another 5×5 question

Options
mitsimr
mitsimr Posts: 194 Member
I am starting SL on wensday. While I want to get stronger and shape my body I also want to do fun things like run 5ks and such. He warns that too much cardio or training for races can ruin your legs for squats and DLs. Is there any way around this?

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I did a 5k to 10 k training program while doing stronglifts and had no issues with either lifting or running
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    At 2 weeks in I am still doing 90 min of cardio on my non lifting days and progressing my squat weights. I am taking just one active rest day/week so far. Listen to your body, do what feels good.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    mitsimr wrote: »
    He warns that too much cardio or training for races can ruin your legs for squats and DLs. Is there any way around this?

If by "he" you mean Mehdi, you're better off following the routine as prescribed and ignoring everything else he says. He's known as something of a blowhard clown in fitness/lifting circles. And comments like the one you cite is one reason why.

Running 5ks isn't going to affect your squats, and isn't going to ruin your legs. Hell, running multiple marathons per year isn't going to "ruin your legs." Otherwise people wouldn't be able to do it for decades on end. Running is good. Squatting is good. Deadlifting is good. Doing all of them is great.

Mehdi hates cardio and worships squatting, because that's how he makes his money.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    At an intermediate+ level, pure strength training and endurance training can compete and pursuit of maximal gains in both in the same training block will end up with them interfering and you getting marginal gains in each.

For a beginner? No. You can basically do almost any kind of structured training and get a training effect.
  • seven3
    seven3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Mehdi has designed an effective program and an excellent app, and I'll give him credit for that, but he has no credentials and I would take his advice about cardio training with a grain or two of salt. I've been mixing Stronglifts with cycling and running for a couple of years, and as long as I give my legs enough recovery it isn't an issue.