Fitness and mental health

Options
Hi, just looking for some advice about getting back onto the fitness wagon. I have social anxiety disorder and over the past 2 years my level of Fitness has dropped. I use to run 2-3 times a week and attended a yoga class. But now, leaving the house can be such a battle that I have ran in nearly year now. So any advice and support would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• Sarcasticks
    Sarcasticks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've found having a friend come with you can really help alleviate anxiety, especially when going to a class or the gym.

Having a person there you're comfortable with, even just for the first few times really helps you get comfortable in the new surroundings.

Wishing you luck and a healthy future.
  • justbetty9
    justbetty9 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've found having a friend come with you can really help alleviate anxiety, especially when going to a class or the gym.

Having a person there you're comfortable with, even just for the first few times really helps you get comfortable in the new surroundings.

Wishing you luck and a healthy future.

Thanks for your advice. My friend who I did yoga exercise with has just moved away..... So its trying to convince someone else to take it up :(

Take care

• ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Are you seeing a professional about your anxiety? In the meantime, maybe work on building your fitness confidence by doing some YouTube workouts or DVDs at home....I wish you the best in your journeys of physical and mental health!
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Find a counselor who can teach you cognitive therapy, i.e. doing activities that slowly get you acclimated to going outside without anxiety.
  • justbetty9
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses.
    Yes I have a psychotherapist, and am currently doing DBT and EMDR. Also on medication for it, which helps incredibly.
    However, this all said, the thought of going out still absolutely scares me.
    My husband and I started looking at running clubs near by, which although made me feel quite anxious it also made me feel excited!!!! So I'm gonna grab that feeling and mindfully go with it. :)
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Maybe consider some home workout programs for the time being. Take it slow when getting out. Do so gradually and over time the anxiety will lessen.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    justbetty9 wrote: »
    Hi, just looking for some advice about getting back onto the fitness wagon. I have social anxiety disorder and over the past 2 years my level of Fitness has dropped. I use to run 2-3 times a week and attended a yoga class. But now, leaving the house can be such a battle that I have ran in nearly year now. So any advice and support would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I had some short term but high level anxiety issues that turned out to be PTSD related, and was in the same boat that I was dealing with that while trying to get back to more fix and drop some weight.

For me, a bicycle was the perfect fix. Much easier to avoid contact with people as the speed made it easy to just give a wave and ride on by them, and not come across and being uptight, or have enough time overlap to make me uncomfortable either. Depending on my mood, I could either find routes less traveled, or as I got things more under control, those more traveled.

Between being out in the elements, the exercise, and the controlled rate of interaction being my option, it was a great overall therapy for me.
  • RebeccaMaunder
    RebeccaMaunder Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    For me I found my husband to be my bet workout buddy. When I was the most anxious he would suggest walks on trails. I love nature and there really wasn't people around. Where I live we have peer support groups and going to those also helped because people there became workout buddy's. If you have a dog I know that can and has helped some people with getting out of the house.
    When I was almost the point of agoraphobia my therapist suggested just getting outside standing for 5 minutes and then going back in, slowly working myself up to bring able to sit in a coffee shop. While my anxiety is not always perfect I've gotten to a place where I can go out now. One of my biggest helps these days is music. I put my headphones in and go. I hope this makes sense and helps. I hope your mental health lessens for you soon and you are able to get the break you need. It is not easy but remember to be gentle with yourself and take things moment by moment.
  • katelynlauzon89
    katelynlauzon89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to continue a yoga practice and would feel more comfortable at home I highly recommend " yoga with Adrienne" on YouTube. She has an excellent 30 day yoga camp that focuses on self talk and mental health. I found it really helped with my anxiety and depression.
  • justbetty9
    Options
    Once again, thank you all for such kind and encouraging words. Me and my hubby have started doing Yogaglo... Which is great. Really enjoying that. Also downloaded map my Fitness app which is really encouraging me to get out and go for walks. Walk lots with my little man. So not out on my own yet but I am beginning to feel like it's more possible.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    the people in my family who suffer from severe depression/anxiety get a lot out of cardio workouts.
    Running is great but maybe you need to get a treadmill or elliptical or bike or rower to workout at home until you can get yourself out.

And, we all believe that getting outdoors everyday is helpful, no matter what the weather. Even sitting on a balcony for a bit helps. Sunshine is best but here in the PNW that doesn't always happen but even if it is raining, it helps. And, eating well seems to help, too.

If you are walking, that is super and you should really pat yourself on the back. Dragging yourself out when you feel like carp is the hardest thing, but so good for you.

Hopefully your husband supports you on all this. We all try to practice these healthy lifestyle things and encourage each other to exercise, get out, eat smart. No matter what your brain chemistry, it makes us all feel better.
  • sadsongkrysy
    sadsongkrysy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I suffer from it as well, that's why I gained almost 70lbs in 2years, I couldn't leave my house, I just wanted to sit in bed and drink. But after I got pregnant I knew not only did I need to fix myself mentally but also physically so I can be a good example to my kid, and be able to take him to the park etc. My husband has beenthe most encouraging, he pushes me to go inside stores, to go for walks everyday, sometimes we jog but I get anxiety jogging in public so we go to the cemetery, it's usually empty, and we jog around that. Also doing a vigorous exercise routine (I'm doing p90x) helps a lot. It not only helps you feel more confident but your usually too tired to get anxiety, I like to workout before I have to go to the store or anywhere, it helps.