Lean Cuisine meals Are they ok?

Options
I was thinking of buying a bunch of those to make life easier. You know, take the fuss out of measuring, cooking, planning, counting etc etc. All I need to do is eat and log. Lol I was thinking do this just until I see some good results so I dont get discouraged or overwhelmed. I am worried about the salt and carbs though. Please share your thoughts or advice. Thanks :)

Replies

• melissafawnw
    melissafawnw Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My only concern would be the sodium. Like the other poster said, it depends on if that's a problem for you. I use them for lunches at work sometimes, but I won't eat them more than once a day. It's worth trying to get you started.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Ehh.

The best part of my weight loss journey has been learning to LOVE cooking. I can recreate high calorie meals I loved before, but with better ingredients. Everything I make tastes way better than the over processed store-bought version. And honestly, the weight and measuring is so not difficult once it becomes routine.

If I'm taking fruit to work for lunch, I put my tupperware on the scale and zero it, wash and cut the fruit, and toss it in. Jot the grams down in a notebook and continue. For big recipes, I write down a list of the ingredients before I start cooking. Then I fill in measurements as I go.

Lean Cuisines are okay. I wayyy prefer the Healthy Choice Steamers, though, with a couple snacks on the side.
  • danikat15
    danikat15 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have about 10 of the Healthy Choice steamers in my fridge at all times. I eat mason jar salads for lunch 4 days a week and then I'll take a steamer to work the last day. On the weekend, if I'm being lazy and not up to cooking something, I'll grab one of the steamers. If my husband and kids want something for dinner that definitely will not fit into my calories allowance, the steamers beat making an entirely different meal for myself. Overall, I have about 2 a week at the most.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    They're meh to me. They make for quick meals, but their portions for the calories are tiny (and they're a big pain-in-the-butt to fit into my macros). Often, I make extra of what I might be making for dinner one night and eat that for dinner/lunch the next few days.
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have a few in my freezer but i hardly eat them. They have been in there for a while, they taste just kinda plain to me nothing i look forward to. I would rather cook myself a meal instead. But the ones i have only have 350 calories and like 600mg sodium so when i am too lazy to cook i will make one of those.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of frozen food, but picked up a few Lean Cuisine entrees last week on sale and I was actually surprised- the taste & amount of food were both better than I expected. The tortilla crusted fish was awesome (but I microwaved an extra tilapia filet to bulk it up), and the meatloaf & mashed potatoes was decent and pretty filling. The turkey & vegetables was only 190 calories, and was good, but again, I needed to supplement it with some extra extra deli sliced turkey. So I wouldn't mind having a few on hand when I'm in a pinch and don't want to cook (could use one now, actually), but I'd never want to live on them. Too much sodium and there's too many easy, better things out there a person could eat. :)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I love them for something handy in a hurry. Pair it with a salad and it's a good, satisfying meal.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thai chicken and noodles has a decent macro mix, but I have to eat a lot of veggies to fill me up.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I like the Santa Fe rice and beans. Could probably make a similar healthier thing for myself for way cheaper, but I'm lazy about cooking.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Try the asparagus ravioli, lots of veggies. I add 4oz grilled chicken breast and follow with an apple for a very satisfying lunch at about 500 calories.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them, but they aren't very tasty or filling for the calories to me. I'd rather have a bell pepper sandwich and a protein shake, which I guess just proves that there's a wiiiide range of personal preference. ;)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I eat them 2 or 3 times a week. I don't worry about sodium or carbs (no medical issues for me). I look for dinners that have the most protein and usually end up adding some (more) veggies.

This is all a learning experience. Figure out what works for you long term. Measuring & logging is "fussy." But it's also necessary for me. I'm here because my portions are too big. NOT measuring "regular" food doesn't give me the tools I need for maintenance.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them years ago. Now I make my own. Cook up rice or potato, veggies if you want and some proteins and measure them into containers. 4 oz starch, 3 oz protein, whatever veg. Just take one and heat it up. It's very easy and cooking for an hour or so and you'll have a bunch of meals ready to go. Less sodium, cheaper and usually more filling.
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    About 8 years ago I did the Jenny Craig program and found that Lean Cuisine meals are almost nutritionally identical to the frozen meals from Jenny - the only difference was Jenny has you add as much lean greens as you want (spinach, broccoli, etc.) I lost a very significant amount of weight doing this and it was very convenient for me at the time.

Since then, I do notice I feel better with less sodium and processed foods. However, if your goal is simply weight loss, the frozen meals worked for me. I would just recommend adding some fresh veggies and fruits into your diet too. :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I think ok is exactly what they are. There is nothing unhealthy about them but I doubt many people would consider them "health food". They don't taste bad unless compared to a good home-cooked meal. They aren't great but they are okay. ;)
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I would add a cup of veggies.
    Ex: Peas - if the package had peas.
    Or eat a mixed green salad on the side.
  • _ACakes_
    _ACakes_ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think if you otherwise watch consumption of processed foods, they can be really convenient and help you learn reasonable portion sizes. I live alone and work and go to school full time, so having a few at home helps me abstain from picking up fast food or eating out on late nights. I second pairing with a salad or some steamed veg, and maybe some fruit for dessert.
  • ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    They are fine and really do help stay on track of calorie intake (especially as a quick lunch vs. getting some fast food). The Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers are my go-to frozen meals, but I still get Lean Cuisine regularly too because they are usually less expensive. The higher sodium is easy to balance out if you are just using it for one meal and cooking the other(s) yourself.

Also agree with adding veggies if/when you can. Peas and spinach are great to just mix in.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with them, incredibly high in sodium though. I also feel that the portions allowed in the meals would leave me starving. I could get less calories in a meal than lean cuisine by doing it myself and feel fuller longer. Nothing like a baked chicken breast, steamed vegetables and a baked sweet potato to go. Food prep doesn't have to take that long and I usually make what I plan on eating for a few days all at once to save myself some time. My opinion is that those meals typically have too many calories for the amount of food they offer and are usually too low in protein. Protein is what keeps you fuller for longer.