I will never understand earphones use outside

Options
Aesop101
Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
I often go for walks and hikes. I love the outdoors. When I'm out I look for critters, listen to the sounds of nature, and watch the people doing whatever they do. I also like to hear when a bike or pedestrian approach. Then of course if I cross a street I like to hear an auto approaching.

So I never understand how you can be out with those elements and choose to blind yourself to the beauty around and the hazards as well.

A year or so back there was a guy jogging on the beach with his headphones on when a ultra-light struck him and killed him. Imagine jogging on the beach with the sea gulls and the ocean and tuning them out. Then of course not hearing the ultra-light approaching.

Replies

• geckoseven
    geckoseven Posts: 32
    Options
    Music has a euphoric affect about it, it also helps drown the noise of traffic, and other distractions.
  • andyj1984
    andyj1984 Posts: 76
    Options
    When I am walking to and from work (its about 40 minutes each way) I always listen to music, but I am walking through the city centre, and frankly what I am listening to is preferable to the noise made by cars, buses, people, etc...

When I go hiking or biking I never take music with me, since the sound of nature is much better. I think it depends on where you are walking/biking/exercising.
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    if you run to music... you tend to run about 15% faster and work harder. and you can't hear yourself huffing and puffing...
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    When I'm listening to upbeat, fast music, I walk faster. Also, although my walk isn't unpleasant, it isn't as idyllic as walking on a beach, listening to waves and birds. I never have it so loud that I can't hear what's going on around me.
  • firedrgn2000
    Options
    It's not for everyone and you are entitled to your opinion. I use headphones when out walking for exercise because the music keeps me going. I keep my volume down enough so that I can hear what's going on around me. When I go for hikes in nature, I don't take music along with me, only when I'm exercising.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I have one earbud in when I am out running because I need to hear my cues, plus my playlist helps me with my run. I can still hear everything going on around me though! When I walk into town to the market, I really don't want to be listening to people arguing with each other, shouting at their kids, or just being...well, people, I suppose.....so I put both earbuds in! I don't have my music so loud that I can't hear traffic or oncoming buggies!

When I'm out for a walk, like the OP, I want to be able to experience nature at its fullest - it wouldn't occur to me to have my ears in then!
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I will always err on the side of safety. Then I like greeting people along the way. Most victims became victims because they weren't paying attention to their environment.

It's neat to hear a rustle in the leaves and see a small critter scurrying about. It's neat to hear birds and learn the songs they sing.
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    if you run to music... you tend to run about 15% faster and work harder. and you can't hear yourself huffing and puffing...

This is why I don't listen to anything while jogging....I'll over-do it without realizing it

:drinker:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I will always err on the side of safety. Then I like greeting people along the way. Most victims became victims because they weren't paying attention to their environment.

It's neat to hear a rustle in the leaves and see a small critter scurrying about. It's neat to hear birds and learn the songs they sing.

I always have my music with me when I'm out for a run...I also carry my pepper spray, lol. I won't allow myself to become a victim.

When I hike...I don't listen to music though...I do enjoy the sounds of nature.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    When I walk or run for exercise, it's usually around the city so there isn't too much to listen to besides cars. I don't have earbuds either so I can pretty much hear everything going on around me unless I blast the music. If I'm out on a leisurely walk or hiking in the woods then I don't take my music with me. To each their own. :happy:
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    If I am walking through my neighborhood, I don't use any headphones just for safety. When I walk at a jogging trial, there is a very popular one here with many joggers, then I use headphones simply because you don't have to cross streets or worry about oncoming traffic!
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    When ever I go for a ride alone I always have my I pod on otherwise I get bored and go home too early, helps me focus better, I don't really worry too much about the other things on the road as they are quite roads anyway.
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    I can't run without my headphones. If my music goes out during a run, I almost lose all motivation and its so hard to finish. As far as safety issues, I stay on the sidewalks and the jogger path. My neighborhood isn't busy during the day when I run, but I still pause when crossing the street and check for traffic. Never had an issue, even with all of the construction and building of houses going on.
  • laceylovespink
    Options
    When I run I think I sound like a hippo. In races ecspecially, I don't want to be worrying about what I sound like to everyone else...weird, I know. Recently I've been running with just one earphone in, i wish someone MADE just one earphone so the other wouldn't have to be hanging all of the time...
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    When I run I think I sound like a hippo. In races ecspecially, I don't want to be worrying about what I sound like to everyone else...weird, I know. Recently I've been running with just one earphone in, i wish someone MADE just one earphone so the other wouldn't have to be hanging all of the time...

I agree! I have to tuck my spare into my armband otherwise it tends to whip me! :laugh:
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    You must not live in or near a city because if you did you might understand. You don't hear nature in the city.

Plus if I listen to upbeat music I will go faster to keep up with the beat.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I don't listen to music when I run, because I would have an irresistible urge to start dancing, which would make me look like an bigger *kitten*.

Also, I run on a nature trail and I like to hear the sounds of nature. Plus. no killers can sneak up on me.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    I dont leave the house alone without headphones. Especially if Im going to be on public transit. I just dont like to run the risk of interacting with strangers
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I run faster with music. I have it low enough that I can hear traffic and stuff.

But what irks me about ear buds is that they make the wind noises seem louder. When it was cold out that psyched me out. It doesn't bother me now that the wind is "a cooling breeze" rather than "an arctic blast."
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    music is an inspiration to people to help them get through their workouts but you do have a good point