I tend to think in all or nothing terms...

infamousmk
infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
It's something I struggle with majorly in all areas of my life. So when I did my weekly weigh-in and saw that I was up three pounds I felt SO defeated. I was sad and freaked out and wanted to comb over every bit of my journaling to figure out what I did 'wrong'. Even though I know I'm doing everything right, and that weight fluctuations happen.

So I reluctantly came to MFP to enter my weight gain for the week, still feeling down. Then I posted to the forums and noticed my ticker - which states I'm still down four pounds. Somehow, for some reason, just seeing it in black and white that although this week was an up week, I'm still down from where I started, and it made my entire day.

Here's to hoping that this journey not only teaches me how to live within a healthy lifestyle, but also helps me remember that it's not always all or nothing out there.

Replies

• imprimez
    imprimez Posts: 36
    Whatever you do, don't give up!

Strictly adhere to counting and whatever else you've decided to do and stick with it. You WILL see improvement if you're eating right and exercising! Just be patient!
  • infamousmk
    Whatever you do, don't give up!

Strictly adhere to counting and whatever else you've decided to do and stick with it. You WILL see improvement if you're eating right and exercising! Just be patient!

Thank you! I'm seeing changes in inches, I feel freaking amazing - I know it's working. It's just gonna take time and sweat. :D
  • page68
    page68 Posts: 220 Member
    I can totally relate. I too am a "recovering" all or nothing gal. But what's helped me over the past 13 months is MFP - holding myself accountable every day, logging in food and ex. For some unknown reason, it takes the all or nothing right out of the equation. My advice wold be to K(eep) (o)n (L)oggin'!!!

good luck!
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 845 Member
    I am soooo all or nothing, still recovering from losing 'only 1' lb last week. Lame, I know.
    As long as we keep going though and never give up, thats what really counts.
  • infamousmk
    Thanks everybody! It's so nice to hear that I'm not the only one out there that struggles with this way of thinking!
  • I know your pain. I was in the same situation this morning... I put on 3 pounds. I panicked, and wondered what I had done wrong. But like you, I need to learn to keep things in perspective. I may have put on 3 pounds this week, but I've lost 19 pounds overall - that's something to be proud of and I need to remind myself of this every once in a while. Seeing a decreased number on the scales every week is nice, but it can become addictive and that's not healthy.

Good luck... keep powering through. You'll reach your goals, and so will I! :-)
This discussion has been closed.