Afraid to start counting again

Options
I tried intuitive eating for about 2 months and have gained some weight. Its not too bad.. But I know if I don't stop this now then it can get ugly. The thing is.. I was pretty happy with not counting calories/macros. I would like to ask the pro's how they've kept from seeing food as numbers. Its the thing that made me stop counting and the thing that makes me afraid to try this again.

Replies

• MRbigGUYXXL
    MRbigGUYXXL Posts: 119 Member
    Options
  • LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    That can be tough, it's be easy to become obsessive about it. My way of staying sane and making sure I don't fall into unhealthy restrictions is to take time off from counting. I'm not talking about a cheat meal every week, but rather when I go on vacation for a few weeks a couple of times a year, I won't count any calories whatsoever. I won't binge but I'll eat what I feel like when I feel like it. It's just nice to be normal again and completely put calories / health out of my mind for a bit. Then when I return home, I go back to meticulously calculating and controlling my diet.
    I'd like to warn people that this method wouldn't work for everyone. I have no problem getting back into a routine and I don't mind putting on a few pounds on vacation because I realize 4 weeks later I'll be back to normal. However I wouldn't recommend this technique to those who struggle to control their eating patterns or to people who freak when they see the scale go up even half a pound.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this will help you....

I counted while I was losing, but once I had lost weight I slowly stopped counting and relied on portion sizes.
    I have been maintaining for about 6 years and just count for a couple of weeks twice a year to re establish my portions.

Start counting again just for a couple of weeks then go to portion sizes and see how that works. You may have to weigh for a couple of weeks after you have stopped counting just to reaffirm the portion you have served yourself.
    I am aware of the calories in food, but not to the extent that I worry about it. I know I don't get as large a serving of cheesecake as I do omelette.

Cheers, h.
  • letsgolindsay
    letsgolindsay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I just recently started my journey again. The reason I stopped the last time was this very reason.. I became too obsessive about counting.

I do have a feeling that everyone's relationship with "counting" and how they come to terms with it would be different for each person.... but I will keep this an eye on this thread to see if there is any tips/tricks that will help someone like me as well haha :pensive:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I tried intuitive eating for about 2 months and have gained some weight. Its not too bad.. But I know if I don't stop this now then it can get ugly. The thing is.. I was pretty happy with not counting calories/macros. I would like to ask the pro's how they've kept from seeing food as numbers. Its the thing that made me stop counting and the thing that makes me afraid to try this again.

Counting calories is just one of the many tools out there. I suggest simply doing whatever it takes to reach/maintain your weight management plan. The only thing required to lose weight is a calorie deficit, but how you get there is individual. I have never seen food as numbers, I see it just it all as food.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Show those numbers who's boss! You can only count on yourself, they don't care about you.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If you don't want to count calories then you have to be consistent with the type of meals you eat.

Snacking usually needs an eye kept on it as its very easy to forget we had a snack. I don't eat after 7pm for that very reason.

Also weighing in regularly really helps as if you see the trend going upwards you know you need to eat a bit less.

I haven't logged my meals in several months but I still have a rough estimate in my head of my daily calories. Its always good to be aware of how much we are eating. I still weigh things like potatoes/pasta/rice but eye ball everything else.

I'm finding even at maintenance I am losing the tiniest amount every other month so I know all is well and IF I were to keep on losing then I'd just eat a bit more (very happy to do that LOL)
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm in pretty much the same place. I hit my goal weight in early Jan 2016, kept weighing and logging everything with just a few breaks here & there, until May. Then I was only weighing and logging sporadically, and trying to eat intuitively instead. I've gained a few pounds above my goal weight, so I'm going to go back to weighing and logging everything again. Maintenance is harder than I thought it would be.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I do better when I count. But I found the following tactics worked to at least maintain without counting:

-IF (intermittent fasting) 16/8
    -eating as truly little as possible during the work day. The equivalent of maybe 500-600 calories before dinner. FOR ME, if I didn't indulge in a binge, it was hard to eat more than 1000 calories at dinner.
    -drink tea at night instead of snacks
    -two meals (of about 1000, just based on that being the max of a reasonable meal for me) per day on the weekend
    -no booze
    -vegan/vegetarian whole foods 90% of the time

^^maintained weight for about 2 years like this without counting^^. BUT once I started lifting weights, my hunger increased and a smoking ban in bars went into effect, so i started drinking beer again. Long story short, for me, I have to have a lot of "rules" if I want to not track my calorie counts. By tracking calories, I can feel confident that my bowl of ice cream or whatever fits into my overall calories for the day. So for me, tracking calories is "easier" because I can eat whatever I want (just in measured quantities).
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I ballpark my counts. I do my best to overestimate my calories in and underestimate my calories burned, I add the highest calorie version of whatever I ate when I am uncertain.

I measured for a while to learn what portions looked like, some were shocking! I will probably keep logging like this for as long as it works for me. I've lost 2 pounds a week consistently since I started.

I also do what the post above said and follow IF (because I hate breakfast) and save most of my calories for the evening.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. The only method of dieting that has ever given me real results has been calorie counting. I'm hoping this time around it works and I'm able to do it in a healthy way. We'll see!
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I am new @ 14 days but bought a neat digital scale and find this is fun, like a game - a healthy life changing game.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I've thought a lot about this. One of the recurring themes on these boards is "sustainable lifestyle." I don't know if I'm going to want to be weighing my foods for the rest of my life. On the flip side, someone up there said they like numbers... I look at my calories as a budget. I have a certain daily "income" (calorie goal), which for me is 1509 calories per day. Some expenses (BMR/rent) are non-negotiable. Some, I have to think about if I really want that Big Mac/new outfit or if I'd rather "spend" on BBQ ribs/pedicure. I can't always afford both. Or... I can go for a run (let's say pick up some cash babysitring my neighbor's kids) and have more wiggle room in my budget.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I tried intuitive eating for about 2 months and have gained some weight.

:/
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    What about just logging? Not necessarily counting calories, but writing down the food you eat to keep a record and see if you are maybe eating a little more than you think you are.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ekim2016 wrote: »
    I am new @ 14 days but bought a neat digital scale and find this is fun, like a game - a healthy life changing game.

That's exactly how I view it, like a game. Like a somewhat tedious game at times, but still. It does work. Sometimes now I weigh stuff just for the fun of it!

• missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I wish I could do intuitive eating, but my appetite cannot be trusted.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    I wish I could do intuitive eating, but my appetite cannot be trusted.

Mine either :sad:

• proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I could have wrote your post! This was totally me! I reached goal weight about 3 years ago, and transitioned to maintenance. It was hard. I was very obsessive about the numbers. I lost more weight as I increased my calorie intake. Eventually I realized that I had to stop, to trust myself with all that I had learned in my weightloss journey. My thought was that if I keep moving (exercise) I will be ok. Things were going great for a log time. Then we had a big family move, to a much larger city, more takeout foods, restaurants etc. I was moving less, and voila, 10lbs put on, seemed like overnight. Now I am back on the wagon, trying to take control before I lose myself and its harder it seems this time around. Its been about 50 days and I am finding myself already worrying about the numbers. I hate it. I am an all or nothing kinda person, I cannot just log some days, if I am gonna log I am gonna log every day.