Deadlift Reps/Sets?

Options
BLifts38
BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
How many reps/sets do you do?

I've been doing 3 sets of 8 reps.. and by the 5th rep, I feel as if I'm losing strength in my grip.

Any pointers?

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Is it affecting your form on the last 3 reps? If so, you don't want to risk injury. Maybe do 5 sets of 5 reps each. Just keep working at it and you'll improve.
  • sappermuff
    sappermuff Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Why so many reps? Personally I limit deadlifts to 5 reps, but that's just my preference and what works for me.

Beyond that, chalk is a huge help. Get the stuff rock climbers use. Might also try doing targeted grip and forearm work. Farmers walks, plate pinches, high rep HEAVY dumbbell rows have all worked for me.
  • Gemmi73
    Gemmi73 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    In addition to the hook grip (and strengthening exercises), do a mixed grip if you haven't. And lastly, if your form is good and the weight is fine but you're still losing the bar, try barbell straps.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Chalk and mixed grip. Hook grip almost sheared my thumb nail off. I do 3x3-8 depending on the week.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I typically hit anywhere from 3-8 reps depending on what type of training I'm aiming for at the time. I've gone as high as 12 but I didn't like going that high with DLs. Do you do double overhand or mixed? I usually do warm up sets with double overhand and switch to mixed grip for heavy sets or high rep sets. Also chalk is awesome!

When I was starting out I had a huge grip issue, bent over bb rows (3-5 rep range) helped, as did deadlift holds. On my last rep in each set I would hold the bar until grip was about to fail, then set it down. Didn't take long for my grip to improve.
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    This has helped me immensely, it's always in my bag:
    liquidgrip15oz.jpg

I almost always use it on back day.

Maybe use straps when your grip starts failing.

Also, why 8 reps?
    I don't see the need to go above 6 reps.
    My personal opinion btw.
    I see it primarily as a strength exercise.

6 sets of 4-6 is my usual goto.

Look into chalk/liquid chalk (it's less messy than chalk) and straps.

If you want to work on your grip:
    Farmers walks and plain old dumbbell rows did the job for me.
  • BLifts38
    BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    I typically hit anywhere from 3-8 reps depending on what type of training I'm aiming for at the time. I've gone as high as 12 but I didn't like going that high with DLs. Do you do double overhand or mixed? I usually do warm up sets with double overhand and switch to mixed grip for heavy sets or high rep sets. Also chalk is awesome!

When I was starting out I had a huge grip issue, bent over bb rows (3-5 rep range) helped, as did deadlift holds. On my last rep in each set I would hold the bar until grip was about to fail, then set it down. Didn't take long for my grip to improve.

I do double overhand. what kind of warm up set do you recommend? admittedly, I don't do any warm ups and I'm realizing that's bad....
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I do 3 1x5 warm-up sets, and then a 1x5 set at my 5RM weight. Each jump is about 12.5% higher than the previous (I have a spreadsheet that does all that stuff for me -- I don't try to do it in my head). The heavier the working weight, generally the fewer the warmups, so you're not exhausted by the time your get to the final set of pulls. I'm with @Kimo159 - on my final rep of my working weight set, I'll hold grip until I feel it about to fail before finishing the rep (still lifting DOH). But I'm only pulling 1.5x body weight at the moment -- I'm sure I'll have to come up with other approaches as I go up in weight.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i pull sets of 1 when it gets heavy. My warm up sets are from 8 down to 5 down to 3, and then some really heavy singles. A good deadlift needs a clean fresh set up before pulling.

• musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    Same thing as everyone says, use chalk, mixed grip, use warm up sets....if they still get fatigued too quickly, start doing farmers carry or anything to improve grip strength. That is the best thing about deadlifts, it tests all of your bodies strength.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »

I do double overhand. what kind of warm up set do you recommend? admittedly, I don't do any warm ups and I'm realizing that's bad....

My warm ups right now are pretty much exactly what @hill8570 said. I'm doing sets of 3 for working sets right now so I start at about 65% for 1x5, 1x3 @ 77.5%, 1x2 @ 90 and then on to my working sets. If I was working with a 5RM I would adjust my warm up reps accordingly. Also, since your doing DOH I would just give mixed grip a try.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I typically don't do warm up sets. I do cardio to get my blood flowing and muscles and joints lubricated and then go right into my working sets. I also stick to a 75% working load for my sets and do moderate reps (typically between 8-10). It works for me and I've seen a lot of growth from it. If my strength plateaus, then I just change it up for a week or two doing either lower reps 90% max or higher reps 50% max to keep the muscles guessing. However, my lifts aren't for strengths but for aesthetics.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    stronglifts calls for just one set of 5 reps for deadlift, but I was trained to do the mixed grip thing and I have some OCD tendencies which means I can't deal with doing 3 reps with one wrist forward and only 2 with the other wrist forward so I do 1x6 instead. lol.
  • hill8570
    edited May 2016
    Options
    stronglifts calls for just one set of 5 reps for deadlift, but I was trained to do the mixed grip thing and I have some OCD tendencies which means I can't deal with doing 3 reps with one wrist forward and only 2 with the other wrist forward so I do 1x6 instead. lol.

SL calls for a single set of 5 for the working weight (heavy) set. You still should do warm-up sets.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    does SL actually have a warmup routine? I don't recall ever seeing anything about that. I actually added my own warmup to my workouts but I don't remember reading anything about a warmup.
  • hill8570
    Options
    does SL actually have a warmup routine? I don't recall ever seeing anything about that. I actually added my own warmup to my workouts but I don't remember reading anything about a warmup.

http://stronglifts.com/5-rules-to-find-your-perfect-warm-up-weight/

The app figures it all out for you (can't remember if it's one of the paid add-ons, 'tho...been a while since I was running SL).
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What are your goals and what does the rest of your program look like?

As far as grip goes, chalk or liquid chalk or mixed grip or hook grip or some combination of those things.

Nobody is going to be able to make specific set and rep suggestions (accurately) without knowing your goals and what the remaining program looks like.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Do as many reps/sets as you can with your double overhand as this will continue to build grip strength, but then switch to mixed grip when you need to. I try and do all of my warm-up sets as double over and then anything over 300 with mixed grip, but that's just me.