Special K diet & 30 Day Shred?

Options
Hello. So I've seen many people on here that's doing the Special K diet or the 30 Day Shred. I was wanting to hear from people who are doing/done either of these things. Did you actually lose weight? If so how long did it take before you started losing?

Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Options
    I tried the special K diet once, and i've never been so hungry or weak in my life. I worked out that you're eating under 1000 calories a day, which definately isn't a good idea for sustainable weight loss! I have only read amazing things about the 30 day shred though, there are tons of threads on here about it.
  • jessdeweerdt
    jessdeweerdt Posts: 128
    Options
    I did the 30 day shred.. but only 3 days a week, and other cardio the other days.. I noticed a change after the first week.. I took pics weekly, and unfortunately I didn't do measurements. I didn't lose much pound wise, but I also wasn't eating enough.. hope that helps :)
  • MellowYellowGem
    MellowYellowGem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 30DS at the minute, I saw and felt results within the first week!!!! Not so much weight loss, but I have dropped a dress size (I'm on around day 20 now). I would defo recommend it, you just need some hand weights to do it with. :smile:
  • hstallings13
    hstallings13 Posts: 306
    Options
    I am on day 7 of the 30 day shred and while I haven't lost any weight I can already see changes in my body and I've lost .5-1" off of all my measurements. I stick to a sensible diet and within my calories, but I'm not as concerned about loosing the weight as getting my body back in shape :)
  • hng2101
    hng2101 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I did the special K diet for about a week. It was okay for about 3 days, and then day four I was really unsatisfied. It was a good way to "shrink" my stomach a bit because it got me used to eating smaller meals.

I lost a pound and it helped me continue losing by simply counting calories on MFP like I had already been doing a year (at the time).

I think the special K diet commercials assume that the people who go on the diet are not watching what they eat or exercising and the "trick" of the diet is then you're eating 150 calories for breakfast and lunch, with 2 100 calorie snacks in between. That's 500 calories, leaving a TON of calories for dinner. Hence the "lose a pant size!" promotions. (I know I lost a pant size FAST when first I started calorie counting.)

For me, I was already watching the amount of calories so it was just another way of doing what I was already doing... I LOVE cereal and I didn't enjoy the Special K diet as much as I thought I would because it's just another numbers game.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    It is a fad diet. Lots of calories and not enough protein. If you want to do something like that, find a good protein drink with less than 200 calories and 25grams or more of protein (just watch the sugar) and do one or two of those a day.

Seen lots of great results with the 30 day shred.

Keep up posted!
  • canwendy1
    canwendy1 Posts: 40
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Your information helps a lot! :smile:
  • raeshel2
    raeshel2 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have done the Special K diet about 6 mos ago. I did lose weight, within the first 2 wks, but I was so hungry. Anyway, how does one get involved in the 30 day shred?
  • ShyBreasts
    ShyBreasts Posts: 91
    Options
    I'm currently on my 12th day of the special K diet, I have been following my progress with videos, check them out :-)

http://www.youtube.com/shybreasts

I lost about 6lbs in the first week but haven't lost much more since then :-)

X
  • tamiesue2
    tamiesue2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I did the Special K diet a year ago and lost 10 pounds. You need to include some protein in between, I did peanut butter. I wouldnt suggest mixing it with heavy cardio, there just isnt enough calories.
  • lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you lose water weight on your first week of special k then stall because you're not eating enough calories. One big marketing ploy to sell a crappy cereal that isn't even that nice. (don't mind the cereal bars, but they're full of sugar). Just say no, MFP is your friend :)
  • Candace_Marie
    Options
    The Specila K Diet is just another fad diet. Many people that do it barely have the energy to even work out because their calorie count is so low and you don't get proper nutrition from eating cereal for two of your meals. After you stop the diet you'll most likely gain the weight back plus some extra pounds. I'm doing the 30 day shred and love it. All you need is to keep your calories in check and stick with the dvd and you'll do fine. If you're worried, just do some extra cardio on top of the dvd. Just make sure you're eating healthy meals in small portions :)