Help! What do I do with corn tortillas

Options

Replies

• noely1974
    noely1974 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    ok what bready tipe products are not full of starch ?
  • antonio823
    antonio823 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Here you go:

Ten Uses for Tortillas #1: Cheeseburgers

One of my favorite uses for tortillas is cheeseburgers. I crumble ground beef into a pan and fry it until the beef is done. I then warm tortillas in the microwave and spread them with mayonnaise and place on some shredded cheddar cheese. I then pour on the hamburger and top with lettuce and tomato. Roll into a wrap and enjoy.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #2: Taco Salads

Using two big metal ladles, you can use tortillas to make bowls. Simply place them in between the two ladles, creating a bowl shape and hold the tortilla under the oil until it browns. Remove the it from the oil and place on a paper towel to drain. Then use it for taco salad by layering in lettuce, tomato, cheese, seasoned meat, sour cream, and salsa.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #3: Mexican Dip Bowl

Another use for tortilla bowls is Mexican dip. Inside the bowl place meat, refried beans, cheese sauce, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, chopped tomatoes, and green onions. Serve with homemade corn chips.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #4: Healthy Corn Chips

Another great use for tortillas is to make healthy corn chips. All you need to do is cut corn tortillas into wedges and then dip them into a mixture of lime juice, chili power, and salt. Allow the them to dry and then bake them on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake at 350 degree until slightly brown and crispy.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #5: Breakfast Burritos Tortillas can also be used to create breakfast burritos. Just fry up some sausage patties and scramble a few eggs. Place the two in a warmed tortilla along with shredded cheddar cheese, salsa, and jalapeno slices. Roll and serve.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #6: Mexican Lasagna

Everyone loves Italian lasagna, but why not use tortillas to make Mexican lasagna. Start with a ladle of enchilada sauce, then place a layer of tortillas in the pan, then a layer of shredded chicken, and then a layer of Monterey Jack cheese, and more enchilada sauce. Repeat the layers ending with more enchilada sauce and more cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until the cheese melts and serve immediately.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #7: Dessert Wrap

Another fun use is dessert wraps. Take warm tortillas and fill them with milk chocolate chips, toasted pecans, and marshmallows. Roll into a wrap and then roll in aluminum foil. Place the wrap in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes until the chocolate and marshmallows melt. Serve with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge sauce.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #8: Spicy Pinwheels

In a food processor mix buffalo sauce and cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts until smooth. One a warmed flour tortilla place a layer of ranch dressing and then a layer of the chicken mixture. Roll into cigars and then slice into pinwheels. This makes a great appetizer.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #9: Mexican Croutons

The next time you make a taco salad, take things one step further by making Mexican croutons. These are really easy to make. Simply cut tortillas into strips and fry until golden brown. Season the croutons and use immediately.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #10: Grilled Cheese Sandwiches A.K.A. Quesadillas Another one of my favorite ways to uses is to make quesadillas. All you have to do is place a tortilla in a skillet and then add your favorite ingredients to one side. Fold over and cook until brown, then flip, and cook until brown on the second side. Serve with salsa and sour cream.

Published by Amy Brantley - Featured Contributor in Lifestyle

A passionate writer who specializes in food-related content and has hopes of changing the way people think about cooking. Has published over a thousand pieces of food-related content.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/344524/ten_uses_for_tortillas_pg3.html?cat=22

:happy:
  • bmpal
    bmpal Posts: 36
    Options
    Make Baja style fish tacos! Grill some tilapia or other white fish with a little taco seasoning and put inside the warmed tortillas with shredded cabbage, pico de gallo (or other salsa) and a dot of fat free sour cream. YUM!

Breakfast? Grill an egg and place it on top of a warmed tortilla with a little shredded cheese and salsa. YUM again!

I even used them last night with some leftover Kalua pork I made from Gina's Skinny recipes. Even good with the hoisin sauce on top!

Try a pizza! Top it with some sauce, cheese and veggies and bake in the oven until cheese is melty and the tortilla is crisp.

Cut them in strips, spray with cooking spray or drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt & pepper and any other seasonings you like and bake in the oven or toss in the skillet. Add them as a crunchy topping to salads or use as chips for dipping.

Really, you can do an amazing amount of things with these :)
  • mamijujuphat
    mamijujuphat Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    mmm.... the endless possibilities you do can do with corn tortillas... lol...
  • lkenn67
    lkenn67 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Make taco cups.

1-Warm tortillas so they are soft (oven or micro)
    2- gently press one tortilla into each muffin pan cup
    3- fill with what ever you want I do re-fried beans, Spanish rice, corn, black beans. You can add meat and cheese if you want
    4- bake for 20 min or until the corn tortilla starts to crisp up.

serve with lettuce, tomato, salsa,
    very yummy
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Here you go:

Ten Uses for Tortillas #1: Cheeseburgers

One of my favorite uses for tortillas is cheeseburgers. I crumble ground beef into a pan and fry it until the beef is done. I then warm tortillas in the microwave and spread them with mayonnaise and place on some shredded cheddar cheese. I then pour on the hamburger and top with lettuce and tomato. Roll into a wrap and enjoy.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #2: Taco Salads

Using two big metal ladles, you can use tortillas to make bowls. Simply place them in between the two ladles, creating a bowl shape and hold the tortilla under the oil until it browns. Remove the it from the oil and place on a paper towel to drain. Then use it for taco salad by layering in lettuce, tomato, cheese, seasoned meat, sour cream, and salsa.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #3: Mexican Dip Bowl

Another use for tortilla bowls is Mexican dip. Inside the bowl place meat, refried beans, cheese sauce, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, chopped tomatoes, and green onions. Serve with homemade corn chips.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #4: Healthy Corn Chips

