Hard work not paying off

Options

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    jlkcmk wrote: »
    Don't compare yourself to others. Especially not to someone of another gender. Men typically lose faster and build more muscles than women, because of their higher levels of testosterone. But men also need to have a lower fat% to be healthy, so it evens out. Don't be jealous.

Please don't "kill yourself". You don't have to, and shouldn't, exhaust yourself or eat a boring diet. Move more and eat food you like in appropriate portions. That's what it takes. It also takes a long, long time. So it's important that you like what you're doing, if you want to get noticeable results. One week won't make much difference for your weight. How much you can lose per week, depends on how much you have to lose. With 40 pounds to lose they would come off at 1.5 per week at this stage. Later it will be slower. Weight also fluctuates independently from fat loss/gain, so you need lots of data points over a long time to see the trend.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. :) Its a huge change for me and I struggle with it everyday. I went from pizza & snacks to fish & broccoli :) its torture in the beginning lol

Your husband is a man, likely taller and heavier than you are, and as you said he is more active. Eating the same quantities would result in more weight loss for him than you because he has a bigger more muscular body to fuel. If anything, you are actually doing better than your husband. Losses beyond 1% of your body weight a week are not healthy.

Not much to add to the above post regarding weight fluctuations and portions except that by torturing yourself you are setting yourself up for failure. You may need close to a year to lose all of your desired weight, so the easier you make it for yourself the better. Count your calories as accurately as possible and trust the process. What exactly is making this a struggle? Are you feeling hungry all the time? Are you not enjoying your food choices? Are you being tempted by other choices? Because each of these can be tackled in a way to make the dieting process easier and less stressful.

The always being hungry is the only tortuous part. I eat salad for lunch and not even an hour later I'm hungry again. If I could eat and be filled up then it wouldn't be so challenging :smile:

Have you actually set up your profile? Count calories and enjoy some real food. You will lose.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Don't compare yourself to others. Especially not to someone of another gender. Men typically lose faster and build more muscles than women, because of their higher levels of testosterone. But men also need to have a lower fat% to be healthy, so it evens out. Don't be jealous.

Please don't "kill yourself". You don't have to, and shouldn't, exhaust yourself or eat a boring diet. Move more and eat food you like in appropriate portions. That's what it takes. It also takes a long, long time. So it's important that you like what you're doing, if you want to get noticeable results. One week won't make much difference for your weight. How much you can lose per week, depends on how much you have to lose. With 40 pounds to lose they would come off at 1.5 per week at this stage. Later it will be slower. Weight also fluctuates independently from fat loss/gain, so you need lots of data points over a long time to see the trend.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. :) Its a huge change for me and I struggle with it everyday. I went from pizza & snacks to fish & broccoli :) its torture in the beginning lol

Your husband is a man, likely taller and heavier than you are, and as you said he is more active. Eating the same quantities would result in more weight loss for him than you because he has a bigger more muscular body to fuel. If anything, you are actually doing better than your husband. Losses beyond 1% of your body weight a week are not healthy.

Not much to add to the above post regarding weight fluctuations and portions except that by torturing yourself you are setting yourself up for failure. You may need close to a year to lose all of your desired weight, so the easier you make it for yourself the better. Count your calories as accurately as possible and trust the process. What exactly is making this a struggle? Are you feeling hungry all the time? Are you not enjoying your food choices? Are you being tempted by other choices? Because each of these can be tackled in a way to make the dieting process easier and less stressful.

The always being hungry is the only tortuous part. I eat salad for lunch and not even an hour later I'm hungry again. If I could eat and be filled up then it wouldn't be so challenging :smile:

Have you actually set up your profile? Count calories and enjoy some real food. You will lose.

Yes, I've been logging in every single thing I ingest into the app. :) its very helpful! The first week is always the toughest I've heard so I'm just trying to adapt to the change. :) I ended up cheating last night with a slice of pepperoni pizza and its crazy because all week I thought I wanted it but afterwards, I felt guilty and my body felt different. I'm glad I caved because it made me realize I don't want that food anymore lol

