Dieting on a budget

Options
Hi.
I am about to start my diet this week. I have a very small budget to spend on food.
please can you recommend some cheap but healthy meals please.
Thank you!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    www.budgetbytes.com
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Very often home cooking is cheaper than prepared foods, which is a big savings right there.

Buy small amounts of fruits and vegetables you will eat in a short time to reduce wastage. Sturdier vegetables include cabbage and carrots.

Cheaper meals include chili, soups, and stews. Roast your own chicken or buy chicken thighs. Save time by cooking in bulk and package to use through the week.

Beans and lentils are inexpensive sources of protein. Learning to prepare from dry can save you a lot of money.

Carbs are usually cheaper, which include pasta, rice, and potatoes.

Oatmeal is a nutritious and filling breakfast.

www.budgetbytes.com
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Eggs, canned tuna, water, frozen vegetables, canned vegetables, fresh produce in season (grow your own if possible), oatmeal, hamburger, zoodles and marinara
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I live on eggs, tuna, canned chicken, lean lunch meats, avocado, broccoli, in season fresh fruits and vegetables (peaches are $0.97/lb at my local discount grocery store this week), rice, hummus...

I try to buy meat when it's on sale, even if I don't need it. ESPECIALLY meat that's marked down because it's about to expire. Then I freeze it all :). I make huge pots of lean turkey chili, turkey and onion burgers, pork tenderloin (sometimes $2 or so for a small one), big batches of meat balls...

If you have a local butcher shop, definitely check them out. Mine had rib eye steaks on for $3ish each (less than half price). Centre cut pork chops are less than $4 each for a very generous serving, and taste AMAZING (the fat was very easy to trim off).
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I generally try to watch your weekly grocery flyers while planning my meals for the week.

I also buy my meat when it's on sale or marked down and freeze it. I plan most of my meals around what is in my freezer.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    eggs, potato's are both cheap and easy.
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have a big family and we are on a budget. For our dinner meals I like to cook in bulk and freezes it. Yesterday I made enough cottage pie for 3 dinners. When I serve it up for my self I just serve less for me (what ever my calories count will allow)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Black eyed peas and rice, cabbage and potato soup. Eggs and pancakes, chili with beans, stuffed potatoes, tuna sandwiches, grits or oatmeal, hot dogs.
    Frozen and canned fruits and veggies.
    Peanuts.
  • MRbigGUYXXL
    MRbigGUYXXL Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    grow your own
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Tofu goes along way. My favorite is crispy tofu. Beans are a great source of protein very healthy and you can get a large bag of beans for a great price. Eggs also. Salads. A huge bag of apples.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I have a big family and we are on a budget. For our dinner meals I like to cook in bulk and freezes it. Yesterday I made enough cottage pie for 3 dinners. When I serve it up for my self I just serve less for me (what ever my calories count will allow)

I think your "Cottage Pie" is like our Sheperd's Pie:
    Ground beef with vegetables and mashed potatoes or biscuit dough on top:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/shepherds-pie-recipe2.html
  • rmullins16
    rmullins16 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Do you know how to cook your own beans? We have bags at our dollar store. I cook them and freeze them cause I love mexican food :)