ISO best coffee recommendations

Options
ydyms
ydyms Posts: 266 Member
Can anyone recommend a really good coffee that perhaps I could TRY to drink black?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee black every morning. I grew up drinking it that way, so that helps, but I am definitely picky about what's in my cup.

My favorite is Peet's Major Dickason's blend (their most popular I think), and I get the whole bean and grind it myself in a good quality burr grinder. I grind enough to last me 3 days or so, and it's always good, but that first sip on the day it's fresh ground is oh SO good!

You can find Peet's at most supermarkets and Target, and Costco carries it in a 2lb bag in the whole bean. That's where I bought my grinder as well.

And now I can't wait until morning for that awesome cup of coffee! :smile:
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Key to good coffee is freshness. Find yourself a local coffee roaster and checkout what they have. A quick google tells me that The French Press at 108 Ocean Ave Lakewood Township, NJ is fairly decent, (never been there, though i did come to NJ a fair while ago) talk to the the people there they are bound to set you right.

I used to dislike drinking coffee till i discovered fresh coffee, now i have my own espresso machine and grinder and buy whole beans every 2-3 weeks.

Back to the the long black Mocha blend im drinking right now :)
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Local roasts will always be the best! Fresh is best, after all. :smile: otherwise, try some flavored coffees. Some give just enough flavor that no sweetener is needed. Or you could try a light roast. The Starbuccks Blonde Roast is pretty good!
  • ydyms
    Options
    awinner_au wrote: »
    Key to good coffee is freshness. Find yourself a local coffee roaster and checkout what they have. A quick google tells me that The French Press at 108 Ocean Ave Lakewood Township, NJ is fairly decent, (never been there, though i did come to NJ a fair while ago) talk to the the people there they are bound to set you right.

I used to dislike drinking coffee till i discovered fresh coffee, now i have my own espresso machine and grinder and buy whole beans every 2-3 weeks.

Oh wow- that was kind of you to google that! I will check it out :)
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    ydyms wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a really good coffee that perhaps I could TRY to drink black?

100% Kona Coffee from Hawaii. Very smooth, pricey. If you want cheaper, then Costa Rican and Guatemalan coffees are smooth.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    whole bean and grind it myself in a good quality burr grinder.

^^same here. My experience was that the biggest improvement to taste was when I moved from ground to whole bean and ground it fresh.

But, for the OP that expenditure may be a waste. I would recommend going to a good coffee shop and ordering a black coffee. if that is not to your taste consider using a french press (cafetiere if your British) to make cold brewed coffee and serving it ice cold. It is much sweeter and milder than the same coffee served hot. If after all that you just can't stomach the stuff then maybe coffee is not for you.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I can't stand hot coffee without milk; can't stand iced coffee without sugar.

Try cold brew of something smooth (I like Publix store brand espresso) over ice with a splash of milk, I know a lot of people who like that, but for me if it's iced I only like it sweet :(

When I need something caffeinated and without calories, I do either unsweet iced tea or diet coke.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I like the Target brand flavored coffee. Not too bitter, but just the kick I need in the morning.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Get a french press!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the french press and buy a good freshly roasted coffee, preferably from a small local coffee store. Everyone's tastes are different. I personally love a medium roast from Brazil - my bff loves the super dark roast. There really is a taste difference in light/medium/dark roasts as well as the origin of the bean. I've been going to the Coffee & Tea Exchange in Chicago for 20 plus years. I'm sure your town has a local roaster talk to them and ask for a taste before buying. I've tried a bunch of different beans and Brazil is my all time favorite. I pay a whole lot less than Starbucks or Dunkin and my coffee is wonderful.
  • ydyms
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Get a french press!

I actually ordered one and then returned it. How is this used? Hot or cold?
  • awinner_au
    Options
    A french press is intended for brewing hot coffee. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_press , whatever method you use to brew, the key is freshly ground beans.
  • doddsar127
    doddsar127 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Try Tasmanian Peabody if you can find it... Bold, smooth and naturally has a sweet soft flavor. Also, try adding a pinch of salt and some thing proud (eggshells or a cinnoman stick) to it. The salt balances any acidity and the porous substance absorbs the oils (so they don't go rancid from the heat if the coffee is not served right away after brewing, so i'm told).
  • doddsar127
    doddsar127 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sorry... It's Tazmanian PeaBerry....
  • awinner_au
    Options
    doddsar127 wrote: »
    Sorry... It's Tazmanian PeaBerry....

did you mean Tanzanian peaberry? Ive been to both Tasmania and Tanzania... :o
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I buy Lavazza ground coffee, and make Americanos with my aeropress. It's a very simple coffee maker that essentially creates a shot of espresso (just not foamy, because it isn't machine pressed). You add the shot to a mug, and top up with hot water.

This is my 10000% preferred way to have it. Americanos are awesome :)

(I use 1 packet splenda, and 1/3 cup unsweetened cashew milk in mine for a total of 10cals per coffee)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,413 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    awinner_au wrote: »

I buy from a local roaster, have them grind it just shy of espresso fine (enough for one week) and make coffee if I want it black with my aeropress.
    Basically I will try anything in a medium to dark roast, my favorite being a Brazilian Cerrado.

I also drink certain k-cups black (we get a European coffeehouse pack delivered, with French roast, espresso roast, Italian and Colombian).

I have also reached the point I will drink the coffee at work black as long as it is brewed with 2-2.5 pouches of grounds,which since I work 12. 5hr overnights is almost always the case.

But the device I would follow is paragraph one.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I buy Lavazza ground coffee, and make Americanos with my aeropress. It's a very simple coffee maker that essentially creates a shot of espresso (just not foamy, because it isn't machine pressed). You add the shot to a mug, and top up with hot water.

(I use 1 packet splenda, and 1/3 cup unsweetened cashew milk in mine for a total of 10cals per coffee)

I LOVE my aeropress!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

i hear very good stuff about the aeropress and since they are simple and light weight I'm thinking of getting one to keep at work and to use when camping. The only thing that put me off when I first looked into them was the paper filters but I see that you can get re-usable metal filters.