treadmill vs walking or running on a road

Options
not just for the calories burn , i just want to get fitter which would be best thanks

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I think outside will get you fitter. When I am In the park am dealing with all types of weather which makes it harder to run, esp the wind.
  • MRbigGUYXXL
    MRbigGUYXXL Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    that was kinda my thinking
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Do the one you enjoy the most and are likelier to do more consistently. They aren't different enough that you should choose one over the other for fitness. Personally, the outdoors is my choice. But I still use the dreadmill every once in while.
  • MRbigGUYXXL
    Options
    so the treadmill would just be kinda for fitness ?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The one you enjoy would be the best. Both can get you equally fit. I like the treadmill because it's convenient and I can space out without having to pay attention to cars, people, loose rocks..etc.
  • MRbigGUYXXL
    Options
    i suppose not getting run over is all most worth doing it inside haha
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    so the treadmill would just be kinda for fitness ?

I'm not sure what you are asking here.

In terms of general fitness the treadmill can be fine. It can be a great tool to avoid certain inconveniences like weather, public spaces if you are bothered by that. Is it less effective than walking outside? That depends - on a treadmill you aren't using the inertia of your weight the same way - so yes, it is slightly less effective, but one can also set the incline and speed in ways that will make you work harder than a stroll around the block. In real world terms, what matters most is consistent use. Do the thing that will get you to do it several times a week. Unless you are training for racing what matters most for someone starting out is to create the habit. Just do it.

If two months into daily walking or 3-4 sessions of running you are wondering which one you should focus more on - then the answer is going to be ... what you enjoy more. If you have specific goals about being able to run up hills, etc. get out more.

But doing it is more important than where you do it.

I live in a pretty flat area - if I can't get a hill workout - the treadmill and stairmaster are better tools than the flat path in the forest for that type of workout to address specific climbing goals. So I use it for that. But if it is all I do ... well, I'd give up. I generally dislike running indoors.
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    In terms of cardio vascular fitness, I don't believe there's a lot in it.

The treadmill is more flat than running outside and is slightly sprung so is easier on your joints.

However the flip-side of that is outdoor running is a slightly better core work-out and builds your balance (due to the uneven surface).

In any case walking is better than not walking and running is better than not running, regardless of where you do it. I find that outdoor runs pass more quickly as the scenery distracts me.

Good luck!
  • Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Omg i cant stand tredmills the give me anxiety walking is fun you get to say hi to other walkers
  • AndrewD315
    AndrewD315 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    As far as "getting fitter" treadmill gives you control of speed and incline, so results can be much more regular, but that being said it can bore you out of your mind compared to the road.
  • jcow84
    jcow84 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I would watch your form on the treadmill as it's easier to have poor form on the machine. For example, you're not meant to land on your heel when running, but oftentimes I see people on treadmills doing that. You are also not using it efficiently if you hang on to the rails while walking or running.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I love to get outdoors, but admittedly I am a wimp when it comes to humidity and bugs. For me the treadmill will help me stay consistent so I use it more. I make sure to use programs that vary the incline and speed. I may watch t.v. but often like to play some good, driving music to keep me motivated.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I find running outside is easier, you can naturally vary your pace where on the treadmill you're at one pace and that's it. I've done 5k's at an 8:30/mile pace outside but struggle with a steady 10 min/mile pace on the treadmill.
    jcow84 wrote: »
    I would watch your form on the treadmill as it's easier to have poor form on the machine. For example, you're not meant to land on your heel when running, but oftentimes I see people on treadmills doing that. You are also not using it efficiently if you hang on to the rails while walking or running.

There is nothing wrong with heel striking, the best form for you is however you naturally run. I'll agree that holding on to the rails is not good.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    FitFroglet wrote: »

In any case walking is better than not walking and running is better than not running, regardless of where you do it. I find that outdoor runs pass more quickly as the scenery distracts me.

Good luck!

This is why I walk outside. I love the scenery, meeting people (and petting every dog I come across (yes, I always ask the owner first)). I don't bring my music along either because I love to listen to the noises and feel connected to a "community" because I can hear dogs barking; people calling their kids or dogs, washing cars, grilling out, etc; smell the cooking meat; hear the birds; etc.

Treadmills and indoor tracks are boring. I do have an indoor track I can walk on when the weather is dangerous, but otherwise I just dress for the heat, cold, rain, snow, whatever and get out.

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    A treadmill can be a vital part of fitness for those of us who live in a climate where it is 100˚+ degrees for nearly half the year. Sure, I much prefer being outside in the park or on my bike, but having that treadmill parked right in my house has made a difference.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I run on a treadmill for a couple of reasons. I live in the desert and it's usually either waaaay to hot or way to cold to run on the street. My community is rural and sidewalks, curbs and shoulders are unknown. I can watch Hulu or Netflix while running and, most of all, I must run at a certain speed to keep up. Left to myself I would be lazy and slow way down, burning fewer calories.

ETA: OP, I agree with those that have said whatever you will do consistently is the best fitness program.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    jcow84 wrote: »

I don't find this at all.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I remember my first few long runs I would always get a strong urge to go at some point during the run. I can't imagine how it would have been if those runs were outside...
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    A treadmill can be a vital part of fitness for those of us who live in a climate where it is 100˚+ degrees for nearly half the year. Sure, I much prefer being outside in the park or on my bike, but having that treadmill parked right in my house has made a difference.

I would probably like one too if I lived in a climate like that. Our temperate weather does make it easier to be outside with the exception of a few days per year when it is either higher than 95° or lower than 10°below 0°F (my personal limits)