Adventure Cycling

Options
I am looking into going on a road trip on my bike. I am wondering if anyone has gone riding for a week or longer for a trip? Did you camp out? Stay in hotels? I am new to cycling but it looks like a great time to take a road trip with just you and the bike and whatever you pack. Anybody with any experience?

Replies

• sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I've had friends do both. One biked across the US and stayed both in a tent at various places and then would stop at friends' or friends of friends', or a hotel from time to time for showers, comfy bed (or couch).

Another friend has just begun her solo bike ride across Canada. She's doing the same thing. First was on the bike for a few months and the Canadian cyclist plans the same.

Both had solar packs to recharge phones, stopped at McDonalds or Starbucks from time to time to update friends and family.

In the US, you can have friends send something general delivery to a USPS on the route to help replenish supplies or send goodies if you're going to be out a while.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Staying at hotels is called "credit card touring," much like how camping is associated with "regular" bike touring. I'm more of a day tourer, I drive my bike somewhere pretty, then go home for the evening and ride somewhere else. It's what my schedule allows.

Can you finance a hotels trip? What camp gear do you have, and to haul it with your bike?
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Just you, or as a group? Any support (sag wagon), or are you going to have to be able to handle any and all repairs along the way? The hotel option (and ordering in meals) is more expensive, but you save quite a bit of weight, unless you have a sag wagon. Do you already have panniers (or a frame bag), sleeping bag, tent, tools, water filter? Have you done anything like an overnight out-and-back yet?

Unless you're pretty experienced, an organized event (such as RAGBRAI) is what I would personally recommend. They're a heck of a lot of fun.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I haven't since my misspent youth and we roughed it, sleeping in tents etc. Now that I'm an old geezer I'd probably prefer the comfort of a hotel or B&B.

Biggest pieces of advice I can think of are to make sure your fitness level is up to the task. If you're planning on going 60 or 80km daily (which is very doable without being Tour de France fit) you want it to be enjoyable. Secondly.....plan your route and make sure you share it with someone (especially important if you're traveling alone) and check in with them regularly.

As to whether you want to camp or stay in hotels that's a decision based on preference, budget and availability.

• dee_thurman
    dee_thurman Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I am starting from scratch. I have a bike, helmet, gloves, shoes, lights for my bike. I haven't done anything like this in my life but I would love to do it. I would start with a couple of overnight trips to get a feel of what it is like and then later in the summer after I feel more prepared I would like to do it. I have a road bike and I do not have any of the equipment. I am looking to get advice on where I could purchase equipment or who I could talk with to help me put together my bike for the trip. I think I would have a blast. I am in decent shape but by the middle to end of the summer I should be in good enough shape for it to be fun. Any specifics on how I could keep costs down with purchasing the equipment for the trip or any specifics on what I need to do I appreciate all advice. I am doing research now.
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    Any books? Any place on the internet to find out more specifics? Any stores I could talk to workers or people who do this? I am pretty excited about this now I would like to find a way to make it work.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Which country are you in?

(Or alternatively - which country are you thinking of exploring?)
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Any books? Any place on the internet to find out more specifics? Any stores I could talk to workers or people who do this? I am pretty excited about this now I would like to find a way to make it work.

A simple Google search for "Cycle Touring" should find you plenty of resources - the CTC website for example has lots of general info which will be useful.

Also, if you like reading the book "One Man & His Bike" by Mike Carter is pretty funny. Not really a "how to" guide (although you could pick up a lot of tips though) but the story of a man who decides he's had enough of the rat race and goes out riding around the coast of the UK. It will also give you a glimpse into the rich tapestry which is UK living.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,848 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I am looking into going on a road trip on my bike. I am wondering if anyone has gone riding for a week or longer for a trip? Did you camp out? Stay in hotels? I am new to cycling but it looks like a great time to take a road trip with just you and the bike and whatever you pack. Anybody with any experience?

I've done many cycling tours, and I've done different things.

