What am I? Fat, chubby, or overweight?

Hello. I am not sure how to start a post. I will attempt anyways. I should mention basic information about myself:
I am 19 years old American Asian girl.
My current weight is 42.6 Kg (94 LB.)
I am 142 cm(4 ft and 8 in) tall.

I think I am fat and chubby. I don't think I am overweight or at least not obese. I hope that is not the case. I have a lot of excess fat and flabby skin. I used to weigh 20 pounds more like five years ago. I still feel really fat and ugly. I do not like the way my body looks at all. With clothing on, it kind of conceals my flabby skin. I have extra fat on my arms, legs, thigh, butt, and stomach. I will show you some pictures of it. My pictures may not do enough justice though. One picture is of my stomach from upward view as I lean down. I hope that makes sense. My pictures are very low quality due to bad phone camera. I don't really have muscles if you look closely. They are not noticeable due to all my excess fat or large fat pockets. I do not go out with shorts or short sleeve shirt. I wear leggings though they show my fat thighs and butt. My thighs are large and always brush against each other which causes friction and and irritation. I wear baggy and loose clothes to try to hide the fats.
v72k4cy8fu4d.jpg
cd8ba0b44a15c10065fd-24461f391e20b7336331d572su9swwcqu3q.jpg
89078af53.r23.cf1.rackcdn.com/mfp-en.vanillaforums.com/editor/52/hwz03lbj8eei.jpg
megs8asik935.jpg
d8442rclt4nc.jpeg
194bfyowmsbo.jpg
n6ew7gtgqsdn.jpeg
j44rfwwxrf62.jpg

What I am asking is what label or category would you classify/ identify me with? I do know labels are not good as they can be negative and close-minded. I wish clarification so it may help me improve and get an understanding of what I should do.
It has taken me years to finally post something. I am ashamed and embarrassed to show pictures of my unfit body online.

(I wish to lose 7 to 9 kg. I understand most people would think I am strange and want to be anorexic but that is not the case. I am just really short so that is why my weight looks smaller compared to an average human female. )

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,430 Member
    What's your BMI?

And I agree with the others ... exercise.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Another to recommend strength training. You just look like a healthy weight but without definition. Strength training will give you some definition if that's what you want. It all depends on your preferred aesthetic. Some people like the look you have now.

And Bodyglide for the rub. Some people, no matter how slim, will experience rubbing.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,813 Member
    You look absolutely fine! You could do with some strength training to build some muscle but that's all. I don't know if it's a condolence, but there are very few women where thighs don't rub against another. For this not to happen you'd need to have a wide pelvis so that the legs are naturally wide apart. Mot normal women don't have this.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    You look great to me. Best not always dwell on body image though. If You are on a sensible diet and exercising you are on a good route. Take if from one whose been slim and fat. I never felt an iota different on the inside regardless of my weight. Slimming won't solve your low spirits. In fact lack of food can cause them. Make sure you are eating all the main vitamins and minerals. Loads of the food info on this app don't give a full breakdown. Try to find the ones that do.
    I'd definitely find a local group where you can chat with other slimmers.
    To check yourself against the average try this useful calculator http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx
    Good luck and take heart!
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    You're a healthy body weight, keeping in mind that you are very short. I suggest exercising more and you can easily look smaller. Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're the same weight but "muscular" (lifting heavy and doing light cardio 2-3 times a week). I suggest learn to lift and you'll get toned, even with very heavy weight. Don't focus on weight, focus on how you feel and how much energy you have. You're a healthy weight so there's no reason to lose weight, losing weight would be unhealthy. Leaning out and gaining muscle on the other hand will make you lean. You won't get "bulky" even with heavy lifting.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    :huh:
  • Katlover12
    Katlover12 Posts: 19 Member
    You sure don't look fat to me. Exercise some and eat better if you don't like your body right now.

Hello 85Cardinals. Thanks for replying and offering your suggestons. I still feel fat. I was thinking that words like chubby or fat can have their own meaning depending on the person. Yes, I should exercise and eat better to change my body.
    You don't look chubby or fat to me. If you want me to be honest, my suggestion would be to begin a strength training program. It will help give you the tighter appearance that I think you are seeking. I would not concentrate on losing weight though. I would eat at maintenance and lift heavy. Google new rules of lifting for women.

