Why I love running

Options
Well, one of many reasons. :smiley:

The cal burn!

Sitting here eating four mini donuts, having already had a bowl of cereal (pre-run) and scrambled eggs on toast (post-run). Having cheesy crumpets for lunch and BBQed burgers for dinner (in baps with a pile of salad). Glass of wine and then homegrown rhubarb with custard for dessert.

And I've still got 98 cals left (though I'll probably save them for tomorrow as I won't do much exercise). :smiley:

Replies

• justjennnnn
    justjennnnn Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You go girl ! :D
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    I love it 10miles tomorrow
  • micromouse
    micromouse Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running. Maybe I still do, I'm not sure. But sometimes I look forward to it, it's weird and I think I might be going a little crazy. So I pay attention when someone says they love running and try to find out if maybe they have the key to unlock the mystery. I mean running is a chore, riding a bike is fun, but you're right: an hour of running is like a leisurely day on the bike.

Strange I find the opposite Its a chore to get the bike out, where running is find shorts and T, grap trainers and off I go.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Been running for 18 months, now on a steady three runs a week - 10k on Saturday and a couple of 5k's mid-week. Not aiming to set any records - I used to run years back but stopped due to a foot injury. Keeping the pace high enough to give a good burn but not pushing the training hard.

Love love love running, it's an amazing buzz. But do also enjoy the amount you can eat on a 10k day. :)

I also cycle, play table tennis and shoot archery but they're less intensive. Though 10k today plus an hour of table tennis equals 1,000 cals on top of my basic 1,700.

Nothing wrong with the Blerch. I have this mug on my desk at work:

https://supermug.co.uk/products/i-like-to-run-because-its-good-for-me-and-also-i-like-to-eat-and-drink-a-lot

Been in maintenance at goal weight for a year so comfortable with eating back exercise cals. :smiley:

Have you ever thought about switching to TDEE? I run similar amount as you &am considering switching but Im almost obsessed with the loads of extra calories i can use during the week if I keep the regular formula
  • mdscott75
    mdscott75 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love running, especially if I can run away from the roads and pavements of town. As well as good exercise it is great switch off time for me. Just focus on my breathing and running.
  • meghanttu08
    meghanttu08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was in middle school and had to be on cross country. Hated it...didn't like to run at all. Now, I'm excited to get up at 4-5 am on weekends, meet friends, and run several miles! I must be crazy!
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I am jealous of all who love running, like most of you. I started running at 40 and am now 51. Running is the core of my fitness plan, and I throw in some elliptical and strength training each week, too. I have done a few half marathons and will run at fundraising events or fitness days at work. But I really don't enjoy it that much. I wish I did. Certainly good shoes, great tunes and pretty scenery (I run along the St Lawrence River in lovely Quebec when weather is decent) help. I also log a lot of miles as I watch the news on my treadmill in winter.

I run because it's a great calorie burn and I feel proud at the end, but I have never once had that runner's high. It is always a chore to get out. I wish I could feel like you all do. I'll keep doing it, though. Sigh.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Curious how old most of you are. I love the idea of running but not the actuality so much. I am 61. I see two of you in your early 50's.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    38. Started running last summer; started running in earnest this spring. I came from a cycling background (still mostly bike for exercise) and run a few miles at 9:00 to 9:30 a couple times a week.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, I like how when I run or walk loads even then I know I can eat pretty much whatever I want. That's why I always have my steps averaging around 18k/day as that means my TDEE is 2300. Sweet! (especially when I'm only 5ft 2"/ 46yrs so being active allows me to eat loads more)