2»

Replies

• srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    srecupid wrote: »
    terbusha wrote: »
    I think people do better when they have a specific calorie goal that they can aim for that is the same every day. Consistency wins.

I disagree. I spend my weekends in the mountains doing long hikes and bike rides. Sadly I spent my weekdays sitting at a computer. To be more consistent I would have to stop exercising so much on weekends; clearly that wouldn't help my weight or fitness goals.

Or be more active on weekdays or compensate manually.

Or just continue doing what s/he's doing that obviously works for him/her!

QFT
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I like my Garmin VivoFit. For things like swimming, I wear it with the heart monitor, and set it up as an 'activity' and have good results.
    It's really helped me have a clearer picture of how much activity I do during the day. Who knew I could burn through my 10,000 steps just cleaning house? And I don't even have that big of a house!
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You will hear rants about the inaccuracies of such devices, but I have found my Charge HR to be quite accurate with one caveat. It does give me false steps when driving, sometimes quite a lot. Solved that by using Drivebit, which posts my driving to Fitbit for me. Starting out morbidly obese, I don't think I could have made through the "2 lbs a week" stage without knowing how many exercise calories I could eat. Now that I have slowed my loss to 1 lb a week, I have still found it to be very accurate. I love mine and am even anxious any time I have to take it off to charge!
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I don't use fitness trackers or calculate calories from exercise or activity. I set and adjust my calorie level by how I'm progressing towards my weight loss/maintain/gain goal. For example, if I'm more active, then my weight will begin to decrease and I'll need to up my calories. Since I'm looking at the result I'm actually interested in (weight change), it's a good way of letting me know if I'm on the right track.

I will say that calorie trackers can be a good thing to help you stay at a certain activity level throughout the day, but I wouldn't use them to earn more calories. I think people do better when they have a specific calorie goal that they can aim for that is the same every day. Consistency wins.

Unfortunately we are in the minority. To me it's a glorified pedometer. It always will be.

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »
    I don't use fitness trackers or calculate calories from exercise or activity. I set and adjust my calorie level by how I'm progressing towards my weight loss/maintain/gain goal. For example, if I'm more active, then my weight will begin to decrease and I'll need to up my calories. Since I'm looking at the result I'm actually interested in (weight change), it's a good way of letting me know if I'm on the right track.

I will say that calorie trackers can be a good thing to help you stay at a certain activity level throughout the day, but I wouldn't use them to earn more calories. I think people do better when they have a specific calorie goal that they can aim for that is the same every day. Consistency wins.

Unfortunately we are in the minority. To me it's a glorified pedometer. It always will be.

I don't see why you see this as an unfortunate thing.

A food scale, a fitness tracker, Trendweight and/or other weight tracking apps, whatever one's diet of choice or workout routine is; all of these are optional tools that assist people in reaching their goals. Pedometers have been around for a long time; I can imagine how much of a nightmare the manual click ones were to use. Like all technology, improvements have been made over time that benefit the user greatly. I do use a Charge HR, but before that existed 13 years ago, I was able to get myself from 190 pounds to 119 pounds just by eating less and moving more. Unfortunately I didn't know about CICO back then, so for a few years I'd bounce between 115 and 140, but never any higher. Now I'm 111 pounds and the knowledge of CICO and the use of my food scale and my Charge HR have been paramount in my success. In fact, without my food scale and Fitbit, I would be afraid to eat as many calories as I do and I would be underweight at this point, trying to find some sort of middle ground. There are many ways to fiddle around to find your maintenance, deficit, or surplus calories but a fitness tracker can be an efficient way to do so. It's not perfect, as there is nothing that can pinpoint CICO with 100% accuracy, but I think anything that gets people active, glorified pedometer or not, is a positive thing overall.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I've enjoyed mine simply because I like meeting my 10,000 steps goal each day. I pretty much ignore the calories burned though. I have found it to be pretty inaccurate. Like you, I breastfeed and there's no way to track that. I also do a lot of activities that don't seem to be tracked as accurately. It usually tells me my calorie burn is 1600-1700 a day but I eat closer to 2000 a day and maintain. I feel like a pedometer may have been a better way to go for me!
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I like my Garmin VivoFit. For things like swimming, I wear it with the heart monitor, and set it up as an 'activity' and have good results.
    It's really helped me have a clearer picture of how much activity I do during the day. Who knew I could burn through my 10,000 steps just cleaning house? And I don't even have that big of a house!

I have a vivofit as well and find that it is so inaccurate when I'm cleaning the house! Often I'll be working my butt off cleaning and I'll have the little red flashing light tell me I've been inactive for over an hour. It always pisses me off! Or carrying around loads of laundry and stuff like that, it was underestimates my steps! On days that I spend a lot of time cleaning, I end up with super low numbers.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you, everyone, for your replies! I really appreciate the feedback!
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have an UP24 by Jawbone, I like it well enough but I have found it grossly underestimates my caloric needs for the day. MFP set me at 1660 to lose a pound a week and jawbone would tell me I should only eat 1200 for the day. I now use it only for motivation when I have been sitting too long and to gauge how active I have been and how I can become more active.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I think people do better when they have a specific calorie goal that they can aim for that is the same every day. Consistency wins.
    I disagree. I spend my weekends in the mountains doing long hikes and bike rides. Sadly I spent my weekdays sitting at a computer. To be more consistent I would have to stop exercising so much on weekends; clearly that wouldn't help my weight or fitness goals.

Well said. With a full time desk job, I simply cannot be as active during the week as I'd like. Yesterday I gardened for three hours and was proportionally more hungry and ate accordingly than the day before when my job and other commitments sucked up all my time.