Daily yoga practice

Options
Hi there! I've been trying to get into a daily yoga practice to help my overall health. I have back issues so I like the low impact yoga has and the flexibility and strength training that comes with it really helps you!

Has anyone started their own daily yoga practice? If so how did you do it and how would you recommend I do it? If anyone wants to I would love to start this journey with others to keep ourselves accountable!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I do vinyasa or power yoga 4 times a week, and Pilates two times a week. I started by going to a few classes and then finding a teacher I liked. Then I stuck with that teacher until I felt relatively competent. Now I go to her classes and a few other folks' classes.
    I do the occasional online class, but without anyone there to observe my form, I feel like it's not as good for me. With Pilates, by now (4 or 5 years) I feel confident doing online classes from time to time. I know my form there.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get into it - not every day, but at least 3 times a week, to help improve the lower body flexibility issues which are causing problems with my other activities!
    I just schedule time for it like anything else. I use Youtube videos and I think it's nice to fit in before bed.
  • ssakcik
    ssakcik Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I don't do daily yoga anymore but I did do a 30 day daily yoga class in January... I did yoga camp with 'yoga with Adriene' on YouTube... Think it will be a good way to start a daily practise.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    ssakcik wrote: »
    I don't do daily yoga anymore but I did do a 30 day daily yoga class in January... I did yoga camp with 'yoga with Adriene' on YouTube... Think it will be a good way to start a daily practise.

I'm going to be traveling a lot in summer. I've seen folks mention her here before. Are they good videos?
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Yoga with Adriene is great, especially for beginners. There are a ton of others though too. I like the yoga with kassandra ones because she has several yin videos (my favorite style) and works on some deep flexibility. For those who do other activities too, I found one of hers aimed at power lifters and crossfitters.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Yoga with Adriene is great, especially for beginners. There are a ton of others though too. I like the yoga with kassandra ones because she has several yin videos (my favorite style) and works on some deep flexibility. For those who do other activities too, I found one of hers aimed at power lifters and crossfitters.

I'm not quite a beginner... I'll have a look at kassandra. Thanks
  • Noelani1503
    Options

I'm not quite a beginner... I'll have a look at kassandra. Thanks

Adriene has a pretty wide variety of videos. I think she's especially good for beginners because she has a 30 days of yoga for beginners series that is very accessible. Check her out too though. She has deep stretching and power yoga too, that more advanced yogis could get a lot out of.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Daily is still a dream. 2x week is good for me but think more is better.
  • Arathels
    Arathels Posts: 6,883 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely recommend yoga if you've got back problems. It's saving my back.
  • tiffanyrm18
    tiffanyrm18 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good morning! (For me anyway) I am your girl! I do yoga everyday. There are so many different forms of yoga, you really have to experiment until you find what you love. Can I suggest taking a class? For beginners it really helps as you will receive advice and tips on your posture; which will help you prevent more injury! I will suggest trying Bikram yoga, or hot yoga. These can be challenging, but the heat helps you loosen up so you can really get into your stretch pain free. Many people with injuries, or bad joints have had many success stories with these two types of yoga, so I highly suggest you do some research and watch some youtube videos because it's quite interesting. Every yogi is different! This is what I like, but find what works for you :)<3

I have actually taken quite a few classes so I'm pretty good on form it's more just figuring out what to do everyday and getting myself to do it!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

@noelani1503 can you please send me the link of kassandra's for powerlifters or yin ones?
  • Noelani1503
    Options
    Sure. I've never posted links here before. Let me know if you can't get to the videos.

Weight lifters:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iN-FPh7r1yg

Full body yin for flexibility (45 min):
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pNKy1_69H4Y

Full body (1 hr):
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UOwJy--Fenk
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Your videos linked perfectly. Thanks for posting them. I'll have a look around. I'm sure there's a few Vinyasa strength classes I can use during my trip. Cheers.
  • caplanlc
    caplanlc Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started a daily yoga practice by using "Yoga With Adriene" videos on YouTube. Her videos helped me so much with my physical and mental health, and now I am a 200-hour certified yoga teacher! I highly recommend Yoga With Adriene, yoga and her videos changed my life!
  • katelynlauzon89
    katelynlauzon89 Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I also started my daily practice by using "Yoga with Adriene". It was recommended to my by a friend. I started with Adrienne's 30 day yoga camp and have been practicing daily ever since. She has a great variety of videos and some great foundation videos. A little Yoga daily can go a long way! Even taking 10-15 minutes to practice can be so beneficial:)
    I also had lower back issues before starting my practice. I recommend some lower back strengthening exercises along with yoga. Since starting both I no longer have back pain !
    Best of luck!
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Check out the Gaiam Yoga Studio app, has great sessions that vary in length and level.... it is $2-3 but easily worth that.