Not losing weight!

Options
I'm eating under my caloric goal daily, around 1000-1100 calories. It's been 22 days and I've only lost 2 pounds. I've laid off the gym lately because I'm usually tired. Anyone know any reasons as to why I'm not losing weight?

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Ok, first, you should be eating at least 1200 calories.

What are your stats (Height/weight/age)?
    Are you weighing your food with a food scale?
    How tight is your logging?
  • ksilletti246
    ksilletti246 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and 134lbs. I don't weight my food but I always know how many calories I'm eating. I never eat out
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and 134lbs. I don't weight my food but I always know how many calories I'm eating. I never eat out

If you're not weighing your food, you don't know how many calories you're eating. However, you don't have a lot to lose so it's going to go slow, maybe a half pound per week. So 2lbs in 22 days isn't "not losing weight", it's actually a healthy and sustainable loss given your stats.

So, even though you are actually about where you'd be expected to be, exact calories are going to matter more and more as you go down. I highly recommend getting a food scale.
  • ksilletti246
    Options
    I look at the serving sizes but I don't actually measure and thanks!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options

If you don't actually weigh and measure then it is unlikely that you are eating 1000-1100 per day. You are losing at a rate if a little more than .5 pounds per week which is a good rate to lose especially if you don't need to lose a lot. So not measuring is working for you, but that is the reason you are losing slower than you want to.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You're already at a healthy weight, so the rate you're losing at is about what you should expect. Tighten up your logging and eat an appropriate amount of calories (set your goal to half a pound a week).
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Are you drin king your water?
  • texteach66
    texteach66 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It seems that you are at a good weight for your height. I understand that you would like to lose weight. It's especially hard when you hardly have any to lose. I agree with everyone else, make sure you're eating at least 1200 calories a day. It sounds like you're doing fine - losing about .5 pounds a week.
  • koreangurl
    koreangurl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Are you perhaps not tracking your calories properly?
  • ksilletti246
    Options
    I'm tracking them properly. I don't eat a wide variety of food. Ex. Greek yogurt 80 calories, tofu packet 300, oatmeal 100 ect. That's why I don't need to measure because there's nothing to measure. Maybe I should start going to the gym
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm tracking them properly. I don't eat a wide variety of food. Ex. Greek yogurt 80 calories, tofu packet 300, oatmeal 100 ect. That's why I don't need to measure because there's nothing to measure. Maybe I should start going to the gym

Yeh but surely you don't eat all of your food out of packages? What about fresh foods that don't have calorie labels on them?

Just as an example the bread I eat says 63g for two slices, and I have yet to see that number when I weigh them, they are always 72g or higher. Packaged foods are allowed to be 20% off, and they are usually higher. These little things all add up at the end of the week.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I dont weigh my food and have lost 33lbs so that i dont agree with. But youre eating too little i found i lose more weight when i eat 1200-1300 cal and when yiu exercise try not to eat back your calories and if you do only up to 50%. But also youre at a healthy weight right now so it is going to be harder for you to lose weight. You have to stay consistant. But definitely id raise your calorie intake. And make sure the food is healthy the less processed the better.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If you don't weigh your food, you don't actually know exactly how many calories you're eating. Even pre packaged items are off on weight. They are estimates at best. Have you noticed that eggs aren't always the same size? Same with bread slices. If you're not losing weight, you're eating more calories than you think, especially at your height. It's not about not going to the gym or anything, you must weigh your food since weight loss is all about eating less calories than your body needs to maintain its current weight. Exercise isn't really for weight loss. I've lost weight without much exercise. You should be eating at least 1200 and losing .5-1lb per week.

You have lost a little over .5 per week. For you, that is actually a good rate considering that you don't have that much to lose...

ericatoday wrote: »
    I dont weigh my food and have lost 33lbs so that i dont agree with. But youre eating too little i found i lose more weight when i eat 1200-1300 cal and when yiu exercise try not to eat back your calories and if you do only up to 50%. But also youre at a healthy weight right now so it is going to be harder for you to lose weight. You have to stay consistant. But definitely id raise your calorie intake. And make sure the food is healthy the less processed the better.

Definitely, weighing food is not a prerequisite for losing weight, millions of people lose weight just fine without weighing a single morsel.
    However, if someone is stalling or gaining then incorrect food logging would be the first place I'd look..
    This. Guessing calorie estimates isn't accurate.

• ksilletti246
    Options
    But if packaged foods are allowed to be 20% off, then doesn't that go for foods that measure in grams? It's still a label. I lost 60 pounds by calorie counting and not measuring a few years ago so I don't think calorie counting is an issue I was just wondering if I may have hit a wall or something
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    But if packaged foods are allowed to be 20% off, then doesn't that go for foods that measure in grams? It's still a label. I lost 60 pounds by calorie counting and not measuring a few years ago so I don't think calorie counting is an issue I was just wondering if I may have hit a wall or something

You haven't hit a wall. You, by your own statement, are losing weight. You are simply not losing at the rate you want.
    You are within a healthy weight range and the most you can realistically expect to lose is .5lb a week.

On top of that, there is a good chance you are underestimating you calorie intake.

Not a wall.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    You are losing! And you're losing at a very healthy rate. Reset your expectations.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

Going to the gym will help, but you still won't know exactly how much you are eating. Like everyone has said, with so little to lose you really need to count your calories very accurately. If you do start working out you will need to eat a little more to compensate for the extra burn. 1000-1100 calories will not properly fuel your body.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    If you're tired now, going to the gym is only going to make that worse because I am going to go out on a limb and guess you won't eat back any exercise calories.

You're losing at a perfectly acceptable rate. As others have said, reset your expectations.