Are All Calorie Sources the Same?

Options
RichardD83
RichardD83 Posts: 17 Member
We've probably all seen 'Sugar the bitter truth' and so you know how the body treats sugar and alcohol in the same way, as a poison. And they both cause direct weight gain.

Why doesn't my fitness pal do the same?

I've been hitting 2000 calories a day but not lost weight. I thought I could trust my fitness pal. Why doesn't it take into account the glycemic index. We all know how that works I'm sure. If I'm dumping lots of sugar in my blood it will be laid down as fat. So a calorie is not just a calorie. Shouldn't my fitness pal take this into account?

I'm not sure I can trust this app

Replies

• RichardD83
    Options
    If you are in a deficit you will lose weight. If you are dumping lots of sugar in your system but are still a deficit you lose weight. It can't be laid down as fat because the body cannot conjure energy from thin air. Glycemic index has no bearing on weight loss if calories are kept constant. There is so much misinformation

If there is too much sugar in your blood stream doesn't insulin convert it to fat? Isn't this the based for diabetes?
  • RichardD83
    Options
    What about 'Sugar the bitter truth'? Doesn't that explain why so many people are obese now? And how sugar works in the body?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    How well are you logging?
    How active are you?
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    RichardD83 wrote: »
    If you are in a deficit you will lose weight. If you are dumping lots of sugar in your system but are still a deficit you lose weight. It can't be laid down as fat because the body cannot conjure energy from thin air. Glycemic index has no bearing on weight loss if calories are kept constant. There is so much misinformation

If there is too much sugar in your blood stream doesn't insulin convert it to fat? Isn't this the based for diabetes?

Are you diabetic? If so, speak to your doctor about an appropriate diet. If you want to read more about diabetes then go here
    https://www.diabetes.org.uk/
    or here
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Diabetes/Pages/Diabetes.aspx

My (basic) understanding of diabetes is in type 1, the pancreas doesn't produce insulin and in type 2 you don't produce enough. Insulin doesn't convert sugar into fat. From my understanding it helps turn glucose into usable energy. There's always glucose in your blood. Hence why both type 1 and type 2 diabetes are conditions that need to be treated.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    What about 'Sugar the bitter truth'? Doesn't that explain why so many people are obese now? And how sugar works in the body?

Here's a great writeup about Sugar the Bitter Truth by Alan Aragon (a well-known, widely respected source on nutrition and training), complete with plenty of research references at the end: http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    We've probably all seen 'Sugar the bitter truth' and so you know how the body treats sugar and alcohol in the same way, as a poison. And they both cause direct weight gain.

Why doesn't my fitness pal do the same?

I've been hitting 2000 calories a day but not lost weight. I thought I could trust my fitness pal. Why doesn't it take into account the glycemic index. We all know how that works I'm sure. If I'm dumping lots of sugar in my blood it will be laid down as fat. So a calorie is not just a calorie. Shouldn't my fitness pal take this into account?

I'm not sure I can trust this app

You trust a nonsense documentary full of misinformation but can't trust this app. You have issues beyond health bro

So Much this.