Options
2»

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    crzyone wrote: »
    I so understand. If foods there, I'm going to eat it. I have had to clear out my house and not have it around. It's hard for you if the other people in your house keep food available. If you find an tips, please share, to help me and others who have no control when food is around. Good luck!!

Me also. I keep it out of the house. I had trouble with husband bringing junk food into the house at first. He didn't get it until I explained how difficult it is for me to know x,y,z is in the house. I told him not to bring it out and eat it in front of me anymore.

I stay away from buffets if I can because I love them and want to try everything. Then my plate is too full. I can go to them now if I tell myself that it is not a free for all time for me. I will put low cal veggies on 1/2 of the plate, starchy veggies or carbs on 1/4 of the plate and put protein on 1/4 of the plate. That will fill me up. I will be stricter the rest of the week but this kind of eating keeps me from going overboard with calories if I have to go to a buffet. I will only eat one plate of food.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I live with my parents and my father always buys junk.

It is his food, not yours. Leave his food alone.

Even if he offers it and/or it is actually available for you to take, I find it helpful to think of food I haven't purchased myself as someone else's food. I wouldn't dream of going into the fridge at work and helping myself to someone's sandwich, and so in the same way, if someone brings food to work to share, I just think of it as their food, not mine.

That works for me also regarding family members.. I treat food at the supermarket like that. Lol. I will see an end cap and tell myself, " That is someone else's food not yours." They are mind games. But they do work.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Ultimately you have to decide you want it more than the food. There are no tricks, secrets or easy ways out. It's hard... if it wasn't everyone would do it and it wouldn't be such a big deal.

Exercise your willpower muscle and it will get stronger. Log in advance to plan your day and stick to the plan. Allow treats so you don't go insane, but keep to your goal as much as possible. If you go over on a day, think about why it happened and what you can do to avoid it in the future.

It's all you. You've got to be determined, dedicated and take control. It's not something you can do half arsed.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It takes time to form the habit of making better choices. If I had been you I would have chose one piece of bread and the rest would have been protein/fibre. Its all about learning to say no to too much of a certain thing. It does become very natural eventually to do this and not even think much about it.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I lived with a big eater when I was trying to lose weight at first. Someone who seemingly could eat any junk and not gain. Yay for his 24-yo male metabolism. I'm gonna share what helped me change my cravings for sweet muffins and the like.

Do these things have labels? At my very highest weight, here's something I did. I cut out highly processed sugars and fats. So let's say there's a shelf full of little debbies and such. I'd look at the labels. I'd not eat the ones that contained corn syrup (especially high fructose corn syrup) and "hydrogenated" fats. I'd still eat a muffin or whatever, it's just I'd opt for the ones that had real sugar and real butter or whatever.

It's not that these products are bad. It's more that the body is more satisfied with the taste of butter. It turns on hormones that help us feel like we've actually eaten 300 calories of sugar and fat. This way, I was still getting a treat, I was still enjoying foods. I was just giving my body a bit of an edge in the fight. Gosh, now when I eat little debbies, the sweetness and such tastes so CHEMICAL to me. It's easy to just eat one zebra cake, since they taste rather powdery and chemical to me now.

It didn't happen overnight, but it only took about 30 days for me to start disliking eating TONS of sweet breads.
  • Sharp123321
    Sharp123321 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! All your advice is great.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    something I do for carbs anyway is I say that I won't eat it if it is something I can make myself and I will only eat things that are made by friends/family from scratch or if it is from a real bakery. It doesn't always work. Wawa sizzlis have saved my morning on more than one occasion, but for the most part it curbs my carb intake. I am a good baker. I love to bake. I just don't have a ton of time. I have to choose what I am going to make carefully.

For instance I have been dying to make lemon crinkle cookies. But I am so tired when i get home from work that I don't get to it. This weekend will be busy so no bread baking. And there you have it, no extra carbs. Although I do have a birthday cake to make....le sigh.
  • Rachelcampbell92
    Rachelcampbell92 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm the same! Don't let it put you off!! You just need to get used to less calories apparently it takes about 4-6 weeks for a small change in your routine to become a habit so just try and reward yourself once a week! That's what I've been doing, though I still have my slip ups! It's normal!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Prelog food. Look a the numbers. Make a choice.
    Eat slowly and really savor food. Wait 20 minutes after finishing before getting more food. When you don't want to eat more throw things away, put them away, drink some water, brush your teeth, pop some gum in your mouth (mint works for me), leave the table/room/building, or get busy with something else.
    Talk to yourself. Reflect on how much you want to reach your goal versus eating food because it is there. Tell yourself that you have had enough food, you are not hungry, this food is not rare and you will eat again when the time is right.
    If you go over just log and move on. It takes time to learn portion sizes and change habits. You don't have to be perfect every day.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Loads of good advice already given. Here are a few more tips that I've found useful.
    1. Get the other guests on your side:
    I tell the guests at the buffet that I'm on a strict diet? I find I usually get most people's help and support, even if they are strangers.
    2. Just say no:
    It's easy to eat very badly at buffets. Even food that might seem wholesome if you'd prepared it at home may well be stacked with cheap catering ingredients and bad fats. Sometimes I avoid the buffet by taking my own simple foods and go outside to eat it. I often find others there as well.
    3. Eat beforehand:
    With a breakfast buffet, I tend to eat something healthy before I go out. At the buffet I just take tea or coffee. Both are surprisingly high in useful minerals.
    4. Partition the table:
    I divide the table into yes an no foods. Most buffets have something healthy. I position myself near the healthier option, then if the conversation flags I'll find myself reaching out for a square of melon and not the bacon croissants.
    6. You don't have to sparkle 24/7:
    In a social situation I sometimes find I'm lost for words, or worse feel alone in a room full of people. I just make my excuses and leave the room, go to the lounge/garden/ladies and chill out for a while. I go back once I've got a new burst of enthusiasm to network.
    Good luck,
    Keep that willpower steely!
    Wendy