Thought the exercise would do me good!

Options
fr33sia12
fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
On Wednesday I decided to take the stairs instead of using the lift, thought the exercised would be great, so walked down 18 floors. How wrong was I!
The next 2 days my calves hurt so bad I can hardly walk and walking is my main exercise.
Don't think I'll be doing that again.
Anyone else had any exercise mishaps?

Replies

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Lol
  • wakamaka
    wakamaka Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Haha what you're feeling is delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). You put your body through a new stress that it hasn't done recently. This has happened a lot to me whenever I stop working out for several weeks and try to hop back in.
    Also 18 floors is a lot if that was your first time/attempt. You may want to focus on increasing it slowly (taking the lift to the 9th and then walk 9 floors down) etc etc. If you keep it up, you will no longer feel the DOMS. Just listen to your body/rest until you can continue.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Don't stop because you're a little sore. It takes time to build strength and endurance. Next time walk up 5 floors, then 6 floors, then 7....you get the idea.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Ouch! I know that feeling well. I've been working out regularly for years but recently had completely neglected working my calves. During a session with my trainer a couple months ago he had me do the standing calf-raise machine. Oh boy. I couldn't walk normally for 2 days. I tip-toed around the house holding onto the walls or counter tops. I wear high heels to work so I could disguise my hobbling a bit better. Lesson learned! Calf-raise machine is now in my weekly weight sessions.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I think that my worst mishap was when I decided to get back into cycling. I went to a group session, got on a bike and promptly fell off. Not a small fall but a total collapse, bike and all and had to be untangled from the bike. I hadn't even moved AND I had one foot on the floor still. Talk about mortifying. Still find it embarrassing.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Would seem to be the wrong lesson. My takeaway would be that you need to be doing more walking in non-flat conditions.

If fear of DOMS kept everyone from working out, we're all have our a$$es glued to the couch watching tube 24/7.

Yup, excellent advice.

First time I switched locations from fairly level terrain to hiking down a very steep slope... I was sore as hell afterwards.

The second time I went hiking down that very steep slope... I was pretty darn sore afterwards.

The third time I went hiking down that very steep slope... I had some mild soreness that went away with some stretching.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    The fear of DOMs is what keeps me going back. I only get really sore if I take time off or attempt something new.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Walk down 2 floors, not 18. Next week, make it 4 floors, the next week 6, and so on. Better yet, walk UP the stairs, not down.