Defined/toned Stomachs

Options
2»

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Insanity! I had lost weight, was fit but Insanity really defined my abs better than P90X when I did it. I've maintained well after finishing the program but look forward to doing it again to get back there.
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    I'm going to disagree with the 2 kitchen people above. If you're young and working out like crazy, you can get a slightly visible six pack. Mines visible in the right light and I eat horribly. Though you should eat right. I really shouldn't be telling ya'll this.
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    good ol' cardio to burn off the fat.
    I am still working towards a more defined stomach/ab area. however, I do love using a big swiss ball and doing leg lifts with that.
    planks, side planks... be sure you engage your core in everything you do.
    hope that helps..
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    cardio to remove the fat and a variety of ab exercises for definition. I never do the same type of crunches and mix it up with planks, really really good planks.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm going to disagree with the 2 kitchen people above. If you're young and working out like crazy, you can get a slightly visible six pack. Mines visible in the right light and I eat horribly. Though you should eat right. I really shouldn't be telling ya'll this.

Lol, not helpful. And I think they meant NOT in "the right light" ;)
  • Metalhead187
    Options
    Bump!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Defined abs comes from lowered body fat. Lowered body fat comes from 90% good diet and 10% exercise, not necessarily crunches, but core work which can be done with squats, lunges, pushups, etc., etc..

This is a good website to check out about what each body fat % looks like. For women to have defined abs, they need to be lower than 18%.

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Bump
    I can feel the muscles finally when I work out but there is still alot of fat to lose there. I carry all my weight in my tummy. :grumble:
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen but Jillian Michaels 6 Week 6 Pack has also helped!
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    There's good advice already here: importance of diet (i.e. eating ideally as possible to get to lower body fat %)

Here are some more:

Posture - poor posture definitely contributes to the retention of a "pot belly" and "love handles." I've had poor posture all my life (borderline scoliosis), and despite my overall fitness and the number of crunches performed, I didn't see noticeable improvements to my mid-section until I focused on improving my posture as well (on top of proper diet).

Most-effective ab exercises:
    Researchers at the Biomechanics Lab at San Diego State University put to the test various ab exercises to determine the most effective ones, and here are their top 3:
    1. Bicycle crunches
    2. Captain's chair
    3. Exercise ball crunches
    But #3 is safer for your lower back
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/abdominalcorestrength1/a/Best_Ab_Ex.htm
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options

Quit raining on my parade. Looks are always about lighting. That's why bars are so dark. =)
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

Quit raining on my parade. Looks are always about lighting. That's why bars are so dark. =)

Yea, but the lighting in bars only matters until about beer number 5. After that... 3 Sheets to the wind boys! Bring 'er around!

And I'm not raining on your parade.... I'm pissing in your cheerios! Theres a difference!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Low body fat %
    Doesn't matter how you get there, but the only thing that's gonna show your abs is having a low body fat.
    A decent diet & hammering the weights has worked for me in the past.
    A very good diet and running a lot has been working for me now.
  • sdaltonking
    Options

Sounds like you were just blessed with good genes.
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    running and zumba has worked for me!
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Defined abs comes from lowered body fat. Lowered body fat comes from 90% good diet and 10% exercise, not necessarily crunches, but core work which can be done with squats, lunges, pushups, etc., etc..

This is a good website to check out about what each body fat % looks like. For women to have defined abs, they need to be lower than 18%.

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

That is an awesome site!!! Sadly, I have 24% body fat and look just like the girl with 25%. :( Want to get down to the 18%!! Great way to visualize it. Thanks!