Dieting/shopping on a budget

Options
Hello! So the closest stores I have is Walmart and aldis, I wanna stick to the basic foods like chicken, ground turkey, red potatoes veggies and eggs and all that what would be a good out look as a meal plan? How do you guys organize what you eat healthy through out the day/ what is your meal planning.

Replies

• 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Rice and beans are dirt cheap and make great sides, if you cook and season them up yourself. I like a chicken thigh, a baked potato, and some spicy rice myself.
  • lwoods0315
    lwoods0315 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Start first with what you have. I find I waste a lot if I don't. For example I have a pack of sandwich thins so I need to consider how to use them in my food plan when building my meals.
    Plan your meals in advance of going to the store and only buy what you need for them. You can binge on low cal stuff too if you have too much or too many options.
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Aldi has great vegies at a good price. Dollar for dollar I do better at Aldi than if I shopped at Walmart. The added bonus is getting in and out faster. Make a list of meals that you would like, make a shopping list from that. Use the grocery money you have. Keep your receipts and the next time you make your meal list and shopping list look at your receipts and see what things cost you. After a few weeks you will know how much everything is and what you can afford on your budget. When money was tight I fed a family of four on 60-70.00 a week. At Aldi I could get much more for my money. Good luck:)
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm on a budget too. I can get chicken breast, fish and other lean meats from the grocery store and it doesn't cost me a lot. On Sunday's I cook a lean roast and that's my lunch at work all week...that's about 2 dollars a lunch.

Also, whole wheat spaghetti is 1.50 and it's enough for seven meals...or 3.5 if you do 4 oz.

I've honestly saved A LOT more money since I started my diet than before
  • paigeg150
    paigeg150 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I switch up my fruits/veggies by what's on sale. If you have a produce junction in your area it's your best bet for a good price. Costco is great for cheap protein. I get a huge pack of extra lean chicken for $17-19.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Do you eat beans?
    If not, give them a try.
    Buy a Knorr package of red beans and rice.
    ^ That is how I got started eating beans.
    Now I can buy a pack add a can of red beans, add a can of tomatoes, and make extra brown rice to mix in. Cheap lunches for days.

Ditto: Eating at home is saving me a ton of money than before.
    And try the Aldi Bran Cereal. Fiber was my secret in staying full.
    (much cheaper than walmarts great value bran cereal)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Aldi is one of the best options IMO. One was just built near my house and I go there 3-4 times per week for produce.

• dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I often buy only the meat that is on sale (chicken or pork usually) and cook it up in a crock pot. We'll eat on that for days, mixing it up with different sides. One day with a baked potato and a veggie. The next day on a green salad. Make quesadillas another day. Pull it and put in bbq sauce on a bun. So on and so forth.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I support all the votes for Aldi! If you like fish they are hands down the best and cheapest place to buy it frozen. It's half (or more) the cost for wild caught than Kroger. I am not a fan of the grocery section at Wal-Mart. I find it quite overpriced
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You have to go to Aldi i love it i'm so sad we dont have them where i go to uni.
    I make a plan every Friday of what I will eat on each day of the next week ideally basing it on what food I already have. I then make a list of exactly what I need for each recipe.
    I get up early on Saturday and go shopping when the shop is quiet so i won't feel rushed and pickout all the food i need.
    As a student with basically no money I've found planning out exactly what I will eat for dinner each day has saved me so much money in buying things I likely wont use.
    I've also committed to having similar breakfast and lunches e.g. cereal and sandwhich each day because that keeps it cheap and easy.
    I also blog my meals with recipes so if you want ideas you can take a look http://skinnybitchblog.wordpress.com
  • sharondjs
    sharondjs Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    All great idea's above , I prepare in advance my lunches on the sunday , boil eggs , cut up vegies to crunch on for snacks carrot celery capsicum all bagged ready to go & i agree Rice and beans i add to my salads and meals at night :)