Water intake

Options
Hi, I note we need to drink 8 glasses of water a day, does a cup of tea count as a glass of water substitute?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    8 glasses of water a day is a myth. Might be too little, might be more than you need.
    That hydration only comes from water is another myth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4xbbJdqJzS3J32vrYT6nnwq/how-much-water-should-i-be-drinking
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    yes. All liquids count. Some folks will swoop in and say "oh no it is ONLY PURE WATER, nothing else counts" but the Mayo Clinic (and many other reputable organizations) disagree and I side with them! 8, 8-oz glasses is a totally random and arbitrary number as well; drink to satisfy your thirst, make sure your urine is fairly pale (assuming you don't take a vitamin that will change its color such as b vitamins lol) and don't spend too much thought on it.
  • sharondjs
    sharondjs Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    @bulgariabody

Everyone has an opinion on this

yes there is an amount of fluid each person needs daily as you lose it in sweat breath urine etc so this is copied and pasted direct from mayo clinic

So how much fluid does the average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate need? The Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate intake (AI) for men is roughly about 13 cups (3 liters) of total beverages a day. The AI for women is about 9 cups (2.2 liters) of total beverages a day.

lol which is higher than the 8 glasses a day
    what it says about that, is this

What about the advice to drink 8 glasses a day?

Everyone has heard the advice, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day." That's about 1.9 liters, which isn't that different from the Institute of Medicine recommendations. Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total.

it also depends on where you live is it really hot and humid like where i live in our wet season it's easy to drink 4 liters a day as it just runs straight down your back in sweat LOl !!!

• bulgariabody
    bulgariabody Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I only started with this app yesterday, so all info is very helpful. Oh and I do like a cup or 2 of tea during my days at work, therefore I'm glad all fluid counts.
  • sharondjs
    sharondjs Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    @bulgariabody - welcome :smile:
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Well most of the days I barely drink 1 liter (sometimes only 0.5 L ) of fluids and I'm still alive :D And most of my food choices don't contain much liquid either. Everyone is different. Your body will tell you...if you feel thirsty- drink, if your pee color gets dark - drink... if none of that occurs and you feel fine, you are well hydrated :)
  • AlisonMulhare
    AlisonMulhare Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just started off with setting a target of 1 litre because I wasn't drinking much at all - only 2/3 cups of tea a day.

Once I conquered drinking 1 litre moved myself to 1.5 litres - that's what I'm on now. I'll have a look in a week or two and see if I'm consistently drinking this much and if so I'll up it.

I know all the different guidelines and recommendations are there but for now I'm more about getting into the habit of drinking lots :)
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    The 8 glasses is an arbitrary myth - three years ago I gave it up.

I drink two glasses of water first thing in the morning - thirsty or not. Otherwise I drink when thirsty. An exception is if its hot outside and I'm going for an exercise walk _ I drink as much as I can first.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    yes. All liquids count. Some folks will swoop in and say "oh no it is ONLY PURE WATER, nothing else counts" but the Mayo Clinic (and many other reputable organizations) disagree and I side with them! 8, 8-oz glasses is a totally random and arbitrary number as well; drink to satisfy your thirst, make sure your urine is fairly pale (assuming you don't take a vitamin that will change its color such as b vitamins lol) and don't spend too much thought on it.

^^Agree

Most people get enough water from their food and drink to keep hydrated.
    If you are thirsty that is a sign you need to drink. For most people, the 8, 8 fluid ounces is a general guideline, not a carved in stone, minimum amount of water everyone needs. Some need less, some need more. Your body tells you through thirst and urine color.

• ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'd say only decaf. Caffeine is known to dehydrate so it can erase some of your fluid intake but for sake of MFP log it and aim to add another cup. :) Long ago a chiropractor told me for any 8 ounces of caffeinated drink you might require 2 cups to undo it.

I also agree that it can be too little for some and not nearly enough for others. I drink on average 15 cups sometimes more. In summer I will consume a gallon a day it is Arizona desert. lol
  • NHDaisy2
    NHDaisy2 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone above has said about fluid intake. However, I do" only count the actual water I drink because I'm trying to increase my water intake and this helps me to keep track.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'd say only decaf. Caffeine is known to dehydrate so it can erase some of your fluid intake but for sake of MFP log it and aim to add another cup. :) Long ago a chiropractor told me for any 8 ounces of caffeinated drink you might require 2 cups to undo it.

I also agree that it can be too little for some and not nearly enough for others. I drink on average 15 cups sometimes more. In summer I will consume a gallon a day it is Arizona desert. lol

That's BS though... the chiropractor was likely well-intentioned, but 100% wrong. Yes, caffeine is dehydrating however a basic google search will tell you that there is not enough caffeine in a cup of coffee or tea to "undo" the hydration of the drink.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options

Not true about caffeine. In recent years, studies have proven that caffeine does not dehydrate like that. Otherwise people who only drink pop, tea, etc, would die of dehydration.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I tend to alternate between drinking a 20 oz bottle of unsweetened iced tea and the same 20 oz bottle of water, each with lemon. I like the flavor and the little pick me up of the tea. I count each one as water.