Lifting and weight gain?

2»

Replies

• a_hounslow09
    a_hounslow09 Posts: 36 Member
    edited May 2016
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    You look great but you didn't gain 10 lbs of muscle in 6 months.

There's no doubt that she did an outstanding job losing bodyfat, the difference in BF% is very noticeable and looks great. Undoubtedly sub 20% in the second pictures, maybe even down around 17%'ish. I'm guessing that she was measuring her fat loss/muscle gain using a BIA device, which would account for the erroneous figure. My hat is off to her for a great transformation, but there's not 10+ additional pounds of muscle there.

I was ~17-18%

So you agree I lost fat? Keeping in mind that I'm over 5'9" tall how many lbs of body fat would you estimate I lost?

Simple math... I weighed 134... Lost fat, weighed 138-140... That's 4-6lbs PLUS however much fat I lost... So if I lost 5lbs of fat (I think it was probably more) then I gained 9-11 lbs of muscle.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    @a_hounslow09 I think you look great too, just...10 lbs is a lot of muscle. I'm actually curious where your calories were for this transformation? Maintenance?
  • a_hounslow09
    @a_hounslow09 I think you look great too, just...10 lbs is a lot of muscle. I'm actually curious where your calories were for this transformation? Maintenance?

I don't know, I never counted calories till 3 days ago lol
  • arditarose

I don't know, I never counted calories till 3 days ago lol

:p Amazing. I just stopped counting calories and I hope I have results like yours lol
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

There's no doubt that she did an outstanding job losing bodyfat, the difference in BF% is very noticeable and looks great. Undoubtedly sub 20% in the second pictures, maybe even down around 17%'ish. I'm guessing that she was measuring her fat loss/muscle gain using a BIA device, which would account for the erroneous figure. My hat is off to her for a great transformation, but there's not 10+ additional pounds of muscle there.

I was ~17-18%

So you agree I lost fat? Keeping in mind that I'm over 5'9" tall how many lbs of body fat would you estimate I lost?

Simple math... I weighed 134... Lost fat, weighed 138-140... That's 4-6lbs PLUS however much fat I lost... So if I lost 5lbs of fat (I think it was probably more) then I gained 9-11 lbs of muscle.

how do you measure your BF? Dexa scan? or a home scale? or calipers?

I think you look great too but I also know how hard it is for people esp women to gain muscle. Women I believe gain on average 1lb of muscle a month on a bulk...so to gain 10 it would almost take a year.

Build strength is different than building muscle...I went from a 40lb squat to a 180 lb squat in 6 months as well...just a progressive load lifting program will do that if you are diligent.
  • a_hounslow09
    edited May 2016
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I was ~17-18%

I think you look great too but I also know how hard it is for people esp women to gain muscle. Women I believe gain on average 1lb of muscle a month on a bulk...so to gain 10 it would almost take a year.

Build strength is different than building muscle...I went from a 40lb squat to a 180 lb squat in 6 months as well...just a progressive load lifting program will do that if you are diligent.

You all can believe what you want, not everyone is the same, the AVERAGE woman might AVERAGE a pound a month, I'm also 6" taller than average, I had a history in college as a serious athlete so probably better muscle memory than average, I like to think I push myself more than average. So yeah, I believe I gained at least 1.5 a month and even my conservative #s confirm that.
  • SezxyStef

I was ~17-18%

You all can believe what you want, not everyone is the same, the AVERAGE woman might AVERAGE a pound a month, I'm also 6" taller than average, I had a history in college as a serious athlete so probably better muscle memory than average, I like to think I push myself more than average. So yeah, I believe I gained at least 1.5 a month and even my conservative #s confirm that.

@a_hounslow09 but no mention of how you measure BF%....

• maxxeckert
    maxxeckert Posts: 8 Member
    Maximum muscle gain is approximately 2.5lbs every month tops. If you are gaining more weight than this it is fat or water retention. If you are gaining weight, you are in a caloric surplus regardless, meaning you are eating more than you are using every day.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    I would find a means of estimating my body fat percentage and track that.
  • a_hounslow09

I was ~17-18%

Calipers, not that it even matters because visually it's obvious.
  • arditarose
    I think we are derailing OPs thread a bit. I look forward to hearing/seeing more from @a_hounslow09 though. We all have things to learn from each other.
  • SezxyStef

I was ~17-18%

nuff said for me.

*raises eyebrows*
  • a_hounslow09

I was ~17-18%

nuff said for me.

*raises eyebrows*

Your jealousy is showing
  • SezxyStef

I was ~17-18%

nuff said for me.

*raises eyebrows*

Your jealousy is showing

nope....no jealousy just dubious of your claims.

Not totally dismissing them but very dubious.

I do find your last post exceptionally funny tho. Considering you've been on MFP for 3 days...10 years younger so until you have reached the point in life of maturity I have I will dismiss it, this time.
  • a_hounslow09

I was ~17-18%

nuff said for me.

*raises eyebrows*

Your jealousy is showing

nope....no jealousy just dubious of your claims.

Not totally dismissing them but very dubious.

I do find your last post exceptionally funny tho. Considering you've been on MFP for 3 days...10 years younger so until you have reached the point in life of maturity I have I will dismiss it, this time.

Sorry but having everyone insisting I didn't do what I know I did is getting old.

And "nuff said for me" *raises eyebrows* is mature? Seems pretty condescending to me.
  • a_hounslow09
    And how do you know my age?
  • jenspadafora
    jenspadafora Posts: 13 Member
    Hey everyone!
    I'm new to weight lifting and honestly am pretty clueless. Would love some friends for help&encouragement!
  • SezxyStef

Hey everyone!
    I'm new to weight lifting and honestly am pretty clueless. Would love some friends for help&encouragement!

Hey when I started lifting again after joining here I found this group great.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Great place for questions and encouragement and you get great info on all things lifting.

another group for info
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

hope this helps you on your way to lifting heavy...feel free to pm me as well.