Do you eat your calories you earn?

Options
I have recently been exercising more and I have been tempted to eat the calories I earn. Is this okay or am I just letting my hardwork go to waste?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
  • fatbgone77
    fatbgone77 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Thank you! This was a really informative read. I am still fairly new to this and all of the info on this subject gets a little overwhelming. It's nice to see what fellow MFP users do. Thanks again!
  • DTrain351
    DTrain351 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    LOL not only is it overwhelming but there's lots of experts.:)

I didn't read the article so I hope I don't contradict it. But, personally I don't eat back the calories earned. Unless I'm trying to maintain that weight, bf and muscle mass. Eating your BMR and calories burned through activity is essentially how you maintain ur weight. Your composition may change though.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I sometimes don't have a choice lol It's 8am here and I just prelogged my day, and I'm 200 calories over. By the time i go to bed it will be in the green again. It's no biggie, as I exercise everyday anyway.

In answer to your question, sometimes i eat all of them back, sometimes half and other times none at all, it really depends on the day and my hunger levels.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    DTrain351 wrote: »

I didn't read the article so I hope I don't contradict it. But, personally I don't eat back the calories earned. Unless I'm trying to maintain that weight, bf and muscle mass. Eating your BMR and calories burned through activity is essentially how you maintain ur weight. Your composition may change though.

Considering your weight loss deficit is factored into your calorie goal, eating back exercise calories doesn't affect your deficit. Especially if you are only eating back a portion of your calorie burns (which is fairly common here as we all know the burns aren't 100% accurate).

All not eating back your calories does is make your deficit bigger, which if you're on a 1200 calorie diet could lead to negative effects to your health.
  • fatbgone77
    fatbgone77 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Really good insights! Thank you all. I agree that sometimes it depends on my hunger level that day too. Yesterday I didn't eat anything I earned back but today I felt really starved and want to keep earning to keep eating! LOL
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Also, don't forget you can go by a weekly calorie goal. Some people save up their calories so they can have high days over the weekend, or cheat days or whatever.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,987 Member
    Options

The article basically explains the different calculations. If you used a tdee calculator it includes exercise so you don't eat exercise calories. If you use MFP's calorie goal it does not include exercise and you should eat back some of the exercise calories. I eat back most of mine and lose fine. When I don't eat them all I lose faster than expected. The best thing to do if you are using MFP's formula is to eat back 50% and after about 4 weeks reevaluate and either eat more or less depending on if you are losing faster or slower than desired.
  • DTrain351
    DTrain351 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I see what you guys are saying. I guess i dont use MFP as it was meant to be used. In my situation it's nearly impossible to eat back the calories. I have to go to a weekly average type system as mentioned by Christine72. Keep in mind all of my numbers are strictly educated guesses as I do not have the equipment to accurately measure anything. So, my bmr is about 1800 cal and I set my goal at 2400-3000 cal with a 40/40/20 macro split. If I go ride a bike I typically will go 50 miles in hilly terrain with a descent cadence. A couple programs I use estimate my cal burn at anywhere from 3500-4500 cal...depending on the ride. It would be nearly impossible to eat 5900-7500 cal in a day. I mean I could do it but that's all I'd do all day...eat. playing ice hockey is estimated at an 800-1000 cal burn for a game. Even at that, eating my base 2400-3000 cal plus 1000 more is tough. Pro bodybuilders on steroids only consume about 4000-6000 cal a day. So, I do serious cal burn on bike and hockey days. On strength & conditioning days i eat...probably in excess of what my body requires. I don't personally use MFP for anything other then tracking food/cal intake and macro split. I try to measure success or trends by body fat tests. At 6', 235 and just shy of 15%BF it seems to work. 2400-3000 cal a day seems to keep me where im at. Yea, my knuckles drag:) For me weekly averaging works better then daily deficits and eat backs.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,922 Member
    Options
    I eat most, but not all, of my exercise calories. After all, exercise does require fuel.
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

The article basically explains the different calculations. If you used a tdee calculator it includes exercise so you don't eat exercise calories. If you use MFP's calorie goal it does not include exercise and you should eat back some of the exercise calories. I eat back most of mine and lose fine. When I don't eat them all I lose faster than expected. The best thing to do if you are using MFP's formula is to eat back 50% and after about 4 weeks reevaluate and either eat more or less depending on if you are losing faster or slower than desired.

Yeah pretty much all of this!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Of course! eat back 50-75% of all exercise calories, what better incentive to get up and moving :smile:
    MFP is set up so you are meant to eat back exercise calories, sometimes those burns are over inflated hence the advice is not to eat them all back.