Muscle Groups??

Options
I finally took the plunge and joined a gym by my house. I'd like to start adding strength training to my routine, not just cardio. My question is, how do I go about setting up a workout plan to correctly work each muscle group? Mainly, which muscle group(s) should I workout together on the same day? I know legs are typically on a day alone, but what about the rest? What do your plans look like?
Thanks!!

Replies

• BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I don't do seperate leg days.

My plan

Day 1 quads, chest and core
    Day 2 hamstring, back and core
    Day 3 calves, biceps, triceps and core.

I do a cardio day in between each weightlifting day and rest on sunday.
    <3
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    In my opinion, unless you are a personal trainer or someone with experience making well-rounded workout plans you shouldn't even try. Additionally, i would advise against trying to do to much accessory work for any perceived "weak areas" as almost all areas are weak when just beginning.

If i were you i would pick one of the plethora of free workout plans out there which include compound lifts and cover all muscle groups for you. That way you don't even have to worry about it or wonder if you're missing something.
  • DanielBrunson
    DanielBrunson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't have a set day for anything.. I just alternate through each muscle group till they are all done. My weakest muscle group, I hit as often as possible. It looks something like this. Add some cardio and you'll be good to go.

Monday - legs
    Tuesday - back
    Wednesday- chest
    Thursday - shoulders
    Friday - legs
    Saturday - biceps/triceps
    Sunday - rest or restart
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    In my opinion, unless you are a personal trainer or someone with experience making well-rounded workout plans you shouldn't even try. Additionally, i would advise against trying to do to much accessory work for any perceived "weak areas" as almost all areas are weak when just beginning.

If i were you i would pick one of the plethora of free workout plans out there which include compound lifts and cover all muscle groups for you. That way you don't even have to worry about it or wonder if you're missing something.

Agreed.

BekahC1980 wrote: »

My plan

<3

Do you even shoulders though?

Why not just follow a routine that's been proven to work and make a few tweaks of your own?
    See post above.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

This. I choose to pay for my programming because I'm at the point where I need something tailored just to me, and I know if I did my own thing I'd play to my strengths and just let everything else be.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    As it sounds like you are a beginner then full body workout x3 a week focussing on the big compound lifts would be my recommendation.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 623 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    What he said or consider a push/pull/legs/split. 3 days is plenty for a beginner. Stick to it for at least 12 weeks
  • PatrickLim
    PatrickLim Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    As it sounds like you are a beginner then full body workout x3 a week focussing on the big compound lifts would be my recommendation.
    Most beginners are not ready to properly perform compound lifts. I would suggest hiring or asking a certified personal trainer for assistance. Without knowing your current health staus, previous injuries, medical conditions, movement patterns, etc...it's is difficult to properly and safely prescribe a workout routine tailored to your specific goals.

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I don't have a set day for anything.. I just alternate through each muscle group till they are all done. %My weakest muscle group, I hit as often as possible. It looks something like this. Add some cardio and you'll be good to go.

Monday - legs
    Tuesday - back
    Wednesday- chest
    Thursday - shoulders
    Friday - legs
    Saturday - biceps/triceps
    Sunday - rest or restart

So legs are your weakest muscle group? That's different.
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    a typical body builder workout might look something like this:

day one : 20 min cardio, chest, triceps, shoulders and core
    day two : 20 min cardio, back, biceps, traps and core
    day three : 20 min cardio and all legs and core
    day four : rest

When i was body building that was what my workouts roughly looked like. 20 mins cardio ive been told by other weight lifters is a magic number to get your blood pumping the right amount to aid in lifting weights.

What lifts you choose is up to you, there are so many different ones for each body part.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    As a beginner, you are best to do a full body routine that focuses on large compound movements (squat, deadlift, push up, row, etc.). Muscle group splits are not as beneficial for beginners and, to be honest, I wouldn't recommend them unless a person stopped progressing on a full body program.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Full body workout, compound lifts, three times a week.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

My plan

<3
    What about your deltoids, traps, forearms, and glutes? You're missing 1/3 of your body, also you're hitting your biceps 2 days in a row which could be a bit too much volume.

If you're just joining a gym and looking for mostly strength building, you should look into beginner strength training programs. Try to avoid creating you're own until you're at least an intermediate lifter; it takes awhile to gain the necessary knowledge to optimize a program. Starting strength, strong curves, and strong lifts 5x5 are all good programs for a beginner.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    There's a book called "New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Alywn Cosgrove and Lou Shuler. It lays out a plan for you. If I remember right it's a 6 month schedule. You can find it on Amazon or I've seen it in some book stores. It's been out for a while now so could probably find it pretty cheap on Amazon. There is even some recipes and how to set up a nutrition plan in there. Good luck!
    http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583333398/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464437966&sr=8-1&keywords=new+rules+of+lifting+for+women
  • jackies620
    jackies620 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

My plan

<3
    What about your deltoids, traps, forearms, and glutes? You're missing 1/3 of your body, also you're hitting your biceps 2 days in a row which could be a bit too much volume.

If you're just joining a gym and looking for mostly strength building, you should look into beginner strength training programs. Try to avoid creating you're own until you're at least an intermediate lifter; it takes awhile to gain the necessary knowledge to optimize a program. Starting strength, strong curves, and strong lifts 5x5 are all good programs for a beginner.

So, not to sound completely oblivious, but what are 5x5's?? I've seen this in a lot of posts, but not quite sure what it is.
    Thanks so much for your input!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    jackies620 wrote: »
    jessef593 wrote: »

My plan

<3

So, not to sound completely oblivious, but what are 5x5's?? I've seen this in a lot of posts, but not quite sure what it is.
    Thanks so much for your input!!

5x5 means 5 sets of 5 reps. This is the strength set and rep range. Strong Lifts 5x5 is a program that will help you set up the appropriate weight and add weight each workout.
  • Bossladytrainer
    Bossladytrainer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I typically Instruct my clients to have 3 non consecutive, total body workouts per week.

If you're new to exercising try 2 sets of 12 reps
    (You know your at a good weight when it starts to burn around 8-9.)