Hi Zoeysasha37, I appreciate your response to my post. I am happy you are honest, I see now I should do a strength training program. Yes I would like a tighter and toner body. Maybe if I gained muscle, then I wouldn't have as much loose skin. I wonder if lifting weights at home is a start or should I go to gym. I have gone to one once but didn't know how to use equipment.
    Pikashel wrote: »
    You look like a normal weight to me. I agree you should do strength training (like lifting weights, sit ups, thigh exercises, etc). I'm sure others can give better advice on what kind of strength training you can start with.

Thank you Pikashel for your advice. I can't seem to do sit ups, planks, and push ups on my own very well. I do try though. I like to do squats and lunges.
    Machka9 wrote: »
    What's your BMI?

And I agree with the others ... exercise.
    I do not know my BMI but someone has kindly done the calculations and said it is 21.1. I am not sure the accuracy of the BMI as I have heard it may not be good method to measure body mass with muscles and fat. I will exercise more. Thanks for your reply Machkva.
    lorrpb wrote: »
    You are right, a label is not going to help you. You know what you want to do, so just make a plan to get started! An MFP friend said, "If you do the work, your body will reward you." It's true!

I have been trying to make a plan and follow it. I must not be trying hard enough in certain areas like exercising. I have tried different eating methods but I saw little change. Also I have been able to lose weigh by eating very little. But I am learning losing weigh is not what I should do but strength lifting and exercising to build muscle. That is a good saying to go by. That friend sounds wise and inspiring. Thank you lorrpb. I will try harder.
    Another to recommend strength training. You just look like a healthy weight but without definition. Strength training will give you some definition if that's what you want. It all depends on your preferred aesthetic. Some people like the look you have now.

And Bodyglide for the rub. Some people, no matter how slim, will experience rubbing.

It is a good idea since many have mentioned it as well. I used to weigh and maintain 40.8kg a couple years ago. Somehow I gained 2kg and can't lose it. There is a girl I follow. She is 4 ft and 11 inches and weighs 78 pounds. I am 3 inches shorter and 16 pounds heavier than her. I look up to her because of many reasons. One reason is because we are of similar height and she inspires me.
    Good suggestion. I looked up bodyglide. I might try it sometime. My upper inner thighs rub often and I feel the fat on the back of knees rubbing as well. I am hoping I can reduce the rubbing and also form a thigh gap. >_<
  • Katlover12
    UncaToddly wrote: »
    You could tone up sure, and I think you would feel pretty good about the changes when you see them. Is it necessary to make you look good physically? For you..... not in my book. You look pretty good to me.

I just ran you through the BMI calculator at the National Institute of Health and they list BMI as:

Underweight = <18.5
    Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
    Overweight = 25–29.9
    Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

Your BMI computes to 21.1 so you are on the lower half of the normal range so you are doing fine. Losing the 7kg you were talking about would put you at a BMI of 17.7, losing 9 would put you at 16.6. Nothing I would shoot for to be honest. 5kg lost would put you at the bottom of the "Normal Rate" chart to give you an idea.

Like I said, from the pics you have shown and the way the numbers work... you are perfectly FINE. :)
    Yes, I would feel better when I can see changes. I did use BMI calculator online before. I don't feel it is the best way to measure body mass. Due to my short height, doesn't the BMI not work as well? Not many are this short so they don't have good standards for people around my height. I will aim for 5kg then instead of 9kg. Thank you for calculations and your knowledge.
    yirara wrote: »
    You look absolutely fine! You could do with some strength training to build some muscle but that's all. I don't know if it's a condolence, but there are very few women where thighs don't rub against another. For this not to happen you'd need to have a wide pelvis so that the legs are naturally wide apart. Mot normal women don't have this.

Thank you for your kind words. I do not feel fine. You make valid points like how I shouldn't not try to lose weigh but tone up. It hear it is true many have thighs rubbing against another. I wouldn't want wide pelvis as it would make me waddle like a duck likely and likely make it uncomfortable to walk and stuff. I get what you mean though.
    Normal weight human.
    Bad self image. You look fine.

