Whole 30: 2016 Summer Challenge

Options
nunzial
nunzial Posts: 1 Member
Well I just hit the "submit" button & my Whole 30 book is on its way! I plan is to start June 1st. I am pretty nervous! It really restricts alot of food but that's the point right.. clean out our body & create a healthier self! Would love to hear about your journey & any great meal ideas! I know the headaches will come since I can only drink coffee with creamer & that's a NO NO!!

Replies

• CaptainPepperJack
    CaptainPepperJack Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi! Good luck with the Whole30, its tough but you can do it. I did it for 7 days once, same thing just had to quit because a family member was in the hospital and it threw me off track. I lost 10 lbs just in 7 days, and the inches melted off. I have not done it again since then, probably because I have no imagination - but it worked quit well for feeling better and weight loss, on such a small amount of time. But you can't cheat, not even one sweet-n-low which is my downfall and creamer for coffee... Just try to think of it not as "can't have" but "don't want"... those chemicals in your system, etc. That is what helped me.
  • chameleon1234
    chameleon1234 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did it once before. I lost a lot of weight, but had a hard time sustaining it or even just cutting out what was making me feel bad. The first week, you feel kind of rotten. But about midway through you'll start feeling pretty darned good. Look for recipes on Pinterest. There are tons..
  • Washamula
    Washamula Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm willing to check out your book! If it lines up with my goals, I'll definitely join the challenge. Thanks!
  • SorryNameTaken
    SorryNameTaken Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just started one today. It'll definitely be a difficult journey, but not an impossible one. You can definitely do it. Good luck!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Can't have artificial creamer or can't have actual dairy cream or half/half? Just curious. I could go without either for 30 days. I gave it up for Lent 2015. I gave up coffee altogether this year and never had the first headache.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Whole 30 says no dairy, and presumably no artificial creamer either.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I grew up on a dairy farm. Coffee without cream may have been a bigger sacrifice than coffee.
  • M111111111
    M111111111 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!! You can totally do it and the way you'll feel will be your reward! And you'll learn to love black coffee...
  • gatigress
    gatigress Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I want to try whole 30.. can someone point me in a good direction for information on it.. other than having to purchase a book.. :) I def love carbs and go over on my calories every day.. but I need to try something new.. with some help..
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    gatigress wrote: »
    I want to try whole 30.. can someone point me in a good direction for information on it.. other than having to purchase a book.. :) I def love carbs and go over on my calories every day.. but I need to try something new.. with some help..

@gatigress - the website covers a lot of it without needing the book. The book does have good recipes.
    http://whole30.com

Whole 30 is not low carb. People tend to run low carb on it because the diet itself eliminates a lot of popular high carb foods but it is not "low carb" per se.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Can't you use coconut milk in the place of coffee creamer on Whole 30?
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Can't you use coconut milk in the place of coffee creamer on Whole 30?

Yes, I use actual coconut cream when I'm on whole 30. You can get cans of just the cream at trader joes. My desserts were blueberries with coconut cream. Delicious.

gatigress, the website is the whole program. The book goes into the science and story behind why it was developed. I find the science fascinating, so I recommend the book.
  • sksbek
    sksbek Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good Morning..is there any special way to join into this thread/group? I am restarting Whole 30 today. It works wonderfully..... I lost 5 lbs from May 17-- June 1st and that was with going off the plan. I committed for 10 days, then derailed. I am going back, because like many others, this plan of attack makes me and my WHOLE BODY feel wonderful!!!!
  • stellagal
    stellagal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ditto to comment above! I'm starting my second round today and would love to have a support network.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    What exectly do you want to clean out and how will you know it's out?

That's hilarious. I think people should cleanse if they want but it's not for me. Can't imagine not being able to put a tablespoon or 2 of feta on my kale salads, or not being able to have a yogurt. I did a cleanse once and my journey was that I made it until lunch. I wish you better luck than me if this cleanse is one of your goals- I am sure it gets better after the first week!
  • M111111111
    M111111111 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Brithicks wrote: »
    I finished yesterday with my first whole 30. It was everything I was hoping for! Starting today, I am just going to continue on. I will be having a glass of wine or two (or three) a week and treats every now and again.
    Here are some of the things I learned and the best food I ate:
    - The store bought dressings that are compliant were not really worth the cost to me. Lemon or oil and vinegar or salsa were more satisfying for me on a salad.
    - Make your own mayo. Just do it. The compliant mayo at the store is not delicious.
    - Make dump ranch. Then make it again and play with the ingredients (make a spicy version with cayenne and chili powder).
    - Roast a huge pan of veggies or two on the weekend and eat on it all week.
    - Make at least one crockpot meat a week so you can also eat on that.
    - Make monkey salad when you are feeling like you just can't make it without a sweet treat.
    - kombucha in a wine glass might curb your wine craving.
    - Chicken apple sausages are good for breakfast or any time.
    - Lara bars in apple pie and cashew cookie (2 of the compliant flavors) come in small size bars together in a box.
    - Canned coconut milk is cheaper at trader joes and is good in coffee with a dash of cinnamon.
    - The pulled pork recipe and the coleslaw recipe on the whole 30 site are delicious! I made them both twice!
    - Chicken thighs cut into bite size pieces marinated in a compliant green chile salsa with avocado oil and cumin make a delicious meal grilled on skewers with skewers of bell pepper, onion, pineapple, and jalapeño. Serve it with guacamole and cilantro lime cauliflower rice. YUM!
    - You will get tired of eggs. Make chia pudding or eat leftovers or monkey salad or something else for breakfast.
    - You can do this. It seems hard and daunting. But you are stronger than you think. You will feel so good soon!

My dump ranch consistency is way too runny. Any tips on thickening it up?
  • Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    did you use an immersion blender? And full fat coconut milk in a can? Those are the two things that I have heard make the biggest impact.