Should I be discouraged after 4 weeks?

Options
How long does it take to start seeing results? I have been doing a low calorie diet, and walking 2-3 miles a day for 4 weeks? I have lost close to 14 lbs. but I am seeing no results whatsoever! Maybe because I have at least 100 lbs to lose, but I am getting discouraged. I am wondering how long it should take for me and others to start seeing results? Thanks!!!

Replies

• honeyseymour123
    honeyseymour123 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've lost 4lbs in 4 weeks so be greatful lol
  • xCyanideGirlx
    xCyanideGirlx Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Im in the same position as you! 24 days into this, 11lbs lost and no difference in the mirror whatsoever because i still have so much to lose. One way i keep myself motivated with no visible difference is bargaining with myself. At the end of june if i see no physical difference, ill allow myself to give up because at that point ill know that what im doing isnt working. Give yourself another month, wait till the end of june like me and hopefully we'll both look back to today and say "damn i can see it! im glad i didnt give up back then"
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Im in the same position as you! 24 days into this, 11lbs lost and no difference in the mirror whatsoever because i still have so much to lose. One way i keep myself motivated with no visible difference is bargaining with myself. At the end of june if i see no physical difference, ill allow myself to give up because at that point ill know that what im doing isnt working. Give yourself another month, wait till the end of june like me and hopefully we'll both look back to today and say "damn i can see it! im glad i didnt give up back then"

The difference is on the scale. You will probably be the last person to notice your own weight loss in the mirror. Seriously, in about half a year I was 60 lb down and three or four pants sizes smaller and still saw nothing changed in the mirror. Not because I wasn't actually changing, the clothing and scale were proof of that, but because our perceptions of ourselves change much, much slower than our bodies.

I'm now down 110 lb, and some days I STILL don't see much of a change. But it's there, and the reaction of people who haven't seen me in a year leads me to conclude it's far more obvious to them than to myself.

THIS!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Fourteen pounds is no results??
  • bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    In recent weeks I've lost about 10 pounds. I don't see it in the mirror, but my clothes are fitting much better. Look for the NSV (non-scale victories), since sometimes those are move evident than the image you see in the mirror.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Your progress so far is amazing. Keep up the good work and remember this is a lifelong journey to better health. There will be bumps in the road for sure, just knock those suckers down and keep going.
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could take your measurements and compare them once a month. This will show you what the mirror does not - that there is progress being made with the weight loss.
  • DianaQTala
    DianaQTala Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    :) Great job girl!! I was feeling discouraged this morning too. Had my monthly weigh in and only lost 10 pounds. I thought I'd see a huge number. Keep going!!! I realized that I'd hit my goal in 4 more months. If one month went by quickly....well soon we'll see our final results. Hang in there, don't quit!!! ;)
  • Sandee_Bee
    Sandee_Bee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost that much in 3 months! Great job!!
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I'd say that's fantastic results. It took me 4 months to lose 10#'s. Celebrate and keep going forward!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    How on earth does a 14 pound weight loss qualify as "no results whatsoever"? That is the very definition of result!

Are you saying you aren't seeing any noticeable visible changes? That may take a while, especially since we always tend to view ourselves in a harsh light.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I lost 86lb a few years ago and it took about 30lb to go down a size which was when I saw a difference. Now I'm back trying to lose the 30 I gained back. Its been almost 3 months and I'm only down 8lb and see no real difference. I know how frustrating it can be. I just try to remember it's a process. Stay consistent and keep going
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on doing so well! Second, do NOT, any of you, give up while you are being so amazingly successful! Third, 10 pounds is approximately a dress size...try going shopping when you need proof :)