food allergy?

Options
psicocat
psicocat Posts: 60 Member
Hi

I am a veteran at weight loss, having lost 9 stone. I have been at goal for about 2 years.

What I would like peoples opinions on is food allergies.

I know I am wheat and lactose intolerant after being under a dietician and following a fodmap elimination diet.

But sometimes I eat something that causes my tongue to swell, to get mouth ulcers and sometimes ear ache. I gain 4 - 7 lbs over night so there is obviously inflammation and sulphur burps.

Yesterday being a prime example, I did eat some wheat and lactose that day, my usual symptoms being colon spasms, diarrhea followed by constipation.

I feel that it maybe onion or diet cola that gives me the mouth reactions, both of which I ate yesterday, both on reading up about this answers are unclear.

I ate oats, almond milk, apple, plum, beef burger no bun, 2 onion rings, handful of chips, green salad, chicken breast, bacon slice, and a snicker. I don't have a nut allergy.

Thanks for any advice you can give. :D

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    If you believe you have an actual allergy, see an allergist.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    If you believe you have an actual allergy, see an allergist.

Basically this. Any of those foods could cause an allergic reaction... In someone who is allergic to them. Are we supposed to just guess which one it might be? Allergies can develop later in life, so you can become allergic to something that you never had a reaction to before--you definitely need to see an allergist if it's a concern.
  • psicocat
    psicocat Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm more thinking are people familiar with onions causing an allergy and symptoms. I'm not asking anyone to guess, so please get off the band wagon. I asked for opinion.

Here an allergist costs money I don't have, the NHS are great but not fast or efficient, but thank you
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    A swelling tongue is not minor. Something like that could cut off your airway. If you don't already carry an epipen with you, you might want to start.

Given your sensitivity to wheat, it's possible you're sensitive to lectins.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    I get a bit of a rash and burning around my mouth when I eat lots of fresh pineapple ... but when your tongue swells, that's time to seek medical attention immediately.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I ate so many eggs at one point when I was dieting I developed an "allergy"/sensitivity to them. I went to the allergist and they told me I was allergic to them. I gave up eating them for about 2 years. I can eat them now, but not everyday just a few times a week. I get the upset stomach, a rash, bloating and awful gas. White wines will also do the same thing to me. I think it's rare to go into anaphylactic shock from eggs. If your tongue swells that is a symptom you should not take lightly. You should be tested. You can give your doctor a call and leave a message for the nurse. They can direct you on what to do.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Oh, also they put me on a food elimination diet. I restricted eggs for a period of time and then reintroduced them to find out if that was bothering me. I don't think I would do that on my own if your tongue was swelling. They gave me an Epipen in case I needed it.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Tongue swelling is an emergency. Anything you are allergic to could cause that reaction so we have no way of knowing if it's the onions or something else for you.

If you can't afford an allergist then avoid anything and everything different you had that day is only advice I could give. I would not try elimination and reintroduction diet/testing without a doctors close supervision since you have described a serious and possibly life threatening allergic reaction.

My mouth swells with different foods than you have mentioned. All are foods I previously ate without issues.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Your allergy doesn't sound like mine. I am allergic to eggs. As in I get hives, my lips swell, my throat swells, etc. I was born with it and never outgrew it. I get anaphylaxis. My tongue has never swelled though, nor does it give me ulcer or an earache. Nor does it cause me to gain weight.

• Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I developed a nut allergy in my 30s. Prior to that I could eat nuts with no problems and then one day...bam. Tongue felt weird and I kept coughing. I went to an allergist who said the reaction would likely get worse with each exposure, so I carry an epi-pen.

I also have a tingly feeling in my mouth when I eat raw pineapple or plums. Testing showed this reaction is just annoying and won't get any worse.

I would encourage you to keep notes on what you eat each time you have a reaction and to see an allergist.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    While I clearly cannot tell you what you are allergic to, I can say that you should probably get an epi pen immediately. I have a severe allergy to shellfish which developed as an adult. I had one month of hives off and on and suddenly ended up in the emergency room twice with my airways closing.

You might want to check the ingredient list of the chips or other processed foods you ate. I am sometimes surprised by packaging that lists strange ingredients including crab extract.