My husband and I often go on hub-and-spoke tours where we drive to a central location and cycle out in different directions from there.

We'll also do overnight tours where we cycle out to a spot, camp overnight and then return.

And we've done longer tours ... a week, a month, several months.

I did 3 weeks in Europe in 2003, 3 months in Australia in 2004, a week in the Canadian Rockies in 2005, a month in Europe in 2007, a week in Australia in 2008, 8 months round-the-world in 2012/13 ... plus a whole heap of shorter tours mixed in.

A few photos of a few trips:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/collections/72157626703106432/

And you might find this forum informative:
    http://www.bikeforums.net/touring/
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    I would be touring USA, starting in the midwest.
  • pgray007
    pgray007 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend taking a camping trip or two, even if "car camping," since camping is as "science" unto itself, and this will give you an idea if you want to do a camping-oriented trip or stick with hotels.

I'd also recommend the site "crazyguyonabike.com" it looks like a party from 1999 but hs great cycle touring content, and people taking massive journies from around the world to Paris-Beijing to help inspire you and provide a practical example of long distance touring.
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    I went to REI to get a tent and one of the workers suggested a hammock. I ended up leaving without buying anything but considering a hammock because of how easy it is to pack. Any thoughts?
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I went to REI to get a tent and one of the workers suggested a hammock. I ended up leaving without buying anything but considering a hammock because of how easy it is to pack. Any thoughts?

Are you OK with sleeping in the rain? Does it have enough netting to keep the various bloodsuckers at bay? What are your nighttime temps - hammocks have a lot of air circulation, so you'll cool off quickly (an advantage or disadvantage, depending). Are there enough trees in the area you'll be biking in that you're assured of a location to tie up?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

Only works if you have two trees the right size and distance, to hang your hammock from. In the desert and high mountains, it won't work.

You'll probably need a tarp to go above your hammock for dew and sometimes for rain. You'll need insulation like a sleeping bag (same as any camping) but you'll also need insulation underneath you. Some people use a second sleeping bag, "under bag" and others use a pad with a high R-value. You know how when it gets really cold at night, a bridge is the first place to freeze because it has air instead of ground under it which makes it colder? That's just like a hammock. When everything is said and done it will weigh about as much as a traditional tent camping setup. In my opinion it's less versatile, but I'm also a little biased because I like to hike and camp above tree line.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options

I'd still go with a tent. Many of the modern backpacking tents are very light and compact and gives you the option of setting up camp anywhere flat enough with having to worry about rain or mosquitoes etc and would afford you more privacy than sleeping a hammock in the open would. I suspect the employee at REI suggesting the hammock doesn't have a lot of personal experience camping out.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hi! I went on a 5 day bike tour from Key Largo to Key west. We did 50 miles a day and stayed in hotels. It cost $1000 for hotels which I split with my roommate. We had to carry our clothes and toiletries, but no tents, sleeping bags and all that stuff. It was a great experience and I want to do it again!
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    I am starting to plan out my trip. I really have no limits on where I could go. I am starting in the midwest (Indiana, Ohio, KY, IL, MI area. Are there any websites or resources that give you the best roads to ride on ?
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    It sounds to me that all of you agree that a tent is better than a hammock. The hammock comes with a bug net and a tarp that hangs over you so you don't get wet. You have to purchase a sleeping bag and a something of the sort to lay underneath. I am going soon so it will be in the summer in the midwest where it will be pretty hot. I do agree that a tent sounds simpler.
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    There's a cross state bikeway in Ohio, approx 325 miles long, although not complete.
    http://www.ohiotoerietrail.org/
    Here's one persons story of a 4 day journey on the bikeway:
    http://ohiobikeways.net/ohioerieride.htm
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    You should also learn basic bike repair. Can you change a flat? Tighten a spoke, pop back on a chain? On all my rides I carry a spare tube and a small pump.
    At home I use a larger floor pump with a pressure gauge.