Another great use for tortillas is to make healthy corn chips. All you need to do is cut corn tortillas into wedges and then dip them into a mixture of lime juice, chili power, and salt. Allow the them to dry and then bake them on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake at 350 degree until slightly brown and crispy.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #5: Breakfast Burritos Tortillas can also be used to create breakfast burritos. Just fry up some sausage patties and scramble a few eggs. Place the two in a warmed tortilla along with shredded cheddar cheese, salsa, and jalapeno slices. Roll and serve.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #6: Mexican Lasagna

Everyone loves Italian lasagna, but why not use tortillas to make Mexican lasagna. Start with a ladle of enchilada sauce, then place a layer of tortillas in the pan, then a layer of shredded chicken, and then a layer of Monterey Jack cheese, and more enchilada sauce. Repeat the layers ending with more enchilada sauce and more cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until the cheese melts and serve immediately.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #7: Dessert Wrap

Another fun use is dessert wraps. Take warm tortillas and fill them with milk chocolate chips, toasted pecans, and marshmallows. Roll into a wrap and then roll in aluminum foil. Place the wrap in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes until the chocolate and marshmallows melt. Serve with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge sauce.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #8: Spicy Pinwheels

In a food processor mix buffalo sauce and cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts until smooth. One a warmed flour tortilla place a layer of ranch dressing and then a layer of the chicken mixture. Roll into cigars and then slice into pinwheels. This makes a great appetizer.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #9: Mexican Croutons

The next time you make a taco salad, take things one step further by making Mexican croutons. These are really easy to make. Simply cut tortillas into strips and fry until golden brown. Season the croutons and use immediately.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #10: Grilled Cheese Sandwiches A.K.A. Quesadillas Another one of my favorite ways to uses is to make quesadillas. All you have to do is place a tortilla in a skillet and then add your favorite ingredients to one side. Fold over and cook until brown, then flip, and cook until brown on the second side. Serve with salsa and sour cream.

Published by Amy Brantley - Featured Contributor in Lifestyle

A passionate writer who specializes in food-related content and has hopes of changing the way people think about cooking. Has published over a thousand pieces of food-related content.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/344524/ten_uses_for_tortillas_pg3.html?cat=22

:happy:
    Interesting...thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • radio_flyer
    Options
    THANKS!!! You guys rock on the ideas -- loved all of them .... even had to print the page out! Thanks so much.

Guess you schooled me on the corn tortillas! (LOL) I've used them for tacos before -- but I use the flour ones for veggie wraps, so I was a little miffed on what I was going to do with them. And I don't know who said it because they are nasty when they are cold and limp!!

I made chips out of them tonight and thank god I only made 12 of them -- because I could of ate the whole bag seriously. The taco lasanga idea sounds interesting -- I'll have to try that. (Sans the meat -- I'm a veg head).

Great Ideas!!!
  • radio_flyer
    Options
    Make taco cups.

1-Warm tortillas so they are soft (oven or micro)
    2- gently press one tortilla into each muffin pan cup
    3- fill with what ever you want I do re-fried beans, Spanish rice, corn, black beans. You can add meat and cheese if you want
    4- bake for 20 min or until the corn tortilla starts to crisp up.

serve with lettuce, tomato, salsa,
    very yummy

Yummo ... I think I'm going to try this tomorrow!!
  • taurie
    taurie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Gweneth Paltrow has a recipe on her website for Baja shrimp tacos using corn tortillas. I've made this recipe a few times; they're soooo yummy!

They're nice with scrambled eggs too.
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Go back to the store and exchange them for Mission Whole Grain tortillas :)

Or the Ole high fiber ones. The best, bar NONE!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Yea, eat them on your cheat day!

Not sure I understand.

Why on a cheat day??

They're probably healthier than the flour tortillas.

I use corn tortillas all the time, and NOT on cheat days. They have fewer calories, less saturated fat, and less sugar than whole wheat flour tortillas...which means you can have more of them to equal what you would have had if you ate flour ones.

But then again...depends on the brand I suppose.

But I normally make them into crunchy tacos shells by baking them in the oven without oil. I made these V-shaped things from thin cookie sheets and the grocery store as molds and drape them over the rungs of a rack. I heat the oven to 350. Then I typically microwave the shells for about 30 seconds while covered in a wet paper towel (makes them soft and pliable) and then drape them over the molds. They bake for about 10 minutes or so and are healthy crunchy taco shells without being fried like the preformed ones at the store.

I also like to make enchiladas...heat with wet paper towel as above, only when they are done, drench in low sugar enchilada sauce, put filling down the center, roll up, and put them in a baking dish. Normally cooks in about 15-20 minutes at 350 in the oven.

Sometimes after I microwave them, I season them with chipotle chili powder before baking and forming into the taco shells or rolling the enchiladas. YUM!
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Tostadas!!! ha ha so many things this was a staple in my house when the doctors thought my husband had a gluten allergy...oh btw Mexican lasagna sooo good
  • Hairhacker
    Hairhacker Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Saving for later...great ideas!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Tortillitas/Migas con Huevo

Cut them into tortilla chip-sized triangles. Brown them with a smidge of oil (even a quick spritz of the canned oil). Toss in some scrambled eggs. Onions or chile peppers are good in there too. Heaven!

Migas-con-Huevo.jpg
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Same thing you'd use flour ones for?

Novel idea there.

I really like to cut them into strip, fry them, and toss them in powdered sugar mixed with coco and cinnamon.
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Man, I'm hungry now!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Everything!!!. . These are a staple in my house. We eat tortillas more than we eat bread. . lol. My favorite though Enchiladas, or tostadas.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    cut them up, skillet them a bit, add some scrambled eggs, onions and peppers = migas!

chalupas

nachos

flautas

quesadillas

tacos
    migas:tongue: