Gym break - how to deal with it?

Options
2»

Replies

• synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    You have to do something like that for if you disobey doctor's instructions, it may cause permanent damage and what if it turns out you can't get back to your routines for months in the event of a more telling injury.

Best option is to locate a new hobby and ride it out.

This is good advice. I went against dr's orders recently and the stupid injury still hurts.
  • Mr_Stabbems
    Mr_Stabbems Posts: 4,773 Member
    Options
    When you say the things in between the muscles do you mean tendons?

Most of the time pain when gripping objects is lateral or medial epicondylitis (tennis/golfers elbow). Carpal tunnel syndrome can cause some pain when gripping too.

Rest (and taping) will help but it won't always resolve the issue. Most the cases I run into are muscle imbalances (albeit from typists not pole dancers sadly)
  • joesanabria33
    joesanabria33 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Today is leg day for me, good luck with yours :p
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Buff_Man wrote: »
    What about swimming? Great full body and no gripping required

or aqua aerobics (water running.) Or just getting in a hot tub and moving around. May help channel some of that muscle habit energy without causing more damage.
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

Most of the time pain when gripping objects is lateral or medial epicondylitis (tennis/golfers elbow). Carpal tunnel syndrome can cause some pain when gripping too.

Rest (and taping) will help but it won't always resolve the issue. Most the cases I run into are muscle imbalances (albeit from typists not pole dancers sadly)

That's what it sounds like to me. In which case you'd probably want to be careful with yoga. A lot of people with tendonitis struggle with yoga poses. I think another poster mentioned BJJ, but unless you're doing a specific technique class there will be lots of grip in that one. Sorry. :/
  • Arathels
    Arathels Posts: 6,883 Member
    Options

I don't know. English is not my first language. It's something that's swollen between the muscles in my forearms due to a grip we do when doing pole tricks. We call it Sinaslíðurbólgur.
    Thank you, I'm gonna read up on tennis/golfers elbow and see if that can be it. But I really doubt it's a muscle imbalance ;)
  • Arathels
    Options
    Buff_Man wrote: »
    What about swimming? Great full body and no gripping required

Swimming's good, thanks for that idea :D
  • Mr_Stabbems
    Options
    I think Sinaslíðurbólgur means tendonitis. I don't speak Icelandic though lol

When I say muscle imbalances I only mean a difference between two opposing muscles. It doesn't mean you've done anything wrong it's just you might use one more than the other therefore you might habe a strength difference between the two. It could just be strain but I wouldn't be able to tell for sure without seeing you.
  • Mr_Stabbems
    Options
    Oh with tennis and golfers elbow you're looking at pain on either the outside or the inside of the elbow/forearm respectively
  • Arathels
    Options
    I think Sinaslíðurbólgur means tendonitis. I don't speak Icelandic though lol

When I say muscle imbalances I only mean a difference between two opposing muscles. It doesn't mean you've done anything wrong it's just you might use one more than the other therefore you might habe a strength difference between the two. It could just be strain but I wouldn't be able to tell for sure without seeing you.

Could be it.. It's not the tennis/golfer elbow but tendonitis pain is a lot closer to the pain I'm feeling, although it's a little bit different.

How do I know if it's just strain? The doctor just took a look at my arm, subscribed pain killers and told me not to work out for 2-3 weeks wile the swelling would subdue.
  • Arathels
    Options
    Oooohhhh, Icelander.

As Icelandic as they get ;)
  • Arathels
    Options
    The doctor ordered you to stay away from gym and strenuous upper body activity. What was his assessment, and did u go to Dr because your arms were killing you? If you went because your arms were hurting that bad then yes I'd say avoid it.

Yeah I went cause I can't close or open my palms without pain. He just subscribed painkillers and told me to stay away from the gym for 2-3 weeks. Nothing more.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Arathels wrote: »
    The doctor ordered you to stay away from gym and strenuous upper body activity. What was his assessment, and did u go to Dr because your arms were killing you? If you went because your arms were hurting that bad then yes I'd say avoid it.

Yeah I went cause I can't close or open my palms without pain. He just subscribed painkillers and told me to stay away from the gym for 2-3 weeks. Nothing more.

I've had 8 upper body orthopedic surgeries in the last 5-6 years. Each time, as soon as the doctor said it was okay (generally in 7-10 days when the stitches came out) I went and and did the leg machines at the gym and hiked wearing my big immobilizer sling.

Just doing something is great for the attitude.

Best of luck.
  • pfreeme
    pfreeme Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    Are you allowed to do pilates or yoga? You seem to like the pole dancing is that off limits? I don't go to the gym and I find lots of stuff to do. :)

The pole dancing is out of the picture :( It's mostly strain from the different grips I have to swap between on the pole. Added lifting to that and right now I can't open or close my palms without pain.
    I should be able to do some yoga but I like the thought of leg day for a few weeks and some hiking :)

I have a similar issue w my forearms /wrist. Gripping but its from cycling etc for years and ageing maybe even artritis. I hear ya on the"its like a drug" broke my knee a few years back be glad its not your lower body. Have fun changing things up.
  • Watchinherbackthistime
    Watchinherbackthistime Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on a gym timeout, doctors orders. The muscles in my arms can't take anymore.
    Now I'm on day 3 and I swear I'm about to kill someone. I'm so frustrated and pissed that I try to avoid people at all cost.
    I feel like I need to move and lift and that if I don't I'll explode. So how do I deal with it for 2 more weeks with out ripping someones head off?

I'm on a 12 week timeout following major surgery and it's killing me I feel all frumpy it's horrible I'd do what the above said and take up running just to spurt out some of that frustration good luck xxx
  • cowsreaper
    cowsreaper Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's mostly my upper body but running could be a possibility. Although I hate cardio I think I might just have to look into it until I can lift again.
    Thanks, running didn't even cross my mind :*

It's sucks too see you hate cardio (running) it will really tone your abs and calves, also when I have to take breaks and get mad, I listen to music that I like then just go on with my day try that!!!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

I don't know. English is not my first language. It's something that's swollen between the muscles in my forearms due to a grip we do when doing pole tricks. We call it Sinaslíðurbólgur.
    Thank you, I'm gonna read up on tennis/golfers elbow and see if that can be it. But I really doubt it's a muscle imbalance ;)

According to Google translate, Sinaslíðurbólgur is Icelandic for Tenosynovitis, inflammation or swelling of a tendon

Edit: aw hell. Missed a whole second page where they already covered this :laugh:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Question about leg day, is it body weight leg day? Weighted squats for instance would still require you to hold a bar in place, which I imagine demands some grip strength.
  • cowsreaper
    cowsreaper Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Question about leg day, is it body weight leg day? Weighted squats for instance would still require you to hold a bar in place, which I imagine demands some grip strength.

You can either hold a bar, plate, or dumbells. A plate is the easiest as long as you don't go over 45 lbs, if you do then you'll have to use dumbells or a bar
  • Arathels
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

I hold a round 15 kg weight thingy in my arms.. Kinda hug it to make it stay still.
    I'll have to do so many squats if I don't add a bit of weight to it but I can't use a bar right now so this'll have to do for now.