Counting calories/tracking intake and just eating food you like means that you're not "on a diet" and cheating becomes meaningless! You can eat anything you want, just log it, and aim to hit your goal. And you decide what you want. You can ask yourself some questions to determine that - is this something I like, and am I hungry? Will it satisfy me or will I be ravenous afterwards? Can I "afford it" calorie wise, or is it worth going over today just because it's sooo good and a year till next opportunity? Do I eat it just because it's there/it's Friday/my friends eat it/I think someone will be disappointed if I don't accept it/it will be thrown away if nobody eats it? You're not supposed to feel guilty after you eat, work on that, too.
  • MrsQuinones132
    MrsQuinones132 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The thing to remember is slow and steady, it shouldn't be torture. I think we all struggle in the begining to get a hold of what we can and can't eat or in what portions we should have them. More often then not I manage to have a treat almost daily and still hit my calorie goal but I plan ahead and make better choices more often then not. The scale won't always work in your favor, especially if your a women so use other things to measure your progress, how many days you were under the calorie count, how many work outs in completed in a week, how many inches you lost, how your clothes fits, or simply if you feel your looking better and I there will be a day you step on that scale and you'll be proud of yourself for not giving up. Use small triumphs to fuel your motivation. Good luck!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Eating a piece of pizza is NOT cheating!!! Please stop thinking of food this way!
  • jlkcmk
    jlkcmk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Well my husband considers it a cheat food lol we're both on a 1000 calorie/day plan. I was at my goal until I had the pizza which is mainly carbs and we're really trying to stay away from them. When I logged it into myfitnesspal it was over 1300 calories. :( definitely a big cheat lol
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Well my husband considers it a cheat food lol we're both on a 1000 calorie/day plan. I was at my goal until I had the pizza which is mainly carbs and we're really trying to stay away from them. When I logged it into myfitnesspal it was over 1300 calories. :( definitely a big cheat lol

You should probably work out how many calories your body actually needs according to your height, weight, and age. Many calculators online (including one here).
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    @jlkcmk if you are craving pizza, try these. :) No real substitute for pizza, but sometimes when I want pizza or pasta, it's really the cheese and tomato I'm craving more than the crust or the spaghetti.

http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a43638/mini-zucchini-pizzas-recipe/

You will have to watch how much cheese you put on as that can pack on the calories pretty quickly. I sadly don't have nutrition info figured out for them. :/
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Try more lean protein and healthy fats and fiber to fill you up. For a treat I like a serving of red raspberries (140g) and some Oikos Greek Yogurt in Banana Cream! Yum-my!!! I also take my Quest salted caramel protein powder and make it with ice and unsweetened soy milk and no water and it's like ice cream--I need to eat it with a spoon. Coco Polo and Lily's have chocolate sweetened with stevia so it has all the chocolate with fewer calories.

It's only been a week. Give yourself a chance to experiment and find what works for you. Don't cut out foods you live and don't eat food that doesn't appeal. It might lead to a binge.

It takes time, but it's worth it because then you have life solutions. Be proud of yourself for committing and getting started and now seeking help to improve! We've all been there--that's why we're here for each other! It's a marathon, not a sprint. You can do this--REALLY! :smiley:
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You have to have a minimum of 1,200 calories & your husband a minimum of 1,500 calories (before exercise, for the both of you), otherwise your bodies'll cannibalize muscle including your hearts; which'll result in heart failure & either a need for transplants or death.
    105248 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN BE HEALTHY BY EATING HEALTHY, IT IS A LIFESTYLE YOU CAN PASS TO YOUR CHILDREN.
  • jlkcmk
    jlkcmk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just realized what your problem is and you're really hurting yourself bad and so is your husband. 1000 calories a day is unrealistic. You're starving yourself. What you are you're on a diet you're looking for instant gratification. It probably took you years to put on all that weight and now you're looking for some magic pill to lose it as fast as you can. With that mentality you're going to fail.

My advice to you is plug in all your information into the mfp database to determine how many calories you need to eat. In the past five months I've dropped close to 60 pounds and I've eaten Pizza,beer and deep fried barbecued spare ribs. It's a simple matter of calories in calories out.

When I read some of these posts and I heard your husband say pizza is a cheat it pisses me off. There's no such thing as a cheat food pizza is good. I love my pizza with sausage and pepperoni.

Please don't look at this as a diet. You're on a diet right now at a thousand calories. You're torturing yourself you're making yourself miserable and you're eventually going to fail and so is your husband. You have to look at this as a lifestyle change educate yourself and use this app as an educational tool. I've enjoyed the past 5 months I can't say I've been miserable at all. I wish you much success

1,000 cal/day may be too low but I'm certainty not looking for some magic pill to take the weight off. I have realistic goals and expectations and was just expressing the difficulty I was experiencing adjusting to the change that's all. I've lost 3lbs since last Sunday and I'm content with that. I am excited to get to my end result however there's no denying that :)