Plantar fasciitis

Options

Replies

• BettyEtte
    BettyEtte Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sounds crazy, but I swear by Crocs ballerina flats. Maybe the knubby things under the heel? Anyway, my PF has greatly improved since I started wearing them.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The ACE foot brace was only $24 at my store.
    Many people say crocs helps them. I would love to know why exactly.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    That's reasonable. My store was outrageous. It was not a chain (the CVS didn't have it) but a mom-n-pop. They are interestingly out of business now 10 years later....but I refused to pay more than twice the price just to buy local.
  • jpneugebauer
    jpneugebauer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    See your friendly PT (Can you tell what I do for a living??
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I didn't see it mentioned here but one of the biggest tips I found was to try not to walk around barefoot at all... Even walking around inside. I always wear sneakers around inside and I find it's pretty much gone now
  • drummer_lady
    drummer_lady Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Definitely see a podiatrist or a physiotherapist to find the underlying cause and help correct it. For me it was really low arches (needed to get custom orthotics) and weak calves (for which I do stretches and strength building exercises multiple times a week). I have been dealing with plantar fasciitis for nearly 2 years now and it has only started to get better in the last few months since I started seeing a good physiotherapist regularly. I am finally able to start running again!

Everything else mentioned above is important too - find good supportive shoes to wear, stretch your calves, ice your feet, avoid high impact activities, etc. When I'm at home, I wear Orthaheel slippers made by Vionic, which are specifically made to help plantar fasciitis.
  • ALG775
    ALG775 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've had it 3 times (at 205, 210 and 240). The first two times I cured it by getting pregnant! This was not an option the third time ;)

Along with the calf stretches and massages on the bottom of the feet, I also tried ESWT- shock wave therapy- this helped a lot. Reduced my pain by 75%. The final thing that helped was stretching and getting deep tissue massage on my ham strings. That did the trick.

Keep trying different things- visit a podiatrist, physio, chiro-it can be persistent
    Good luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    BuddhaB0y wrote: »
    I didn't see it mentioned here but one of the biggest tips I found was to try not to walk around barefoot at all... Even walking around inside. I always wear sneakers around inside and I find it's pretty much gone now

i found the complete opposite to work for me. putting my foot in a shoe that constricted it wasn't working.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    ALG775 wrote: »
    I've had it 3 times (at 205, 210 and 240). The first two times I cured it by getting pregnant!

I tried that with very little success.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

I used the gel packs religiously for a long time.

I did not do extra walking at first-- only chair and floor exercises and swimming and upper body weight machines.
  • leviathas
    leviathas Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had it for years. Reduced my running significantly (in intensity and length) and it almost went away. Comes back when I over stress my feet. But the towel grab and drop movement as well as rolling over a can/ball really helps. That and Advil. And heel pads.
  • MRbigGUYXXL
    MRbigGUYXXL Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Marshachia
    Marshachia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had this for a year after walking on a reflexology pool. The pain is totally gone now, probably due to red krill oil.
  • jenxbennett
    jenxbennett Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Crocs and stretches cured mine. It wasn't very fashionable, but it worked. Wear them even in the house.
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have had success with exercise that strengthens the foot, ankle, calves- without putting pressure on heels- especially if has dorsiflexion component.
    Includes cycling both stationary and road, high incline elliptical, stair treadmill, rowing machine & swimming.
    Then ice thoroughly & take ibuprofen so I can still walk the next day.
    Also I like to sleep on my stomach with my feet hanging off the end of the bed to avoid prolonged plantar flexion at night.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    look at MBT's (shoes)
    they are a lifesaver
  • vilyda123
    vilyda123 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I tried everything but what helped me are insoles with arch support and cortisone injections.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    What worked for me, was wearing snickers as much as possible with gel cushioned insert, even inside, if you standing around, like while cooking or walking a lot. Before you get up in the morning, do a very good stretch, by pulling your toes as hard as possible towards the knees, you can use towel to help you pull if it's difficult, just put your foot into it and gently pull giving bottom of your foot a great stretch. When you have 10 minutes or so, even while at your desk or watching tv, basically few times a day, roll frozen water bottle. I found that Gatorade bottles are the best because they have ribbed surface and thick enough and don't break, so you can reuse them. Open one, fill almost full with water and freeze. When you roll it with your foot, put pressure on it, it will stretch the fascia and keep it cool, it's very helpful. And, very important, wear foot brace . I wore mine all day every day , they help keep fascia stretched and allows it to heal. I bought mine online, but you can find them in cvs now. It's just an adjustable piece that wraps around your foot. I never wore boot at night, it could be uncomfortable, but throughout the night, if you happen to wake up a little, just stretch again, pull your toes up towards the knee as much as you can. Good luck, op.
  • stephbaim
    stephbaim Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So to preface, I used to be an elite martial arts athlete and when I retired, I took up running to stay in shape and fell in love with it.

I have been suffering from PF for 15 months now. I was in the best shape of my life, then boom. The first podiatrist put me in a boot and scheduled physical therapy and I'm to sleep in a night splint. It seemed to help but it came back worse than before. Then we went the cortisone route with physical therapy again (still in night splint). Once the shot wore off it came back even worse than before. Orthopedic inserts are ordered.

Enter new orthopedic surgeon. I've developed tendinitis in my opposite leg knee due to the boot I was in. Put me on an oral steroid and then was told to get Active Release Therapy from a Chiropractor (still in night splint). The ART was good (painful), but my calves would be good one day and tighter than before the next and they told me it wasn't helping. In addition, I've now developed PF in my other foot and have sciatia. Back to doc #2, another round of steroid shots (one in each foot this time). He keeps saying "this will just go away on it's own."

I had a visit with my general practitioner doctor and she was not happy about the 4 steroid shots and 1 round of oral steroids. I gained 10 lbs with each steroid treatment. They have me on meloxicam for inflammation now long term.

I have started getting adjustments from a Chiropractor to my neck and spine. In just 3 weeks the sciatica is completely nonexistent. As a result I'm able to do yoga, which is helping keep my calves stretched. Usually the pain comes back 5-6 weeks after the cortisone shot, this weekend will be week 4. I'm still sensing some pain in my right leg, but my left (I pray) seems better. I'll know for sure in anther two weeks.

To be honest, it has been a horrible 15 months. I went from running 27 min 5ks (better than when I was a teen) to being told not to do any exercise. Even low impact workouts (if I'm up on my feet) seem to hurt. The stationary bike helps, but my right knee will tighten up after 20 minutes. I'd love a weight lifting routine I can do that will raise my heart rate but is very low impact (no plyo).
  • stephbaim
    stephbaim Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The ACE foot brace was only $24 at my store.
    Many people say crocs helps them. I would love to know why exactly.

I have a pair of crocs flip flops that I wear especially indoors. They have the perfect arch support built into them. Walking bare foot seems to make the issue worse, so being able to have a pair of slip on shoes with gentle arch support really seems to help.