Gym break - how to deal with it?

Options
Arathels
Arathels Posts: 6,883 Member
I'm currently on a gym timeout, doctors orders. The muscles in my arms can't take anymore.
Now I'm on day 3 and I swear I'm about to kill someone. I'm so frustrated and pissed that I try to avoid people at all cost.
I feel like I need to move and lift and that if I don't I'll explode. So how do I deal with it for 2 more weeks with out ripping someones head off?

Replies

• Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Is it just your upper body that's restricted? Can you do anything with lower body or take up running for awhile?

If you're in a full timeout I have no ideas. Except binge watch something on Netflix to distract you. It helps with my "must kill all the things" urges.
  • Arathels
    Options
    It's mostly my upper body but running could be a possibility. Although I hate cardio I think I might just have to look into it until I can lift again.
    Thanks, running didn't even cross my mind :*
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Hmm..I would be feeling your pain in your position. I'm thinking now about what I would do. Is it just lifting you can't do? Could you try a BJJ class or something? Dance? Serious glute and leg work for two weeks?
  • MRbigGUYXXL
    MRbigGUYXXL Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    just do it
  • Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    The doctor ordered you to stay away from gym and strenuous upper body activity. What was his assessment, and did u go to Dr because your arms were killing you? If you went because your arms were hurting that bad then yes I'd say avoid it.
  • fitnessjustin01
    fitnessjustin01 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If the doctor is ok with it I'd spend the time and focus on lower body workouts. You want to be careful though what activities you do. You'd be surprised how much tension you can put on parts of your upper body while focusing just on lower. Other than that stretch, eat clean, and mentally prepare for when you get the go ahead to start again :wink:
  • Steven_626
    Steven_626 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Find things you can do. Hiking? Walking? Biking?
  • Arathels
    Options
    The doctor ordered you to stay away from gym and strenuous upper body activity. What was his assessment, and did u go to Dr because your arms were killing you? If you went because your arms were hurting that bad then yes I'd say avoid it.

Yeah, forearms have been hurting a lot lately, I don't know the English word for it but the things between the muscles are giving in I pole dance for exercise 3-6 times per week and it's taking it's toll on the arms and elbows.
    I think I might have to skip the gym like you say :(
  • Arathels
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Hmm..I would be feeling your pain in your position. I'm thinking now about what I would do. Is it just lifting you can't do? Could you try a BJJ class or something? Dance? Serious glute and leg work for two weeks?

No lifting, push ups or anything that puts strains on my forearms. I could do lower body workouts.
    I was so focused on the things I'm not allowed to do that I totally forgot about the lower body workouts. Thanks :*
  • Arathels
    Options
    Steven_626 wrote: »
    Find things you can do. Hiking? Walking? Biking?
    Thank you. It's amazing how much you focus on the things you're not allowed to do when there are billion things you can do. Cheers.
  • Arathels
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Wuhbye wrote: »
    If the doctor is ok with it I'd spend the time and focus on lower body workouts. You want to be careful though what activities you do. You'd be surprised how much tension you can put on parts of your upper body while focusing just on lower. Other than that stretch, eat clean, and mentally prepare for when you get the go ahead to start again :wink:

Yeah, I've felt the strain in my upper body even though it's leg day. Thank you, I guess it'll be leg day wile my arms heal up! :*
  • joesanabria33
    joesanabria33 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Squats are your friends and glute exercises
  • Arathels
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    Why does it make you antsy not being able to go to the gym? That break is good for your body

I have no idea.. I just feel restless and frustrated if I don't go. It's like a drug...
  • Arathels
    Options

Bigger glutes always a good thing.. Leg day for the next few weeks :* Thanks.
  • joesanabria33
    joesanabria33 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Arathels wrote: »

Bigger glutes always a good thing.. Leg day for the next few weeks :* Thanks.

Aww you're welcome. Hurt my rotator cuff last year so I know the feeling. Now my booty is in good shape. :)
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hiit and steady cardio.

I'd also hit my legs properly, every other day.
    Work the legs with all the different movements you can think of.
    Since you're not gonna be lifting weights, use this time to work on muscle endurance with Bodyweight movements.
    Squats, jumping squats, lunges, jumping lunges, well you get the idea.

If you're able to, work the core and abs as well, planks, side planks, leg raises etc.

Eat good and let the body heal itself.
    Get well soon.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    Are you allowed to do pilates or yoga? You seem to like the pole dancing is that off limits? I don't go to the gym and I find lots of stuff to do. :)
  • Arathels
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    Are you allowed to do pilates or yoga? You seem to like the pole dancing is that off limits? I don't go to the gym and I find lots of stuff to do. :)

The pole dancing is out of the picture :( It's mostly strain from the different grips I have to swap between on the pole. Added lifting to that and right now I can't open or close my palms without pain.
    I should be able to do some yoga but I like the thought of leg day for a few weeks and some hiking :)
  • Arathels
    Options
    You could:

1. Go to a museum
    2. Volunteer at a soup kitchen
    3. Substitute for a teacher at an orphanage

And ride out the time until you recover.

No soup kitchens or orphanages where I live but I like the way you think ;)
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    What about swimming? Great full body and no gripping required