking macros (30% carbs, 35% protein and 35% fat), and I am having a real hard time meeting my protein requirements. Everything that I was eating that I *thought* counted as protein is really getting calculated as fat (some dairy, peanut butter, eggs) or carbs (beans, nuts, etc.) Other than plain chicken breast, canned tuna, and egg whites, what are some easy, portable foods to help with my protein intake? (p.s. I drink a 125 calorie protein shake immediately after strength training, 3 days a week, but only on those days).

Thanks!
    True that protein often "travels" with fat and/or carbs. B)
    It is possible to buy "pure-ish" protein -- egg whites, shrimp, lobster. But that would be boring.
    Keep working on getting comfortable with the mix that travels with protein.
    Basically, whenever I look for a food in the grocery store or in the data base, I choose based on how much protein it has. The carbs and fats are o.k. because I can fit them it.
    I do not eat much fruit has they do not have much protein.
    I like lots of veggies and beans because by the end of the day, they do have a significant impact on the protein count.
  • lilgreenkitty
    lilgreenkitty Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    why are you limiting your carbs? You should only limit starchy and refined carbs, don't worry about your carbs from fruits and veggies. The problem with wanting to have enough protein but limiting all carbs is that you end up taking in a bunch of "lean" animal products. I suggest you should do more research on complex carbs and animal products, learn about protein from plants vs protein from animals. That being said I suggest toasted chickpeas, lentils, granola, toasted oats, nuts and seeds (a small amount of plant-based fat is good, your body does need fat to function)
  • doddsar127
    doddsar127 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Like you said. Great advice which I will follow. Thank you. :smile: