Can't sleep,, with empty stomach

Options
I can't sleep with an empty belly. I need a low carb, low salt and sugar cracker or cookie to fill it before going to bed. Am I the only one?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I eat something everynight right before bed. But I do not do low carb, low salt and low sugar anything all at one time.

I actually fit about 100 calories in my diet for 10:00 snack which is something called "bridge mix". It is about 1/2 a serving and I do not want to eat high fat before I sleep, fat disrupts my sleep so I need the carbs (these make me sleepy).

• tommytorpedo
    tommytorpedo Posts: 53 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thank you for the tip, but I can't have candy in the house. I'd eat the bag of bridge mix up during the day. I have to have a food that has no taste so I don't. also, I have to watch my salt, sugar and fat due to diabetes, high blood pressure and clogged arteries. I'm on a low carb diet.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I eat a protein bar before bed, no particular reason, just because.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I've ended up altering my eating habits, and I eat my largest meal of the day around 7pm. It keeps me full until I go to bed (although I go to bed pretty early).

I'm not sure about all the restrictions (no salt, so sugar, low carb, etc), but try planning ahead and budget for a night time snack that meets you goals. If you plan for it, you probably don't need as many restrictions (as long as those restrictions aren't for medical reasons).

If your restrictions are medical, veggies?
  • tommytorpedo
    tommytorpedo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    thanks for the input. veggies...yech...I drink my veggies in super greens, for lunch.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    How about Greek yogurt with pyure sweetner with some peanut butter powder, and sea salt? Super yummy and filling. I'm like you though. I do like crackers so keep enough calories for carr water crackers (8 for 120 calories) and use 2 pieces of small sliced cheese from the Costco platter or you can slice your own and divide up those 2 pieces between my 8 crackers. It hits the spot and 55 calories for the cheese. Or some healthy skinny pop corn--I like the sea salt or white cheddar and 2 cups is 74 calories from Walmart. Or you could eat a healthy kind of wrap like a 60 calorie with a slice of turkey lunch meat and laughing cow Swiss cheese wedge.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Does it have to be a cookie? You could always eat a hardboiled egg or some chicken or something. Or some string cheese.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I can sleep on an empty stomach but find it very hard to fall asleep. I prefer to have a 50-100 calorie snack an hour or so before bed, usually.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    We eat a late dinner so I usually go to bed within 1/2 hour of finishing dinner. I don't think I'd have trouble falling asleep on an empty stomach as long as I wasn't actually hungry, but eating an early dinner doesn't fit my lifestyle.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do a yogurt cup, jello or a pudding cup before bed. I wake up with the munchies all the time, too. Sometimes I feel a need for protein or something more solid and will eat some deli turkey slices or a sandwich if I have the calories to spare.
  • emz_1993
    emz_1993 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I munch on almonds or fruit and have a nice warm cup of tea
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Try some cheese and a small amount of grapes.

Or some yogurt.

A spoonfuls of peanut butter.

A cup of almond milk, warmed, with some sugar free chocolate syrup.

Veggie sticks and a spoonful of hummus.

Get some ready grilled chicken chunks and have a handful.

A slice of deli meat rolled around a string cheese.

Water with lemon or lime squeezed in it.

1/2-1 serving of almonds.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Cheese, something with fat.
  • cdarned
    cdarned Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Cheese stick and organic rice crackers with sea salt might help. Don't eat watermelon because it will probably make you pee all night!
  • BadAssAries
    BadAssAries Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Try raw cherries about 1/2 hour before you go to bed. Besides being good, & healthy, they have melatonin that help regulate sleep.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I eat a snack around 8-9 pm.
    I'm not on a special diet. I have things like yogurt, fruit, chips, popcorn, pretzels, chocolate, cookies, granola bar, cottage cheese, carrots, celery, broccoli, trail mix, deviled eggs, pickles.

If you want to feel more full maybe reach for foods that have protein, fats or fiber.
    Some people do avocado on toast. I haven't tried it but maybe that would be satisfying.
  • 737jac737
    737jac737 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    BUY CASEIN PROTEIN POWDER TODAY. Drink a glass at 8 pm. It is slow release, all night and you won't snack. It is 10X healthier for you than crackers. CVS, Walmart, Walgreens
  • Dofflin
    Dofflin Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Try to wait to have dinner a little later. I am pretty impatient, and generally want to eat dinner at 4pm, and that's when I need a night snack, but if I can save up till 6pm or later, a bit mug of hot cocoa will do (2teaspoons of cocoa + 2 teaspoons of sugar mixed together, boiling water poured on top, and a dash of your milk of choice - makes me sleepier than a chamomile tea with honey!).
  • ticklepocket
    ticklepocket Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tip, but I can't have candy in the house. I'd eat the bag of bridge mix up during the day. I have to have a food that has no taste so I don't. also, I have to watch my salt, sugar and fat due to diabetes, high blood pressure and clogged arteries. I'm on a low carb diet.

Wow, it sounds like you have some of the same challenges that I do! I struggle with snacking, portion control, cravings and salt restrictions too.

Most cheeses (and other high protein snacks like deli meat) are very high in sodium but swiss cheese is an exception! Swiss cheese is relatively low cal and very low sodium. It is bland and not so yummy that it calls to me from the refrigerator. I cut it up and eat it for a snack like cheese sticks. I have even had good luck with grating it real fine and using it as a substitute for (ultra-super-high sodium) parmesan cheese over pasta and in sauces.

I would really love to hear your tips for losing weight on a low sodium diet. Thanks and good luck!
  • DatsDonna
    DatsDonna Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup non fat cottage cheese OR
    1/2 cup of skim milk & low fat low sugar cereal OR
    1 scrambled egg & dry toast OR
    1 serving of Progresso 100 calorie soup