Work on fitness and the self image - not on losing weight.
    Thanks for this suggestion. Maybe my weigh is normal for human but as for my weight it is not normal. I will try to work on self image and fitness. I think losing weight may help some.
    Vegplotter wrote: »
    You look great to me. Best not always dwell on body image though. If You are on a sensible diet and exercising you are on a good route. Take if from one whose been slim and fat. I never felt an iota different on the inside regardless of my weight. Slimming won't solve your low spirits. In fact lack of food can cause them. Make sure you are eating all the main vitamins and minerals. Loads of the food info on this app don't give a full breakdown. Try to find the ones that do.
    I'd definitely find a local group where you can chat with other slimmers.
    To check yourself against the average try this useful calculator http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx
    Good luck and take heart!

Thank you Vegplotter for your help. I need to stop thinking about my body image and more on being healthy and productive. I feel like I would feel better if I were skinny. I eat vegetables and some fruits occasionally. I try to eat little brown rice and carbohydrates. I also eat little meat as possible. I do eat beans and tofu for protein. I aim to eat around 1,200 calories a day (of course because of my size). I drink only water. I have to get more serious on exercising. I go out jogging two to three times a week.
    You're a healthy body weight, keeping in mind that you are very short. I suggest exercising more and you can easily look smaller. Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're the same weight but "muscular" (lifting heavy and doing light cardio 2-3 times a week). I suggest learn to lift and you'll get toned, even with very heavy weight. Don't focus on weight, focus on how you feel and how much energy you have. You're a healthy weight so there's no reason to lose weight, losing weight would be unhealthy. Leaning out and gaining muscle on the other hand will make you lean. You won't get "bulky" even with heavy lifting.

I don't think I will grow any taller. Yes, muscle does weigh more than fat. I am weak so I feel I have more fat on my body than muscles. I will try lifting weights to gain muscles and lean out than trying to lose weight. I would have to do a lot of weight lifting to get bulky I heard. Thank you for your advice Chelsea.
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    You don't look chubby or fat to me. If you want me to be honest, my suggestion would be to begin a strength training program. It will help give you the tighter appearance that I think you are seeking. I would not concentrate on losing weight though. I would eat at maintenance and lift heavy. Google new rules of lifting for women.

This.

I would also incorporate some form of cardio as well.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound the world around. Muscle takes up less real estate than fat. Weight training will seriously help you. Gaining muscle will help to increase your metabolism and give you a true sense of empowerment.
  • Katlover12
    I am sorry for spamming my own post. I wish I could edit my first post. I should have included numbers and the circumference of my body than my pictures. I stupidly thought of that today as I read the replies from you guys. I appreciate all your feedback and suggestions. I will think seriously about them and try some weight lifting.

Here are more important info that may help people see what I am asking and talking about.
    These the circumferences(distance around) a few body parts:
    Inner arm = 30cm /12 in
    Inner thigh = 50cm /19 in
    Smaller thigh = 22.8 cm/ 9in
    Stomach is 73.6cm or 29 in
  • Katlover12
    Nachise wrote: »
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound the world around. Muscle takes up less real estate than fat. Weight training will seriously help you. Gaining muscle will help to increase your metabolism and give you a true sense of empowerment.

Hello Nachise. I didn't know muscle weigh about the same as fat. So it would mean I should change my muscle and fat ratio on my body. Anyone can do weight training even someone small? I wonder if I would be allowed in gym like the YMCA in my area. Everyone looks like an adult and normal average human. I am also scared of people seeing me working out.. D: I have been exercising in my room with DVDs and videos online.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    What would we "label" you.

Labels are for soup cans dear. Medically, I am :labeled: obese right now. But I am a woman who is a hottie, and is trying to be healthier, and hopefully wear the clothes I like, that don't come in my size.

You are a woman. You are beautiful. You are a person who has the ability to change something you don't like, but should also be happy and blessed with who you are at this very minute.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited May 2016
    @Katlover12, first of all, I suggest you talk with a counselor about your body image issues. :)

Secondly, I suggest a body re-composition, which will require eating at maintenance or a slight surplus and engage in a good progressive weight lifting program. In the end, the number on the scale might end up being more, but you will be smaller.

The New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women is excellent. I started out with that, and went on to do 5 x 5, and now have designed my own, and I have seen amazing changes in my body.

Here are some discussions:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1431786/female-body-recomposition
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1385256/advice-for-body-recomposition-ladies

Good luck!