I will be fasting for religious reasons in a few weeks

Options
2»

Replies

• incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I'll be fasting, too :) I'll be bumping up to 1500 and splitting the calories between dawn and evening.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    I would measure out typical Ramadan meals in a dance so you know what a portion looks like, that way you don't have to weigh out your food in front of your family every day. Have a blessed Ramadan!

Picturing someone twirling around in the kitchen with a scale and a measuring cup. Lol.

I was gonna say the same thing.

Dang autocorrect! Though that would be something to see ;) (i meant in advance)
  • Kelkein
    Kelkein Posts: 19 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @yazpistachio I definitely won't be skipping it! Suhoor is usually the time where me and my family eat like goddamn monsters, so I wouldn't worry about it haha. Thank you and ramadan kareem!

@akf2000 I remember that I tried doing IF for a while, but I failed. I believe ramadan will be rather different though, because my family and friends will be doing it with me too. I'm kind of thinking about trying IF again after the holiday, maybe I'll be a little used to it by then. Thanks!

@sobiakhatoon Personally, I'm thinking about skipping the gym for a while, but I'll definitely keep doing my daily walk. I think you should keep exercising during ramadan, but maybe with a different activity if you find those ones too tiring. Ramadan Kareem to you!

@moe0303 I'll be doing some sick moves while weighing my food, don't you worry about a thing.

@Vegplotter I don't think it can be considered an illness in this situation and, even then, I'm not that overweight. I actually never thought about what "modern ramadan" could be like, but it's definitely and interesting subject. I'll take a look, thanks!

@srecupid What I'm mostly worried about is overeating. You know how delicious traditional meals are haha. Thanks for the advice, I'll take that into account. Thank you!

@dhimaan Thank you! I'll will try to do so

@incisron I'll try to do the same then! Ramadan kareem!

@Vingogly Thank you! Your fast seems way harder though, I wish you luck!

• Kelkein
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    Like all things religious I don't get it. If the point of the fast is to be more reflective of your faith, then focusing on the ability to "eat like goddamn monsters" makes the whole thing seem ridiculous. As a previous poster suggested, trying to make up for few hours of fasting with a glutinous overindulgence is a sickness.

I totally agree with you, but being religious doesn't mean we don't have other things coming in my life. Yeah, it's great and all to be reflective of our faith but that's not what's going to get me through the exams, the important events, the workouts. I still want to do what I believe in without it being a burden on the other things in my life.

Besides, I was kidding. Of course I won't eat and drink like a monster. Juste enough to get me through the day haha.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Kelkein wrote: »
    Hi! Some of you must've guessed from the title; this year, I will be doing ramadan, a religious holiday.

Now I've always been that person who goes a little overboard in the family when we break the fast at night.

I have no idea if I can actually eat 1,600 calories all at once as I've only started weighing my food and counting the calories this year. I also know that it can be a little annoying to weigh my food around my family, especially on these special occasions.

Do you think I should do it anyway and stick with the food scale and the calorie counting even though I won't be eating anything for most of the day? Is it possible to eat my daily calories during one big meal?

Thanks for reading and please tell me what you think!

It is possible to eat 1600 calories in a meal. If you don't want to weigh food around family, I would just take very small portions of what you want to eat, eat slowly, and enjoy the conversation and fun after the fast.

Good luck on your fast, as well as your community meal afterward! :)
  • Kelkein
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Kelkein wrote: »
    Hi! Some of you must've guessed from the title; this year, I will be doing ramadan, a religious holiday.

Now I've always been that person who goes a little overboard in the family when we break the fast at night.

I have no idea if I can actually eat 1,600 calories all at once as I've only started weighing my food and counting the calories this year. I also know that it can be a little annoying to weigh my food around my family, especially on these special occasions.

Do you think I should do it anyway and stick with the food scale and the calorie counting even though I won't be eating anything for most of the day? Is it possible to eat my daily calories during one big meal?

Thanks for reading and please tell me what you think!

It is possible to eat 1600 calories in a meal. If you don't want to weigh food around family, I would just take very small portions of what you want to eat, eat slowly, and enjoy the conversation and fun after the fast.

Good luck on your fast, as well as your community meal afterward! :)

Thank you! I'll do :blush:
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Ramadan Kareem to you, 2.
    It will involve plenty of fruit, veggies, chicken and enchiladas.
  • aureum79
    aureum79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am fasting too actually did 1 fast during shaban and what I did was I split my calories into 2 as I started intermetted fasting last month 2nd April it was easy apart from getting thirsty as I now drink a lot and I mean a lot of water and green tea as well what I found during the fast was it was better to have a heavy meal at suhoor and light meal after magrib eg lots of vegetables and fruit salad with not added sugar keep it plain and simple.Also plan ahead what you are going to eat it really helps and don't be afraid to tweek it I keep on adding or change what ever I want to it.That way I can have lots of variety.I know it's going to be hard for us as we have longer fast and as it will be during summer time but I am pretty sure we can go this properly.And Ramadan kareem to all who are fasting this year.
  • Kelkein
    Options
    Hey, thanks for the advice, I'll make sure to use it well. Ramadan kareem!
  • Maria_Fatima
    Maria_Fatima Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Muslim here too! Ramadan is super near, and it's actually an incredible opportunity to lose weight! New research says that 2 large meals are way more beneficial for weight loss than even 6 small meals or obviously, 3 regular meals.
    You should take more protein during sehri though.
    Also, you don't have to annoy everyone with the counting. We all know what the usual items for iftar are. Check and record their calories in advance. Then when you record your sehri, you'll know how many more calories you can take for iftar. Check from your chart then what it allows you to eat beforehand and when you sit on the table with everyone else, just consciously eat only as much as you already planned. That's what I do. Others around you don't even need to know you did anything!
    I try to workout as well before iftar but that's mostly because I have very little responsibility of preparing the food. If you do have it, then naturally, you cant workout, but calorie counting is a must! And it's just the initial days when youre googling a lot and checking the database to get the closest accurate estimate you can. Later, you just have to add it from your chart and plan your meal.
    Good luck! I hope I can lose some weight this Ramadan too!
  • Kelkein
    Options
    Yeah, I also expect Ramadan to be a great opportunity since I'll be doing it with other people, which is pretty helpful to me.Thank you for the advice, and ramadan kareem!
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    The advance checking and pre-logging of ttraditional foods is a super idea, Maria Fatima!